Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

NHTSA, Power Steering Module

20K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  plasticplant 
#1 · (Edited)
Reactions: Jim Frye
#2 ·
I must be the luckiest mofo of all. I have had 2 cruzes that were absolutely wonderful. Both had the recall done and never drifted across the road even at 80+MPH. No twitches or jerks or anything in the steering or any other part of the car.

This sucks.

Sent from my XT912 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
Unfortunately I'm afraid that does little good for the steering problems. PIC5598G (several revisions) is titled "Guidelines for NJ1 Power Steering Powerpack (Module) Replacement and Parts Restriction Instructions." Published August 7, 2012.

"Condition/Concern:
Condition: A technician may question if he should replace an Electronic Power Steering Gear Assembly or Powerpack (Module) Only. The following Powerpack (module) part numbers 13286690, 13365402, 13394025 and 19117588 are on restriction through the GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center). If there is no High Speed LAN Communication or Data cannot be accessed with GDS2 a New Power Steering Gear Assembly will be needed."

Unfortunately it says nothing about the problem people have been reporting about the steering sticking.

#4 ·
#9 ·
Update, dealer ser. dept said TSB PIC5598D required a GM scanner to determine which par was faulty.

Will.call another dlr to see if story agrees.

#10 ·
That TSB is not going to help you unless you actually have a code stored which you won't.

The following DTCs are the only reason it would be necessary to replace an NJ1 Powerpack (Module).C0475_00 – Electric Power Steering Motor Circuit Fault
We will have to wait to see if they come up with something else for this issue.

#11 ·
"My" sticking steering fixed itself, since having a minor issue, it has totally disappeared, thankfully :)

#19 ·
To my knowledge there is NO current recall for steering issues. There was one for the 2011 Cruze - one of the bolts holding the steering wheel column wasn't tightened down properly and could come off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.