Eliminated my antifreeze smell INSIDE the car
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Eliminated my antifreeze smell INSIDE the car

Driver's Ed

Eliminated my antifreeze smell INSIDE the car

So I was off today and decided to play with the car and figure out, and get rid of the smell. First attempt was to copy the "tsb fix" so I bought some clear 3/8" poly tubing and some weather proof 3M tape. Took off the little tube from the tank, pushed the tubing into the hole and taped it down, then taking an idea from nascar I ran the tube out in the corner of the hood and taped it to my wiper. My thought was if it purged, I might see the steam, hot vapor come out the end. Sorry no pic of it taped to my wiper arm LOL.
    photo (5).jpg

Went for a trip up the interstate, results, smell seemed less but still noticeable, no visible purge from the tubing. Returned home and opened the hood back up, and could smell it, not overly strong but noticeable, and no coolant in the tube. Kind of disappointed, I would of placed good money on the tank purging, and the vapors being sucked into the cabin air intake.

So I decided to at least try and stop breathing it inside my car, so started looking at how this smell from under the hood was making it to my cabin air intake. I noticed 2 opening one where the back hood seal ends, about 3/4" from the fender and the fender, hood gap. So that got a piece cut from some foam pipe insulation....
    photo (3).jpg

Then I taped up the other hole that's under the back hood seal, no before pic, but if you look at your car where I taped you'll see it...
    photo (2).jpg

Result of doing this.... No smell INSIDE my car. Now I know this is not a fix or elimination of the real problem, but there doesn't seem to be one of those currently anyways. Something I did notice, before with the car up to full temp, when the heater fan was on 1 with the heat selector all the way up, I could feel the heat start to get a little warmer, it's at this time that I would get the smell, then as the heat would start to temper down a bit the smell would lessen. Tonight I would feel the heat rise a little, and NO smell. Brought a smile to my face.
    2012 Eco MT gone
    '13 Dodge Dart STX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    Nice, cool you took the initiative and came up with a way to spare youself the smell!
    fastdriver likes this.
    HOW TO: Gain Access to Side-Markers

Current: Smoked Side Marker Lenses, Black Bow Ties, Bluetooth PDIM, Reso Delete, 35/5% Tint, TCollins Big 3 Kit, Dashcam
    Soon: Custom Tablet Magnet Mount, De-Chrome, ?

Administrator

Where is the cabin air supposed to enter the vehicle?

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    It enters right below the driver side whiper. There is a rectangular opening with holes on each side, passenger and driver. That's where the cabin air intake is (red area in the attached photo).

The seal that covers the width of the hood should stop any engine smell from going inside the cabin, but I think mike proved there is more to it that that. What could be the purpose of the intake identified with a green arrow in the attached photo, on the right side? The left side is completly sealed off. The cabin air intake should have been placed right there on the left side.

ag_11cruze_engine.JPG

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    It's pulled in from the grate right below your driver side wiper. So any smells leaking out from the engine bay on the driver side get sucked right in.

photo (6).jpg

EDIT: Ok according to GT my pic is wrong, what does the grate in my pic do/go? Going to go out and turn on the fan and double check...
    Last edited by mikep88; 01-20-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    2012 Eco MT gone
    '13 Dodge Dart STX

mikep88, thank you for sharing this with us!

You know what I would try? I would seal off the cabin air intake, turn the fan to full and try to find out where would it pull in air inside the cabin. I think those openings you covered are the only options. But why would it pull air from there and not from the dedicated cabin air intake? Why have those openings there in the first place?

It is easier to suck in air from a vent where the pressur would be higher. The cabin air intake vent (mask with a red square in the photo above) would have a lower pressure at highway speed (high speed, low pressure) right? So this would cause a sucsion like effect and would cause the intake to pull air from inside the engine compartment? Did I get my physics right?

"Something I did notice, before with the car up to full temp, when the heater fan was on 1 with the heat selector all the way up, I could feel the heat start to get a little warmer, it's at this time that I would get the smell" I had the exact feeling on my 2011.

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gt_cristian View Post
    The cabin air intake should have been placed right there on the left side.
    I think the reason its on the drivers side is the cruze was design for overseas(right hand drive) & brought over here later. That might also explain why the cold/hot & fan speed dials are backwards to every other car I have driven(cold/hot always being closer to the driver).
    izzyizz, jdubb11 and gt_cristian like this.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

Well, that might be it. But if we leave the right/left handside drive, it should have been placed away from the coolant tank.

How do we explain the lack of symmetry, left vs right?

ag_11cruze_engine2.JPG

Driver's Ed
    Ok, gt is correct, but only the red box in his pic above is the intake, the passenger side one is molded to look the same, but it's not an opening. Now for the grate in my pic, this is some sort of exhaust from inside the car, fan on high, car doors closed, air is coming out of it, turn the fan off and it stops, plus you can also hear the blower fan very well from this vent.
    gt_cristian likes this.
    2012 Eco MT gone
    '13 Dodge Dart STX

World Rally Champion
    Looking at the Cruze diesel(right hand drive), the coolant tank is on the same side, the air intake is not. Same with the 1.4T from Australia(second link)

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/attac...-diesel-2l.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...26-625x416.jpg

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast