Whistling noise while on the highway

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whistling noise while on the highway

Whistling noise while on the highway

First of all, I cannot seem to capture this on video in my car, go figure every time I have my camera with me it does not do it. But I did find a video online of the same noise in another model of car.

Basically, I hear the noise in the video when travelling at highway speeds, only between 65mph and 75mph, it actually stops if I go faster. Also if I turn the wipers on, the noise changes in rhythm with the wipers.

I have already used the forum search, and google as well, no joy.

Additional information: 2011 Cruze ECO, manual transmission, only 700 miles.

Any ideas?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZpLbL4R0c&feature=player_detailpage]VIDEO OF THE NOISE HERE![/ame]
    Last edited by keveburd; 07-20-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    2011 Cruze Eco MT
    Born on May 11, 2011
    Bought on July 11, 2011
    way to many 11's

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    does not sound like wind noise. take the dealer service rep for a drive.
    Gerry
    1972 Buick GS
    2008 Saturn Astra XR
    2011 Cruze LS
    1970 Malibu L48 - gone

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 72buickgs View Post
    does not sound like wind noise. take the dealer service rep for a drive.
    The only things I am worried about:
    1. if it is not doing it this afternoon (I already had an appointment)
    2. and that there is no way to replicate the problem in the shop since it only happens at 65-75mph. They are doing to have to "try" something, drive it, "try" something else, drive it, etc. etc.
    2011 Cruze Eco MT
    Born on May 11, 2011
    Bought on July 11, 2011
    way to many 11's

It could very well be wind noise around the front glass. The windshield is taped/glued into position and with sufficient pressure air could be actually causing the seal to vibrate and 'whistle'.

Just an idea--try using a pressure washer around the edges of the windshield and look for water inside the cabin.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

As best as I can tell the noise is coming from the top of the windshield from behind the mirror. This is ridiculous, it is like a dental drill in my ear. . . seriously the sound is actually painful to me.

Here is a link to a video of the noise in MY car:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16824212/DSCN0354.MOV

I am starting to feel really uneasy of the service department at my local dealership. They were talking this morning about using tape. I am having second thoughts about giving them my keys this afternoon. . .
    2011 Cruze Eco MT
    Born on May 11, 2011
    Bought on July 11, 2011
    way to many 11's

Seems to be resolved

Dealership resealed the top of the windshield and it seems to be fixed now.

They said that they called GM, it is a known issue, just not enough reports to warrant a recall yet.
    2011 Cruze Eco MT
    Born on May 11, 2011
    Bought on July 11, 2011
    way to many 11's

Problem solved! Time for a drink Gatorade anyone?
    titan2782 likes this.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

mine made the same noise. I put painters tape on the top seal of the windshield and it stopped doing it. the dealer resealed the windshield and it pretty much stopped. it has done it once or twice on a very windy day and when I was taking a cloverleaf off ramp on a hill. so they fixed it enough to where I was satisfied. mine was more of a flute noise and wasn't annoying but it was there. had no leaks either on the windshield when this happened either.

I read some other forums where some gmc trucks had the same problem and resealing the windshield did the trick.

Driver's Ed
    My Cruze is doing kinda the same thing. I hear this low pitch squeal. Seems to be when I going about 60 - 65 or faster and only on hot days.

I had it at the dealer twice for this problem, and they "cannot reporduce customer's complaint". They look at me like I am crazy! I even videoed it on my cell phone, showed it to the mechanic and service writer. I was told that they would have to see it or hear for themselves!

Thanks for this info! I never thought about the windshield seal. Although I do not have any water leaking inside, I am heading back to the dealer with this page printed out!

Thanks!
    2011 Cruze LTZ - Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat

Retired Moderator
    i wonder if this is what im hearing?? I started this thread a few weeks back.

bearing noise?? tire noise??

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.