Wipers Freeze to Windshield-design flaw - Page 2

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Wipers Freeze to Windshield-design flaw

The reason wipers are tucked in low in the cowl is to keep them out of the airstream for the vast majority of the time the car is in use. Those things are pretty turbulent when they are in action.
    I drove my Cruze all winter and did not have this re-freeze issue at all. However, if I had I would probably have left the wipers on the lowest int setting to keep them moving after I had to free them a second time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by TSURacing View Post
    The reason wipers are tucked in low in the cowl is to keep them out of the airstream for the vast majority of the time the car is in use. Those things are pretty turbulent when they are in action.
    I drove my Cruze all winter and did not have this re-freeze issue at all. However, if I had I would probably have left the wipers on the lowest int setting to keep them moving after I had to free them a second time.
    That was the solution that the dealership gave to us, however, they should have really thought it through since the defroster is up higher on the windshield. I did some research and Subaru fixed it by having a windshield with a defroster at the bottom like some back window have. They need to do something...I see you are in Detroit, do you work for an auto manufacturer?

Driver's Ed
    I live on the west coast...could understand it better if we lived in Alaska or something

Looks like we'll need heated wiper blades....

Driver's Ed
    I have a 2012 Impala that does the same thing. I use -49 C rated wiper fluid. I have winter wiper blades.

The last blizzard I drove in, when the wipers froze to the windshield, I took photos once I pulled into my heated attached garage. Look familiar?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Formula One Champion
    I had never seen this topic before, thanks for the great laugh. Every single car I have owned the wipers will freeze to the windshield, before you drive you always make sure they are moving freely.

Using a good cold weather washer fluid will keep them from refreezing while driving.
    obermd and ericpj like this.

Lifetime: 10.4 cents per mile @ $3.68 average price over 60K miles

Add heated wipers and problem solved. A lot of cheaper cars out there have heated wipers, Kia Forte is one that comes to mind. I admit it does suck when the wipers freeze and it is -10F outside. Canadian winters yey!

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Oh did want me to write that I have to clean all off the existing snow and Ice from the wiper duct before I drive to work at 430 in the morning and make sure that I put the type or windshield washer that stays in the wind screen washer holder that does not freeze like an ice cycle to this wind screen on me when all I would like to do is see in front of me so I do not T bone you HOO in front of Me . I clean that area every time out the door earlier . They are still manufactured in china , the wiper blades that freeze that is
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Rocket Science .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by brian v View Post
    Oh did want me to write that I have to clean all off the existing snow and Ice from the wiper duct before I drive to work at 430 in the morning and make sure that I put the type or windshield washer that stays in the wind screen washer holder that does not freeze like an ice cycle to this wind screen on me when all I would like to do is see in front of me so I do not T bone you HOO in front of Me . I clean that area every time out the door earlier . They are still manufactured in china , the wiper blades that freeze that is
    <moderator>
    Drop the sarcasm. I sent the info via PM as a courtesy to avoid a public row - you made it public. Thus this is also public.
    </moderator>

The fact that our wiper blades are made in China has absolutely no bearing on why some people are having their wiper blades freeze to the windshield. The fact that there is no heat on the location our wipers sit when not in use is a major factor in their freezing to the windshield. My Montana had two locations - off, which was down like the Cruze's blades, and between wipes which sat directly over the defroster vents to keep them warm. I wonder if the thought was that the lower location would get warmth from the engine.

Wiper blades have nothing to do with clearing your car off before driving. They do, however, have a lot to do with keeping the windshield clear which is why freezing blades can be a major issue. However, every car I have ever owned, including the Montana, had a problem with ice buildup on the blades.
    30 Ounce likes this.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Handbrake Released
    If it is possible that it might freeze outside why not just flip the wipers up so they are not contacting the windshield? It may lead people to ask what the deal is but then you won't have your wipers glued to the windshield. Usually any time you have moisture and freezing temps the wipers stand a chance of getting frozen to the windshield or encased in ice. I don't think it's anything specific to the cruze. I've had it happen a couple times to every vehicle I have ever owned.
    Starks8 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.