I can't take much more of this - Page 3

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I can't take much more of this

4th Gear
    I think I would take a look at the battery connections. Weird messages on a cold start might be caused by a brief low voltage spike. The rough running could be related. That is only a guess on my part.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

I've seen lots of pictures of iridium plugs that have 100-120k miles on them looking immaculate. I really doubt the plugs are the issue.

And, my $70 Autel MS509 scanner can read history codes, and do live data. Well worth it for a modern car owner.

If the car had been sitting for a few days before getting started, a cold, low-voltage battery can do some funny things. And before folks get their panties in a wad over replacing the battery on a 1.5 to 2 year old car, it's a well-known issue that certain car batteries only last 1.5-2 years. I already went through on our Fit when it was just over 2 years old and just out of warranty. It's well-documented on the Fit boards that the OEM battery is shot after about 2-3 years. And that battery is Honda-dealer-only, and $170. I had to replace the OEM tires on it later that spring, too. Throw another $600 at the car...

If the diagnostic did not find anything to cover under a warranty or service campaign, they're going to charge you. Sucks, but the mechanics have to put food onto the table too. Oh, and buy their own tools to work on your car.
    jsusanka likes this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Your situation is what I refer to as a Fluke. something I learned from my Father actually and it has happened to me at least once on every vehicle I have ever owned including my LS cruze. Not the eco yet though.

In my LS I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and after about 20 minutes the rpms started to rise and fall rapidly. almost stalling the car. i revved it once or twice but it still went right back into rhythm with the rise and fall. I turned it off, waited a moment and turned it back on. Never saw the problem again.

I have about 5 or 6 more stories just like this from other vehicles as well. It was a fluke. Hats off to you for trying to get your $80 back.
    2012 Cruze LS <Totaled
    2012 Cruze Eco < Totaled

I'm here for moral support

The Gearheads Guild

Quote Originally Posted by The_Madcat View Post
    What else have you had it in for?
    I too am curious as to what other problems you've had with your Cruze ...

On a side note, I had a 2003 GMC Yukon that had "ghost" issues, even though I bought it with 4.6 miles on the odo! Every once in awhile, the radio wouldn't work, as in, no volume, but it was powered on and "functioning" other than volume. the ONLY way I could get it to work was to shut off the truck, arm/disarm the factory alarm system, then start it up again, and it was fixed.

Ironically, I have an issue with the radio volume on my Eco that pops up once it awhile as well ... where I'll be sitting at idle and the "automatic volume control" apparently thinks I've gone from 0-70 in .2 seconds, then back to 0, so the volume gets really loud for those .2 seconds, then back to normal.

Gremlins I tell ya! (and not the actual car)
    Last edited by spaycace; 12-28-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD-traded for'14 GMC Acadia Denali AWD-Traded for '14 Escalade ESV AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos & 680 ponies to the wheels!

Learning about my Cruze
    Busted shifter bushings at, 4k miles, trip home from Florida 1000 miles missing gears. A heater reprogram after controls quit working and had to ride down the highway with the windows down in winter due to not being able to shut off the heat. A new ac compressor, new ac condenser, new thermostat assembly, antifreeze overflow cap was leaking antifreeze and needed replaced. New window switch panel on drivers side door. I am probably leaving something out still.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.8L 6 speed manual, 46K Miles

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Campuscop2003 View Post
    Busted shifter bushings at, 4k miles, trip home from Florida 1000 miles missing gears. A heater reprogram after controls quit working and had to ride down the highway with the windows down in winter due to not being able to shut off the heat. A new ac compressor, new ac condenser, new thermostat assembly, antifreeze overflow cap was leaking antifreeze and needed replaced. New window switch panel on drivers side door. I am probably leaving something out still.
    Either your LS is a complete lemon or your dealer was really scraping for work when you visited for service. That's a lot of issues and a lot of specious "fixes" that buff the service writer's monthly revenue numbers, and maybe just let the tech who worked on your car to flag a lot of flat-rate hours while spending much less actual time on it. It also sounds like they just shotgunned parts at it instead of diagnosing the car properly.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    Either your LS is a complete lemon or your dealer was really scraping for work when you visited for service. That's a lot of issues and a lot of specious "fixes" that buff the service writer's monthly revenue numbers, and maybe just let the tech who worked on your car to flag a lot of flat-rate hours while spending much less actual time on it. It also sounds like they just shotgunned parts at it instead of diagnosing the car properly.
    All of those problems were spread over the last year and a half and all of the new parts were definitely needed. This car is a lemon. The shifter bushings for example were completely busted which caused the car to kick out of gear. The thermostat heater failed and caused a mil light so the had to replace the thermostat assembly. I believe all the diagnosis except the one this week about the plugs. Calling this car a lemon would be an insult to lemons!!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.8L 6 speed manual, 46K Miles

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by Campuscop2003 View Post
    On Friday t after the car sat for approximately 8.5 hours, I started the car to go home. After sitting in the parking space for about 30 seconds to one minute the engine started running very rough like only two cylinders were running. A message saying to service the traction control system came on the center DIC as well as the traction control warning light. The check engine light was also blinking at this point. I left the car run for another 45 seconds too see if any of the lights would go out and they did not. I shut the car off, waited about a minute then started the car again. After restarting the car all the lights were off and the car ran completely normal. During the whole incident the car was sitting in a parking space and was not driven. I called onstar to run a diagnostic on the car and they found nothing. I was advised by a GM customer service rep to have the car checked out.

Today I take it in to get looked at and there telling me that's its due to bad spark plugs. They told me there is a tsb although i could not find it. That when the check engine light comes o the traction control warnings automatically go off. Due to it being spark plugs I was charged $80 to look at it. Is since when do spark plugs stop acting up when you turn the car off and back on?

This was a different dealer than before. I guess I can trust any dealer. And my power train and GM major guard are completely worthless!

i wish I could afford to get rid of this car. Never ever again will I buy a ChevyChevy

Campuscop2003,
    I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Cruze. I do understand your concerns as well as frustrations with this. I see that you currently do have a service request open with GM in regards to this. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime; I am happy to help in any way that I can.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.