Thermostat Issues - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thermostat Issues

I have an odd sensitivity to cold temperatures, so getting heat as soon as possible is important to me. That is why i have remote start and heated seats. The slight decrease in fuel economy isn't that much anyway. Because of that I have the temperature control at max and the fan speed at 4 until the cabin warms up enough. I then back off the fan speed.
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jdubb11 View Post
    your write up is exactly as my car does as well. i have done all you mentioned as well except ive never tried turning the heat setting down. i will try that in the am as it will be -0. and for your post about the car being cold after 4 hrs...i can go out to eat and its like starting all over again trying to get it to warm up. i have to bring the car in for a very slow tire leak(thinking its a rimm seal) i will ask about the ecm.
    its a small motor but in the 15 or so cars ive owned ive never had such problems getting to and maintaing op temp and heat in the car. never had to, or should have to, monkey around with this
    My feelings exactly on this one. I can play with the temp knob and fan speeds and get it somewhat warm but it's pretty riddiculous when my girlfriend's 04 cavalier gets up to and maintains temp waaaay better than my brand new cruze in the same temps, and she doesn't have to monkey with the knobs!

Today's drive:

Temperature outside 19F. Remote started the car with the fan speed at 2 and heat at max. Let it run the full ten minutes until it shut off. Got in, started the thing and had a DIC reading of 131F. Cranked both the heat controls to max and drove off. City speeds only, but the engine temp kept steadily rising until it fully warmed up.

Outside temperatures make a big difference for the 1.4T engine. Yesterday I was driving when it was 6F outside and could not warm up the engine fully with the heater controls set to max. I feel for you people that have to deal with cold weather that goes well below freezing. It appears that you have to reduce the heater output by reducing either the fan speed or the heat setting if you want the engine to fully warm up. And I recommend using remote start, perhaps letting it go twice so that you get 20 minutes of warmup time when the weather is well below freezing.
    Last edited by GoldenCruze; 01-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubb11 View Post
    just search this site for thermostat threads, there are lots. i live in mpls. i have had both cruzes ive owned in for this. "car is working as designed" aka nothing we can do to help you. nature of this small motor. DO NOT USE FAN SPEED 4, car will never warm up. **** mine doesnt warm up on speed 3 when its 10 degrees or less. good luck
    I live in St. Paul.

Yes, do not blast the fan. Leave it on 1 until the engine is at least past the first hash. I have no problems getting my engine warm, I also drive on 494 though for the most part and I don't drive like a grandma.
    jblackburn likes this.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by ndsustudent View Post
    My feelings exactly on this one. I can play with the temp knob and fan speeds and get it somewhat warm but it's pretty riddiculous when my girlfriend's 04 cavalier gets up to and maintains temp waaaay better than my brand new cruze in the same temps, and she doesn't have to monkey with the knobs!
    So put cardboard over your grille.

Handbrake Released
    Don't forget it's a tiny ass 1.4L motor with a lot of modern engine efficiencies built in to it. Press the gas pedal, get the turbo doing something and watch as your engine easily gets up to temp.
    jblackburn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    So put cardboard over your grille.
    I don't think you are getting my point. Yes, I can now get my car to warm up by playing with the knobs (fan speed, heat, etc) but I feel that this should not be necessary, especially on a new vehicle. GM says it's operating at specs, but maybe the specs are wrong.
    jdubb11 likes this.

Off-Road Champion
    I don't understand all of this fiddling with the heater controls just to get some warmth in the passenger cabin. I had car with a 1.3L motor in it and it would be putting out heat within a mile or two in the dead of winter. No control twiddling and you didn't have drive on the expressway just to get heat. Of course, it didn't have a computer controlled thermostat.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    jdubb11 likes this.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    13,900 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    22 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    41,468 August '14 YTD

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    I don't understand all of this fiddling with the heater controls just to get some warmth in the passenger cabin. I had car with a 1.3L motor in it and it would be putting out heat within a mile or two in the dead of winter. No control twiddling and you didn't have drive on the expressway just to get heat. Of course, it didn't have a computer controlled thermostat.
    Don't believe all the BS about this car not warming up, unless you max your fan/heat knob before any heat is built or there is a problem with your thermostat, this thing is the fastest warming car I have owned.

Even at -10F I was up to 175-220 within 8-15minutes of driving(combined city/hwy). The only "fiddling" one has to do is not turn the fan speed up until the car has some heat build up starting. I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't want a fan blasting me with cold air when its freezing out, and by doing so it just keeps the car cold for longer.

every small engine car I have driven will experience some cooling while coasting or maxing the fan speed on super cold days before the engine is fully warm. The 2.2ecotec on my 2004 cavalier would hit a wall half way warmed up idling around town if you used fan speed 3 or higher on days below zero.... the exact same thing the cruze does.

Remember GM has to design the cooling system for both extreme ends of the spectrum, 115+ degree desert & -30 winters in Canada. With the heat of the turbo the engine NEEDS a large radiator for the extremely hot days, the trade off is slower warming on very cold days(which most will probably never see). an overheating engine will leave you stranded, a slow warming one will not.

Its to bad all the complainers don't listen & actually try a lower fan speed for 10minutes of driving(or 5minutes of idle+ 5minutes of driving). I have heat within 3 blocks of my house with 5 minute remote start idle(fan speed left at speed 2) even on the coldest days.

Lifetime: 10.6 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 53K miles

I envy all of you guys who can see the engine temperature on the DIC... mine doesn't show it grrr

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast