Wipers Freeze to Windshield-design flaw - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Wipers Freeze to Windshield-design flaw

This is something we have to deal with all the time in Colorado. All of my cars have this problem. The Cruze is no different than my Chrysler minivan or GMC work van.
    obermd likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Mine never glide evenly as soon as it gets cold. Huge patches of fluid are missed. After it happened once I got out and used my window scraper to scrape off any ice thinking that may help but to no avail. I think they actually become slightly deformed or something.

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by YKNWT View Post
    Mine never glide evenly as soon as it gets cold. Huge patches of fluid are missed. After it happened once I got out and used my window scraper to scrape off any ice thinking that may help but to no avail. I think they actually become slightly deformed or something.
    The stock blades are prone to ice/snow build up in there movement/spring mechanism, which causes them to not conform properly to the glass. This is why I swapped the stock blades to Beam type, I used Bosch Icon blades though there are many different brands available.
    Blue Angel and brian v like this.

Lifetime: 10.7 cents per mile @ $3.74 average price over 49K miles

every late fall is a good time to replace them. 5-6 bucks a piece is well worth it. havent had this issue once this winter
    brian v likes this.

live in upstate new york,

have not had this problem at all, driven in blizzards and hail. I have coated my windshield with rainx, helps get ice off the windshield a bit... also it seems to help when you clean all the ice and snow off the wiper area, prevents a pocket of ice developing
    brian v likes this.

Retired Moderator

I have not had this problem either. Cleaning off the windshield and using good fluid helps. So does clapping the snow off the wipers before driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    brian v likes this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Resident Forum Drunkard
    That is exactly what I wrote in my first post , just used a different tone to express my disbelief of the idea that there is a design flaw with the location of the wiper blades .
    it is a little preperation by the user to get a desired result.
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Rocket Science .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Driver's Ed
    I have a heated attached garage. This only happens to me when I am driving in snow.

One workaround is to run the windshield washer every 5 minutes or so. Since I use fluid that is good to -49 C, that helps keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield, but it would be pretty easy to run through a jug of fluid in one storm.

If I am parked outside, of course I clear the snow and ice off first. Some have thought this was a problem after parking, its a problem while driving
    obermd likes this.

Learning about my Cruze
    I wouldn't say it's really a problem. I've had it happen several times on other cars and it's always been from not properly cleaning the snow from the windshield. And as Brrrr mentioned, cycling the washer fluid periodically keeps it from happening when I am lazy and don't do it right.
    Last edited by chrisholland03; 02-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.

my wifes 09 malabu and my 07 tahoe both have those "profile" blades if we really want to talk about crappy blades. plus the are double or triple the price!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast