TPMS sensor failure(?)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS sensor failure(?)

Driver's Ed

TPMS sensor failure(?)

Ok, here's an odd one for you guys. I recently took a trip of approximately 570 miles during which I encountered an issue with the tire pressure monitoring system. The Service TPMS warning came up on the DIC indicating some sort of failure (flashing TPMS light as well). I checked the appropriate screen to determine if any sensors were malfunctioning and sure enough the right rear sensor was showing the double dash. Didn't really think much of it and assumed a vehicle reset may fix it. Before I could really settle into that idea, though, a second warning popped up and now both rear wheel sensors stopped responding. So, assuming I would see if I could make OnStar earn some of the money I pay them, I contacted OnStar to ask about it. Naturally the nice lady I spoke with couldn't answer my question and the people she said that I should talk to were out of the office on holiday. Joy... Anyway, not long after hanging up with OnStar, the front passenger sensor stops responding. Now I'm down to one sensor. To make a long story short, by the end of the return trip only one sensor was showing offline, which I took as a potential overheating/temperature-related issue. My question to you guys is whether anyone has run into this. Of course I got the usual "could not reproduce" from the dealer when I took it in, but that didn't surprise me, nor do I fault the dealer in this case. GM doesn't play nice with dealerships and warranty claims when there is no evidence of a failure (computer diagnostics=pathetic excuse to refuse warranty claim) None of the sensors showed as failed by the time I took it in. Has anyone heard of these sensors overheating before? Facts to note here: '12 Cruze ECO w/ 6MT, average tire pressure was 43 psi, outside temp was 68F, no electronic modifications in the car, no tunes. Had a minor mishap with GM's answer to a spare tire, but since the "tire slime" is supposed to be compatible with the sensors, I figured this shouldn't have any bearing (a small amount of sealant may have gotten into the tires when I filled them prior to departure-long story...).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Hmm, that is very odd. And you run sufficient pressure in your tires, plus with them being LRR already, you shouldn't have built up much heat in the tire. Might just be a weird glitch. I know there are tools to reprogram sensors (such as a replacement sensor), so maybe the dealer could reprogram all of them for you to match what the computer thinks the sensors should be? Of course there's a chance the sensor itself is defective...

If GM isn't much help (even though they should be for warranty), you could try contacting this company to see if they can help diagnose. I don't know if they make the Cruze sensors, but they do make TPMS and may know what's happening.

Schrader TPMS Sensors for OEM
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

Driver's Ed
    I had the same thing happen just last week. Took it into the dealer and they didn't see anything unusual. Told me ro bring it in when it happens again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Driver's Ed
    So how long before the built-in battery goes flat on the TPMS!

Novaol - Cruze member from Singapore

Maybe I'm missing something here. How do you know the failure was a heat issue?
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

Administrator

Odd. OP is guessing on the heat issue. I wouldn't trust the TPMS in the tire that got the slime, even though GM says their slime is safe for the TPMS.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Odd. OP is guessing on the heat issue. I wouldn't trust the TPMS in the tire that got the slime, even though GM says their slime is safe for the TPMS.
    Have a small hole in back tire now. Was just about to put in slime until I read this. Didn't even think about the TPMS. Crap.
    Back to stock. Bored.

Quote Originally Posted by novaol View Post
    So how long before the built-in battery goes flat on the TPMS!

Novaol - Cruze member from Singapore
    My grandpa has an '04 Mountaineer with first gen TPMS, all original. I keep telling him he needs to replace the original tires due to age, and have advised to have the TPMS replaced too. The tire stores he's talked to tell him they have rebuild kits for when they do. Granted he only has 70k on it, but age will get them. They do all work still though- one went low one time in the last year and it alerted them.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

Does the car still have the stock antenna ? I had to take my Monte in for the RR tpm not responding and GM had a recall on the antenna and control module that picks up the signal from the tpm.

Driver's Ed
    I suspected a heat issue because of the way the three sensors stopped responding at around the same time (give or take 30 minutes given that it was a 9 hour drive). Once the tires cooled down, the sensors seemed to work again. Granted, for short stops they only worked for about 10 minutes before going dark again. As for the tire slime, I can't say exactly which tires, if any, actually got any inside. The slime is supposed to come out of the clear tube that runs along the perimeter of the pump rather than the black tube if I understand the directions correctly. Some of the material came in contact with the black hose, so the perceived impact should be minimal. GM swears the slime is safe for use with their TMPS sensors, but they do make a recommendation that the owner should seek immediate assistance with any damaged tire. Sort of leads me to believe they aren't quite as certain about compatability as they would like you to believe...
    As far as the antenna goes, yes, its original as is basically the whole car, minus the engine shield. I never was one to make a lot of changes to a new car since I seldom keep them more than 3 years.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast