Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Steering wheel "notchy" at highway-speed driving?

57K views 188 replies 66 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, some of you may know my car was having this issue as well as many of you have reported yours doing the same thing.

I had to go duplicate the steering issue for the dealer to actually see it - driving dead-on straight at highway speeds (I've noticed it at 60-75 and never at lower speeds). After 5-10 seconds of no steering input, the steering wheel "locks" until you give it a little jerk of feedback to get it to respond. It feels like it could potentially be unsafe to me.

I got a call back from the dealer today. Apparently GM Technical Support has been getting a TON of complaints about this, and they will be releasing a technical service bulletin early next year to address this issue on the Cruze. This makes me think that perhaps they have a redesigned part in the works. :1poke:

In the meantime, they are replacing my steering rack at 9,700 miles. I'll keep you updated as I learn more about this issue.

#2 ·
its a very unsafe feeling when it happens, really glad I was driving & not my girlfriend. Mine quit doing it(for now) but I will definitely take it in sometime after christmas & have them take a look.

Passing a car at 65-75mph on the interstate & having the wheel twitch/pull/drop in a notch to the right 1/8-1/4 inch is very sketchy at best. As unsafe as this felt, it should be a recall.

#27 ·
Hello Bohdan,

If you decide to get this looked into, please be sure to keep us updated on your progress with the dealership. We're available to work with you through that process if you like (send us a direct message with more information including your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Stacy), Chevrolet Customer Service

#4 ·
Glad you got some information on this. This happened to me in the past, but I haven't noticed it at all in the past few months. Unfortunately, this won't be a recall unless enough people complain to NHTSA about it. If NHTSA performs an investigation, a recall will be inevitable, but for now, it will be nothing more than a TSB.

#6 ·
In times like this, I would recommend contacting GM to have a case on file. If GM service engineering has received many complaints about this problem, you will have much better luck getting it resolved if they are in communication with your dealership. Your dealership may have not heard about the problem, but GM certainly has. This way, the issue will also be on file with GM should you have any issues related to this part again outside of the bumper to bumper warranty.

#7 ·
I've recently noticed this on my Cruze as well (now at about 6,500 miles). I don't think it's dangerous-yet, but it is a little annoying. To me it is akin to the center-dead zone I've felt on any number of vehicles with fully hydraulic power steering systems. I will follow up with my dealer to see about getting a fix when the TSB comes out.

#10 ·
You know its funny but I hadnt really thought about it myself, but now that you mention it after 30k miles on my car since last December I notice that mine does that too! when I'm on the highway and travelling in a straight line for a while. The second I touch the steering wheel it feels as if I have to give it a very light tug before it responds.

Reactions: bbdhomer
#11 ·
My 2011 had the same symptoms. Dealer found a bulletin directing them to replace the steering gear. They did and it fixed it....... for 8 months. The exact same symptoms are back. Called dealer last week and he called GM Engineering. They want the stamping numbers off the new rack gear. I guess I will find out if they have a new and improved gear.

#30 ·
upstater,
I would like to apologize for the issues you have experienced with your Cruze. I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#12 ·
I'm glad to hear they are looking into it. My 2011 Eco MT with 21,000 miles has been doing it intermittently. Unfortunately when I took it to my dealer, they could not replicate the problem. I can't say I'm surprised as in my case it's a very minor notch, but it does get annoying on long road trips.

#31 ·
Maxzillian,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. I understand your concerns as well as frustrations with this. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
Thank you,

#13 ·
I'd like to report back on this with regard to my personal experience.

To re-cap, I had this issue when I first got the car, and noticed it back in August as well during my road trip out to Detroit/Lordstown. However, I had a bit of highway driving to do last night; all in all about 80 miles in 3 separate sessions, and I could not reproduce the problem. I honestly don't remember the last time that I did have the problem.

This is not just me defending GM here, but my own symptoms would not be what I'd consider a safety concern when I did have the issue. It is at worst an annoyance and an inconvenience. If the conditions are bad enough to where a very light twitch of the steering wheel would send you in to a ditch, you shouldn't be on the road anyway. I would certainly consider the notch to be a light one and not something that would require significant force to overcome.

All this said, I will certainly report back if the problem returns. For the record, my Cruze now has just over 16,500 miles on it.

#14 ·
It's really freaking annoying. Usually happens after you've been on the road for a while. If I'm paying $20,000 for a new car, I want it to drive smoothly - or GM to fix it til it does.

upstater said:
My 2011 had the same symptoms. Dealer found a bulletin directing them to replace the steering gear. They did and it fixed it....... for 8 months. The exact same symptoms are back. Called dealer last week and he called GM Engineering. They want the stamping numbers off the new rack gear. I guess I will find out if they have a new and improved gear.
Let us know what you find out if you would. I'll also ask tomorrow whether mine was replaced with a new part # or not in the hopes that it was and this issue won't happen again.

#16 ·
Hmm, so just talked with the service manager. The new part is in, but apparently is not a different part number or redesigned part.

He doesn't know what the TSB being put out will entail, whether it is just a software update/recalibration or a new PS rack part #.

#20 ·
Add another person to the list of people having this problem. Mine is slight and I've been told "I'm just imagining it". It's good to know I'm not the only one with a wild imagination.

To me it feels more like a delay in the steering picking up on any movement than a "locking" feel. As if the steering controller fell asleep and needed to get woken up.

#32 ·
MyShibbyEco,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Cruze. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response as well as being able to assist you with your concerns.
Thank you,

#26 ·
I'm honestly not sure which I'd rather have. I like the feel of traditional hydraulic power steering. But I've had too many leaky racks on old cars (all 3 were over the 200K mark, though). I wonder what the average lifespan of electric PS is?

#28 · (Edited)
Got my car back yesterday. It drives quite well now, no sticking issues at all. I think the re-alignment actually helped it track better on the highway as well.

The Silverado was the coolest rental car I've had - a lot of fun to drive, great to throw a Christmas tree in the back of, but definitely glad to have my Cruze back. It's a lot more spunky and I can actually afford to put gas in it.

Looks like my steering rack was replaced with part number 13372109 and reprogrammed with new software - do any of the GM service techs here know if that is indeed a new part number? Looking at GM parts online, it says to use on vehicles built "after B7214620".

Text Document Paper Paper product

The service department at this dealership is GREAT - best experience I've had with a Chevy dealer since owning my car.

#33 ·
Got my car back yesterday. It drives quite well now, no sticking issues at all. I think the re-alignment actually helped it track better on the highway as well.

The Silverado was the coolest rental car I've had - a lot of fun to drive, great to throw a Christmas tree in the back of, but definitely glad to have my Cruze back. It's a lot more spunky and I can actually afford to put gas in it.

Looks like my steering rack was replaced with part number 13372109 and reprogrammed with new software - do any of the GM service techs here know if that is indeed a new part number? Looking at GM parts online, it says to use on vehicles built "after B7214620".

View attachment 9571

The service department at this dealership is GREAT - best experience I've had with a Chevy dealer since owning my car.

I'm glad to hear that you had such a good experience with your new dealer!! That is great to hear! I am also happy that your Cruze is back to new! Time to enjoy your Cruze again! :th_dblthumb2:

~Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#29 ·
I wonder why the software update? If the rack was the same no software update should have been required.

#34 ·
Well I heard back from GM last night.

They said they investigated the issue and contacted my dealer for further questioning. Nothing was able to be determined through the dealer, and I was told multiple times that GM techs and engineering have never once heard of this or had a complaint of this issue.

I even said a 5 second google search will show that many are suffering from the issue. GM still has not heard of the problem however.
I was advised that I simply have to wait until it becomes prominent enough that the dealership can recreate it without and struggle.

#35 ·
Ugh...I love it when the dealers are a complete waste of your time.

Seriously, I wouldn't bother bringing my car all the way out to you and wasting my time AND YOURS if there wasn't an issue with my car.

See if you can find another dealer that isn't staffed by liars and ask them to go on a test drive with you. GM is well aware of this problem, even if the dealer isn't.

#36 ·
I actually really like the dealership. I do understand that it can be a difficult thing to duplicate and their hands are tied if they know nothing of it.

What I do find hard to believe though is that GM has never heard of this issue. I'm pretty sure I've seen online reps responding to this very issue many times on here.

Then again, they aren't able to provide me with any help since I'm in Canada.

Once I get some time and am able to duplicate it easier I am going to go back to the dealer and drive with them myself.

#37 ·
I wonder if GM Canada is out of the loop on this?

#40 ·
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service, what is the US GM number to call with this problem? this is the second thread that I have been on with this issue. I have called 1-800-521-7300 and was connected with someone in Buenos Aries. I had a hard time understanding the person and they had no information about this problem. Or, how can I contact you? I am new to this site and not getting the hang of it. Thanks.

#41 ·
Mine seems to be about the same however as we travel at 60mph the slight notch can be felt when you try to move the wheel to the left but moving the wheel to the right all is well no notch bind. In time GM may have a better part as a warrenty replacement till then no point having another new old stock unit installed and then having the same problem again.

#42 ·
I'm starting to notice the notch at speeds as low as 30 MPH. Does anyone know if the steering gear is plastic?

#44 ·
I asked to take a look at the old parts. They were grudging about it, but obliged. The steering gears with inputs to the sensors are indeed plastic, which may or may not be part of the problem.

I think the sensors are going into a "sleep mode" of some sort. What I did notice when this was happening was that while the steering wheel seemed "stuck" for a little bit, very small inputs were acknowledged by the steering shaft directly connected to the rack itself. It was just like driving a car without power steering for a brief second.

#45 ·
Plastic worm gears in a car. They really should be brass or some other durable metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.