Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Engine Light Stays On

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  30 Ounce 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon,

Please note im auto ilterate depending how deep you go into it so bare with me.

I drive a 2012 Chevy Cruze (base model)

On Monday Evening i notice my engine light remained on after starting the car. I figured it might have needed a change of oil but it leveled since i get it serviced regularly. I wasnt able to go to Autozone to get the light diagnosed until tonight and the guy there told me it was "P0597"

I didnt know what that meant but he said that code is tied to the the thermostat which concerned me.

I really dont need a car bill right now as im sure its expensive to get fixed :eek:

Would it be advised to go to Chevy? My concern is i work 9-6 and highly unsure if their repair center is open on the weekend (let alone it being something they can fix day of)

#3 ·
2012 should still be under the 3 / 36 warranty.

#5 ·
Hey there,

Very sorry for this, and I would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

#6 ·
Hey again....up until recently the light came on again. (figured it was because i needed oil change) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I was able to get it checked again and recieved the same code above. I called a Chevy dealership near me and told me it would cost $95 for a diagnostic. (ouch)

Would my only option be have a Chevy Dealership look at it?

#7 ·
Would my only option be have a Chevy Dealership look at it?
Depends on if it's covered by any warranty still in effect. If not, any place can fix it. (Just hope they're competent.)

Not sure about the dealer, but most places will apply the diagnostic charge to the repair cost. You only pay that if you elect not to have them fix it.

Most places won't do a quote over the phone, but I've been able to get some information if I ask for a "planning number" as to what I can expect.

#10 ·
"Base Model" => LS???

If so it's most likely the thermostat, which is covered under the 10 yr/100,000 mile power train warranty.

#11 ·
So ive been at local Chevy dealer since this morning and they told me the thermostat code was done since its within warranty but also stated I had another code and needed "fuel injection throttle body cleaning"

W/e that is.....and said it would cost 189 *cries*

#12 ·
Get the thermostat fixed and have them clear the codes. Then see if the throttle body code comes back. Many times one code will cascade to other completely unrelated codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.