Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Issue with variable effort steering?

70K views 212 replies 73 participants last post by  Blue Angel 
#1 ·
Thought I'd put this one out there and see if anyone else is having similar issues. Noticed the other day that the steering wheel on my 2011 Cruze LT with automatic transmission is starting to "stick" in place at highway speeds (>60 mph). I notice it most when making tiny steering corrections on the highway on long straight stretches of road. It's almost like there's a "notch" in the steering and the wheel gets seated in the notch when going straight. It takes a little effort to move the wheel out of the "notch" and I can feel a physical "pop" or release when making small steering adjustments to keep the car going straight. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't recreate the problem in the shop and said a visual inspection of the car turned up nothing. They attributed the issue to "normal characteristics of variable effort steering" but I'm pretty certain this isn't normal. Anyone else having this issue or heard of something similar. My next step is to try and persuade a tech from the dealership to come for a ride along so they can see the issue, but not sure how easy it will be to convince them.

Sorry if this problem/question is explained or answered elsewhere on the forum; I didn't have time to scan posts this morning from work. If it is answered somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
welcome to mysterious steering problem. I had the problem the other week and lasted about 5 days. Since then it has returned to normal so I know I am wasting my time bringing it to the dealer. GM should be taking this serious as it is a major safety hazard. I think a lot more people will start having this issue as they put some miles on their cars. how many miles do you have?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/4413-steering-issue.html

#3 ·
I've got just over 10,000 miles on it. Didn't notice the issue until about 10 days ago, but it definitely hasn't gone away yet. I don't seem to notice it if I'm only going a short distance on the highway, but on days my commute is > 45 miles (2-3 days per wk) I definitely feel it. Hope they figure this one out soon. I agree it feels like a pretty major safety hazard.

#5 ·
Honestly, I would trade it in tomorrow if I didn't have to dish out at least 6 grand for another car. I do like the car but I don't think its capable of being the work horse I need it to be. I put 25 k a year on my car. Maybe after I get the glitches worked out it will prove me wrong. Time
will tell!

sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App

#12 · (Edited)
The TSB for the thrust washer is for the steering wheel adjustment lever sticking. It's from July 2011 - P10462. The problem here isn't the adjustment lever sticking, it's the whole steering wheel sticking. Not sure changing the thrust washer will fix this, but Cruzeman has his in the shop to have the thrust washer replaced so we'll have to see if that does the trick.

#13 ·
I should be picking the car up today, I gave them a list of issues to address. Dealer just waiting for the little hose that I believe attaches to thermostat. The rubber cover that goes over that hose fell off.
Probably won't know for awhile if steering is fixed because the problem would come and go. On a side note they gave me a forrester rental. The powertrain seems nice but the interior feels very cheap compared to the Cruze.
sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App

#16 ·
k...so what does the prob feel like?...mine seems to never have the probs others do...my steering is always straight and fine..no changes or anything..and i feel whats happinging with the car and road the whole time...other than the weird sound that the a/c compressor does,,that will be replaced some time...and me thinking that the right front susppention makes more of a "bump" noise than the right....my car is doing pretty good..it seems to be getting better with each mile i put on it...and im in no way easy with it...esp after playing forza for a while..lol.

#17 · (Edited)
Well the steering problem came back today and I'm sick of smelling antifreeze when the heater is on and when i park in garage. My POS is going back to the shop and I refuse to take it back until they replace rack and actually fix the antifreeze leak. I will not take could not duplicate anymore!:angry::angry:

O and my rear suspension creaks like an old rocking chair.

#62 ·
That's so funny, my Cobalt has been doing that for years! Car sounds like it's 20 years old

I had the rack on mine replaced ~2 weeks ago and haven't noticed the problem since then either. The service rep at the dealership told me their tech called GM Tech Support and was told they're aware of the issue and believe that replacing the rack is the solution. So, it sounds like the folks at GM are aware of the problem and the knowledge of a solution is starting to trickle down to the dealerships.
We had the rack replaced by dealer and everything was fine but it is starting to do it again. Faulty design? We have 30000 miles on a 2011 cruze eco
This is typical GM. They replace faulty parts with the same exact faulty part! What the **** do they think will happen? Of course it will go bad again. Cobalt-bad bushings, intermediate shafts, steering column, etc etc. All replaced, all going bad again. GM never redesigned the parts the entire Cobalt 5 year run.
Looks like GM hasn't changed a bit. How amazingly sad.
By the way, if any of you ever dare to go to a independent mechanic even once GM will not help you no matter what Stacy or any other social media chick tells you.
I've got one of those defective steering racks in my Balt, most likely has been defective for years and while under warranty but nothing was ever done. Now out of warranty and struts installed by an independent shop (oem struts by the way) and GM said sorry-not helping you.
For any major work go to the dealer. It will save you a lot of grief later on.

#19 ·
Having same issue with my 2011 Chevy Cruze steering. Kept telling my husband feels like it's sticking. He finally drove it last night and said it was very annoying and not right. Finally...now going to take it to dealer and they better not tell me they can't find anything! Little scary reading all these posts here. Otherwise, love the cruze. Have less than 7000 miles on it and will have it a year in March. Noticed no one else has posted since dec of last year. Wondering if I will get any replies on this. Hopefully, doing this right...if not apology as new to forum. Thanks.

#23 ·
seshultz62,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your steering. I would like you to keep me updated on the outcome of your visit to the dealership. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#24 ·
I had the rack on mine replaced ~2 weeks ago and haven't noticed the problem since then either. The service rep at the dealership told me their tech called GM Tech Support and was told they're aware of the issue and believe that replacing the rack is the solution. So, it sounds like the folks at GM are aware of the problem and the knowledge of a solution is starting to trickle down to the dealerships.

#25 ·
I am on a road trip to New Orleans from Cleveland and the steering feels like there is no neutral when going straight. You are constantly trying to keep it going straight. The car has 1500 miles on it right now. Is this similar to anyones elses symptoms?

#28 ·
same problem here. its at the dealership now again to try and fix the problem. i would say this is pretty dangerous considering it could potentially cause some oversteer in slippery conditions. i got the same response as an earlier poster did on my first time in the service center. they said they called gm and were told there was no report on it as of yet. well it bothered me so much that i brought it back again. im hoping for results this time.

#31 ·
I read about it a bit and it says that the variable effort steering can be adjusted, there are 3 settings that it can be set to. It increases the drivers effort that they put into steering as the speed increases, this is why it is only when you go over 50 mph that it happens. See if the dealer can adjust the settings to one of the 3 settings.

#32 ·
actually mine would do it anytime the steering wheel was held in the same position for a few seconds, regardless of the speed. it felt like it would be in a notch or like you were driving in a road that was badly grooved. the steering wheel just felt stuck and took considerably more effort to "break out" of the groove. BUT....i just picked it up from the dealership and they have fixed it. I was told that the service tech got in and drove it (at my request) and felt what i was talking about right away. they replaced the steering gear and realligned the wheels and said they reset or set all sorts of sensors and anyways it drives wonderful now. Very impressed with Bale Chevrolet for handling it well and treating me well. I was given a rental car (free of charge) for the 1.5 days that they spent on my vehicle and was treated as a great customer and to me that is how you make customers for the long term. treat them well when they buy and continue the good service afterwards. i am also very impressed with the chevy csr on this site, Stacy, and the responses that i am seeing to people. very nice work, keep it up. and btw the squeak that i was getting in the inside from my steering wheel is now gone as well. someone had posted about this in another thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.