Coolant level/loss?
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coolant level/loss?

  1. #1
    Handbrake Released jaygeo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    southeast Michigan
    Posts
    235

    Coolant level/loss?

    Been away from the forum for a few months....we've got 22,000 on the Cuze and we're enjoying it very much. Just oil/filter changes, tire rotations/balance and gas. Our mpg varies between 32 and 35 with our driving style. While checking things under the hood I noticed the coolant level is about 1/2" above the hose port. I can't remember where the level was at delivery. The markings on the coolant tank sure could be clearer to see. I don't notice any leakage or smell...thermostat seems to be functioning fine....no problems. Guess I'll just get a jug of DexCool and set the level and keep an eye on it. It seems like I remember months ago a forum post concerned with coolant loss at the heater core...can't find in the search box.

    Is anyone having an issue with very slow coolant loss? Well, I'll take this opportunity to wish the forum members a very happy holidays
    jaygeo1 - Keep Cruze'in

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,693
    I am having this issue as well. Dealer said all is well but I had to add coolant once and after driving I smell antifreeze if I pop hood

    sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App

  4. #3
    Off-Road Champion
    Jim Frye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzeman View Post
    I am having this issue as well. Dealer said all is well but I had to add coolant once and after driving I smell antifreeze if I pop hood

    sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App
    I'd say its time to grab a drop light and start looking around the engine room. If you continuously smell collant, its bleeding out somewhere, even if there is nothing on the garage floor.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    15,000 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    23 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

    I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

    I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    45,316 September '14 YTD

  5. #4
    5th Gear silverls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    905
    @Jaygeo- If your not smelling coolant then simply take a Marker and make a small dot where the current level is. check it every week for the next month and see if you see a change. It could also be as simple as maybe when you remember seeing it before it was cold and this time around it was hot.
    raffmanlt likes this.

  6. #5
    Handbrake Released jaygeo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    southeast Michigan
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by silverls View Post
    @Jaygeo- If your not smelling coolant then simply take a Marker and make a small dot where the current level is. check it every week for the next month and see if you see a change. It could also be as simple as maybe when you remember seeing it before it was cold and this time around it was hot.
    Good suggestion..I picked up some Dexcool and added 1 1/2 cups of coolant to the tank which brought the level to the top visible fin/arrow. This is probably the engine hot level...but I can keep an eye on the level now.
    jaygeo1 - Keep Cruze'in

  7. #6
    5th Gear silverls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    905
    The higher level should be the cold level, but either way a little too much coolant isnt a bad thing.

  8. #7
    Handbrake Released The Butcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    174
    I've got a 1.8 ls so I'm not sure if this applies to any of you but my car has been into the dealer twice in the last two weeks for a coolant leak around the intake manifold. Initially the dealer thought that the o-ring around the metal tube going into the intake was bad so they replaced it and a week later it was leaking again so they replaced the o-ring a second time as well as the aluminium housing the tube goes into (not sure how everything actually goes together, this is just what they told me)... Not sure if this is an isolated incident or a defect in the 1.8's but I thought it was worth noting.

  9. #8
    5th Gear silverls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    905
    i have a 1.8 but it only has 768 miles on it. so i havn't had any problems. lol

  10. #9
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2

    coolant loss

    I have the 2011 1.4 LT turbo. I took my car into the dealer because i noticed that i can smell coolant everytime the car got to operating temperature. I smelled it inside the cabin and on the outside. I did a quick check myself I didn't see anything leaking but I did notice the reservoir was low. The dealer got back to me and said the water pump is leaking, they put me in a rental and said they had to order the part. Next day the part comes in it apparently didn't come with the gasket. So hopefully tomorrow i will be a happy camper with my car again, in the mean time the rental company didn't have any GM vehicles so I'm stuck driving a Dodge Journey.

  11. #10
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalley View Post
    I have the 2011 1.4 LT turbo. I took my car into the dealer because i noticed that i can smell coolant everytime the car got to operating temperature. I smelled it inside the cabin and on the outside. I did a quick check myself I didn't see anything leaking but I did notice the reservoir was low. The dealer got back to me and said the water pump is leaking, they put me in a rental and said they had to order the part. Next day the part comes in it apparently didn't come with the gasket. So hopefully tomorrow i will be a happy camper with my car again, in the mean time the rental company didn't have any GM vehicles so I'm stuck driving a Dodge Journey.

    Interesting, just got my car back today and they tell me nothing wrong with cooling system even though I smell antifreeze. I wonder if my water pump is leaking?

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Temp loss of A/C
    By Chris.P in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2014, 09:24 PM
  2. Digital coolant temp reading, seems high
    By Ian_12 in forum 1.4L Turbo
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM
  3. adding coolant
    By cruzeman in forum Service Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
  4. stick power loss comparded to auto power loss
    By turbo6sp in forum Powertrain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
  5. engine coolant for turbo opinions
    By slyedog in forum Powertrain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2