Wheel Hub Bearing and Transmission Leak and I'm on my 2nd Cruze
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wheel Hub Bearing and Transmission Leak and I'm on my 2nd Cruze

Driver's Ed

Wheel Hub Bearing and Transmission Leak and I'm on my 2nd Cruze

I have been having a humming noise coming from the front of the car for the past 2 weeks. I jacked the car up this morning and took the left front tire off to inspect and see if anything obvious was wrong. When I crawled all the way under the vehicle I noticed that the transmission appeared to be leaking right where the case splits. Anyways I took it to the dealer, turns out that the drivers side wheel hub bearing needed replaced. When I brought up the transmission issue they said that they are going to replace the transmission. I'm not due for an oil change for another 500 miles so I told them that I would have this done in a few weeks. The leak is not horrible but with the car only having 14,500 miles on it this should not be happening. As the title of this post states: "Im on my 2nd Cruze" When I picked up my first cruze and drove it home for the first time the engine block cracked with 33 miles on the vehicle. I immediately got a replacement obviously. This is a little worrying to me that the transmission now needs to be replaced. Are there any laws in effect that pertain to this sort of scenario? Buybacks or something??? I should not be having these types of major issues with a vehicle that only has 14,500 miles on it. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion

Not really, sometimes there are just bad parts or mistakes in assembly. It is just bad luck that it keeps happening to you. There thousands of cars out there with few or no issues for every one that has major problems in all car manufacturers and styles. sometimes stuff just breaks, at least they are making good on it. My advice is calm down, let them fix it and move on and stop clinging to the belief a car with low mileage cannot break, especially a run of the mill, mass produced economy car. You want $50,000 car reliability buy a $50,000 car. Even then there are piles of high end cars that have all sorts of issues too. The more complicated cars get the more you will see it, accept it, it is a fact of life.
    Last edited by NBrehm; 07-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    Nick
    USAF
    www.motorcityforums.com
    2011 Cruze Eco
    1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=9723
    In the recent past:
    2002 Trans Am WS6 346CI of unbridled fury! 469RWH/434RWTQ 11.01 @ 123MPH You will be missed!
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT 309WHP/357RWTQ 12.21 @ 113
    2000 Subaru Impreza RS 203WHP/201WTQ 14.2 @ 103

World Rally Champion
    Seems odd the transmission would have to be replaced for a gasket leak. Either way this is exactly why there is a warranty.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.69 average price over 59K miles

Retired Moderator

Wheel bearings can have short lifespans. I replaced fronts 3 times on a previous car before finding one that lasted more than 2000 miles.

The transmission seems odd. If they want to risk GM making them eat the cost of a new transmission, well it's up to them.

Sorry to hear about your issues, though! At least they're getting fixed in a timely fashion.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Time to sit down and think this over rationally.

The Cruze sells at over 200k per year. So 200k cars and two front hubs per car so 400k wheel bearings are produced for them. You will not find anybody anywhere that can make 400k wheel bearings and not have some end up defective. In fact, a defect rate of less than 2% is excellent. But that's still 8k bearings that will go bad prematurely. The same scenario applies for your previous car's engine issue and this cars transmission leak. There is also a TSB released in April about auto tranny leaks at the torque converter housing. An updated torque converter seal is used. I think the dealership should be checking that out further.

In the past 3 months I've seen some things come through our shop that would put things in perspective. A 2012 Civic with 31,000 kms and a bad front wheel bearing. A 2013 Highlander with less than 3,000 kms and total transmission failure. A 2013 Fusion 4 cyl with a head gasket oil leak at it's first oil change interval of 6,000 kms.

GM didn't increase the powertrain warranty a few years ago because they felt they had to. They upped the powertrain warranty because they've made great strides in powertrain quality and therefore would not be losing money by extending the warranty. Everything in the business comes down to money.
    obermd likes this.
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Off-Road Champion

^^ what he said, and like I said, sometimes stuff just breaks.
    Nick
    USAF
    www.motorcityforums.com
    2011 Cruze Eco
    1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=9723
    In the recent past:
    2002 Trans Am WS6 346CI of unbridled fury! 469RWH/434RWTQ 11.01 @ 123MPH You will be missed!
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT 309WHP/357RWTQ 12.21 @ 113
    2000 Subaru Impreza RS 203WHP/201WTQ 14.2 @ 103

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Hi 1902Brooks

My name is Jackie and I am the Chevrolet rep for this forum. I am very sorry that this has been your experience. I would like to help you. Would you like me to start a file to document this issue that you are having with your vehicle. If you would like my help please send me (by private message) your VIN, current mileage, your name and address and the dealer that you are working with. I will do my best to assist you in getting this resolved and ensuring that you are a happy Chevrolet Cruze owner once again.

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care

Driver's Ed
    I dropped off my car to the dealer this past thursday August 1st to get an oil change, tire rotation and the transmission replaced. The first thing the guy asks me is if the transmission was still leaking. First off Im not an idiot, Im an aircraft mechanic for the largest airline in the world and when something leaks you R&R that part. No if's and's or but's about it. I was the one that discovered the transmission leak to begin with. I was shocked by him asking me that question.Then he asks me if I am going to wait. I politely told him no and that I would like a rental car just as they told me a few weeks ago when I was in to get the wheel bearing replaced. It has been 3 days and no one from the dealership has contacted me to give me an update. I would at the very least expect a phone call saying that they are waiting on parts or something..... I called them a week in advance to schedule the appt. I am a very patient person but my patience is running very thin. I am very shocked with the poor customer service that i have been delt. Im on my 2nd Chevy Cruze now and they have both suffered major issues. (checkout my other posts) Needless to say that once i get my car back that it will never be the same. My first new car buying experience has been ruined. I am seriously considering another vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Administrator

Chevy is making so many Cruzen that spare transmissions are apparently taking up to a month to receive and install. There just aren't that many failures and when one has to be replaced it has to come from the same plant that's making the transmissions for the assembly plant. Personally I'm really surprised you had two bad cars back to back. I've been driving GMs since 1985 and never had one bad from the factory. (I'd probably still be driving Pontiacs if Pontiac hadn't been sacrificed to the Bankruptcy Gods.)

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Retired Moderator

What dealer is this, and have you followed up with anybody else besides the dealer?
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.