Oil change according to mileage or computer? - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oil change according to mileage or computer?

Driver's Ed
    How do you feel about changing the oil at 10,000 and the filter @5. Better safe than sorry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Except for the first change, I follow the OLM and will change it between 20-25%.
    2011 Cruze LT 1.4T/6A
    Granite Metallic Black

BITOGaholic and Resident Otaku.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by EXPSD View Post
    I am changing to Mobil one at 3k and then every 6 or 7k.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzeman View Post
    That is exactly what I'm doing.
    Same here.

Driver's Ed
    Well, after reading all these post, it is amazing how often this subject gets covered in all the forums I read, and how few people actualy learn from others when it comes to oil.
    The OLM system is nothing more than a algorhythm(SP) that loosely calculates when your oil might be end of life. I would not trust it for any more than that.
    You do not have to go to the dealer for oil changes or use thier parts for warranty purpose as long as they meet the specs set out by GM
    The ONLY way to tell how often you need to change your oil is by an analyisis(spelling again). period end of story. with any oil it all depends on your driving environment and style.
    And the filter is more than 50% of the equation,
    most oils these days will go 10,000 miles with a good filter, Syenthetics are better in the way they are engineered instead of just refined to a weight, they all get additives to make them better for one thing or another.
    Personaly with close to 1 million miles on my cars going back 30 years I have only had 1` engine failure. that was my fault as a 16 year old figuring out engines will only spin so fast before they come apart.
    I currently use AMSOIL, have used Valvoline most the time previously always with the best filter i could get, currently WIX or AMSOIL. Although I do have 220000 on my Taurus using Motocraft oil from day one. I thought Mobil One was a waste of money vs Valvoline, now they are about the same price for the top of the line versions

Retired Moderator

I'm following the computer and changing at 20%. My driving in the car is mainly highway, and I'm using full synthetic dexos1-spec oil. I also have some Blackstone kits laying around that I'll be sending off every so often to make sure the OLM is accurate. The test will include a TBN test to make sure the oil is up to snuff for the 8-9k miles the OLM is indicating.

Our Fit's OLM is excellent. It trips the light right when analysis indicated we should change the oil.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Personally i come from a family of mechanics, old timers. I have grown up never trusting a computer to be 0 accurate, ever. I only put about 10k miles on a year these days but i have always used the rule 4,000 miles or 4 months that was taught to me. I also use K&N oil Filters and change the filter every other oil change. I don't use synthetic or a blend I just use regular 5w-30 9Normally Advanced Auto Parts Brand) and for one of my cars I used "High Mileage" Pennzoil but that was only once it turned 200,000 miles(I wanted to see if it made a difference). Never had a single engine problem in any car. My dad does it the same way with regular oil, changing the filter every other time(he doesn't use K&N), and 3 Ford Explorers in a row have seen 300k+ on the origional build of the motor. Now i havn't had to do an oil change yet in the cruze but i plan to do it them same way. The only difference is that I will be taking it to the dealership, because my first 10 oil changes are free.
    Last edited by silverls; 12-07-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Handbrake Released
    i change the oil & filter in my '08 astra and '11 cruze, both with the 1.8L engine every 4 months. i use castrol syntech oil and purchase the filters from the dealer. i may change that to every 6 months because we do not travel a lot of miles.
    i am old school also.
    Gerry
    1972 Buick GS
    2008 Saturn Astra XR
    2011 Cruze LS
    1970 Malibu L48 - gone

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    ...at each gas fillup, log both the OLM %-value and the milage, then do a plot to see how the accumulated milage affects the %-life remaining value (that's what I'm doing now).
    Just curious on how your data collection is going and what you have observed so far. I think I will do this the next time I change my oil.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM402 View Post
    Just curious on how your data collection is going and what you have observed so far. I think I will do this the next time I change my oil.
    ...well, it's definitely not a linear straight line decline in milage! The OLM "percentage" number falls fastest during cold/in-city driving, and slowest during warm/highway driving. I've got it plotted (Y = %, X = milages) and it's easy to "see" the difference between city and highway numbers.

...you can get even better information if you can remember to capture the OLM %-number each day (unfortunately, I often forget).
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 12-21-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    • 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    • 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    • 2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

• 1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    • 1970½ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    • 1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    • 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    • 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Standard BS statement. HAHAHA
    I see no BS and actually find the reply from GM quite professional.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast