Loud ticking noise coming from engine!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Loud ticking noise coming from engine!

Driver's Ed

Angry Loud ticking noise coming from engine!

Hey all I just started to notice this loud ticking noise coming from the top middle of my engine bay above engine block. I should have known something might go wrong when i had to go back to the dealer after my oil change becuase my air pressure sensors were showing that one of my tires had 25 PSI and the other 3 were at 34. Yes I checked that they put oil in the car. I always check everything out after I have any one else touch my car besides me. My engine has always been very quiet until now. I am not just being sensitive to the usual workings of the car. Something is causing this noise and I want to know what it is! Please listen to attached audio for more details. I have found a couple of other chevy owners who have posted similar sounds on youtube but there was no comments on their videos! if you have any ideas on wha this is let me know asap! I am bringing the car to the dealer in a couple days and would like to have some of my own ideas as to what the noise is to discuss with them so I dont get the usual bs back.

Thanks! AUDIO HERE!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjMQ1yXaJ7o
    Last edited by waveride333; 01-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

mine is pretty close to that loud as well. i asked the service manager when i was in and while i dont remember his exact explanation it was something along the lines as thats how this motor was designed. i do believe there is a thread or two about this and they've all come up to be normal.

I am pretty sure that's the sound of the Fuel Injectors.. My 1.4L sounds the same. Since the day I bought it brand new. Now have 7700 Miles, and still sounds the same. I run Full Synthetic Castrol Edge. Not Dexos approved, but been using it for years and LOVE IT!!

Resident Tater Salad
    That's a combination of the loud injectors (ticking) and noisy timing chain (knocking).

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    spacedout likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Touring Champion
    when cold the engine will make more noise, if you fully warm the engine/oil it will quite down a bit. I agree with the others, sounds like the fuel injectors firing though.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Driver's Ed
    I have read what I can see to be all of the threads on the internet and these forums. I understand that it may be the fuel injectors, however my engine did not sound like this the first 20,000 miles I put on it. And now after an oil change at the dealer it sounds like this! I dont think so! I am not a mechanic but I know a few things about cars. I have been through a plethora of problems in the past with a variety of cars. I would just like for once for someone to tell me exactly what is making that noise. How hard is it! Sorry for the vent its just highly frustrating!
    steve333 likes this.

Driver's Ed
    The audio doesnt get much clearer than that! there is a loud methodic ticking noise that simply was not there prior to the first 20k put on the car!

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    That's a combination of the loud injectors (ticking) and noisy timing chain (knocking).
    The timing chain on GM ecotec engines has always been loud, even this newer 1.4T version. Think this one is loud you should hear the old 2.2 "eco-tick" when the oil was cold, sounded like a diesel engine.

A timing chain will always make more noise than a belt, but I prefer the noise to having expensive maintenance & possible failure of a belt.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Resident Tater Salad
    Lol, not a complaint, just saying. I much prefer a chain to a belt that may break at any time and destroy my engine. Seen it happen to way too many.

I've got to go rotate my tires. I'll shoot a quick video for you of what mine sounds like.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Resident Tater Salad
    Cold start, idle @ 800 RPM.

obermd and jdubb11 like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast