Coolant Loss Poll
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

View Poll Results: Have you experienced coolant loss in your Cruze?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have experienced coolant loss in my 1.4T Cruze

72 69.90%
  • I have experienced coolant loss in my 1.8 Cruze

4 3.88%
  • I have not experienced any coolant loss

22 21.36%
  • I do not regularly keep track of my coolant level

5 4.85%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Coolant Loss Poll

Coolant Loss Poll

Lately, there have been increasing reports of coolant loss in US Cruzen. I myself have noticed about a 1/4" loss of coolant from the expansion tank each month on my brand new Cruze (Eco 6M, April 2013). I have not noticed any rough spots on the expansion tank lip/flat spots on the o-ring in the cap. I have not verified that the cap is holding at the correct pressures though. I created this poll to get a better idea how many are experiencing the same, steady coolant loss, and what caused it, if known.

When posting, please give relevant information such as:
    -Model year and engine(1.4T or 1.8)
    -Amount of coolant lost (slow and steady over time, or quickly in a few days)
    -What resolved your coolant loss issue, if any
    2013 Cruze Eco 6M

2004 Grand Prix GT2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

I have two Cruzen. My ECO MT has a slow coolant vapor loss at the cap. My LS MT has had zero coolant loss to date. I'm treating my ECO's coolant loss like the old Jeep oil seep - factory design.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Resident Tater Salad

1.4T, slow coolant loss every few months.

Haven't done a thing to fix it - there's usually not much in the way of a smell, and I just don't care to bother with the dealer until the water pump inevitably craps out.
    ErikBEggs and Merc6 like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Contest Manager
    2011 Eco
    Slow coolant loss
    No smell

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Off-Road Champion

In the 2 years I have had my 2011 ECO - I would say maybe I have added a half inch of coolant to the reservoir. I do not have a problem with coolant smell in or outside the car. I know in the first couple of years I had my 2004 GTO I have added a small amount of coolant.
    2014 Jet Black / Black M Sport 6M BMW 320i
    2012 Urban Titanium Metallic/black interior Honda CR-V LX AWD 5A-wife's
    2011 Black Granite Metallic/medium titanum interior Cruze ECO 6M - sold
    2004 Pulse Red/black leather interior GTO 6M
    1988 Black/Recaro interior Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 5M-garage queen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
    Lately, there have been increasing reports of coolant loss in US Cruzen. I myself have noticed about a 1/4" loss of coolant from the expansion tank each month on my brand new Cruze (Eco 6M, April 2013). I have not noticed any rough spots on the expansion tank lip/flat spots on the o-ring in the cap. I have not verified that the cap is holding at the correct pressures though. I created this poll to get a better idea how many are experiencing the same, steady coolant loss, and what caused it, if known.

When posting, please give relevant information such as:
    -Model year and engine(1.4T or 1.8)
    -Amount of coolant lost (slow and steady over time, or quickly in a few days)
    -What resolved your coolant loss issue, if any
    1.4T 6MT RS 2012 had coolant loss about a line drop every 5k km same deal as you but could smell faint coolant from outside car after a trip, got a pressure test and all that everything was fine, got a dye test done after 5k km took it in a line worth drop again, they checked turned out to be a very small leak in the water pump, seem to only leak when going from cold to hot and then burn up so no visible leak and pulleys in the way to see the white mark of burnt coolant, but had to go back after about 8k km cuz new water pump was making a weird noise, replaced that and seem to be good so far with no coolant loss after 10k km and no more smell!!!! Just my advise it take the dealer 10 min to put dye in your coolant drive it a good amount and then when you have free time take it back even if your not really bothered... Well worth a free fix and saves you money on coolant.... A NEW CAR SHOULD NOT BE LOSING COOLANT... Well no car should but def not a new car I have 40k km on my car now

Driver's Ed
    My 2011 1.4 has 46,000 miles and just started losing coolant on 7/31/13. It is down about 1" today and I notice a pool of coolant below the passenger side of engine about 1 foot in diameter (+ or -) every morning since 7/31/13. I have an appointment with Cole and Burd in Mansfield this Friday and this better get fixed.
    2011 Crystal Red Tintcoat LTZ/RS 6A
    - Resonator delete
    - .030 Plug gap
    2006 Trailblazer EXT LT

All great info so far! Has anyone had their coolant loss problem solved by replacing the expansion tank cap? My guess is that is where my loss is coming from.
    2013 Cruze Eco 6M

2004 Grand Prix GT2

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
    All great info so far! Has anyone had their coolant loss problem solved by replacing the expansion tank cap? My guess is that is where my loss is coming from.
    If you have coolant smells under the hood with no visible leaks I would guess its the cap. However my loss I think is just the tank venting normally since with the PI fix(extended vent tube) I now get no smell.

when the dealer added the vent tube they filled the tank to the top line, strong antifreeze smells for the first 3,000miles afterward and the most of the loss occurring then. Now that I am down about half way on the tank the loss and smell seem gone. 10,000miles I lost 3 inches.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by spacedout View Post
    If you have coolant smells under the hood with no visable leaks I would guess its the cap. However my loss I think is just the tank venting normally since with the PI fix(extended vent tube) I now get no smell.

when the dealer added the vent tube they filled the tank to the top line, strong antifreeze smells for the first 3,000miles afterward and the most of the loss occurring then. Now that I am down about half way on the tank the loss and smell seem gone. 10,000miles I lost 3 inches.
    Similar experience here. My smells started when I filled the tank to the "proper" level. And coolant loss was rapid.

I dropped the tank back down to the bottom of the arrow and loss has been minimal (needed a top-up of a few ounces once since December), and no smell.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast