Coolant level/loss?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coolant level/loss?

Coolant level/loss?

Been away from the forum for a few months....we've got 22,000 on the Cuze and we're enjoying it very much. Just oil/filter changes, tire rotations/balance and gas. Our mpg varies between 32 and 35 with our driving style. While checking things under the hood I noticed the coolant level is about 1/2" above the hose port. I can't remember where the level was at delivery. The markings on the coolant tank sure could be clearer to see. I don't notice any leakage or smell...thermostat seems to be functioning fine....no problems. Guess I'll just get a jug of DexCool and set the level and keep an eye on it. It seems like I remember months ago a forum post concerned with coolant loss at the heater core...can't find in the search box.

Is anyone having an issue with very slow coolant loss? Well, I'll take this opportunity to wish the forum members a very happy holidays
    jaygeo1 - Keep Cruze'in

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator
    I am having this issue as well. Dealer said all is well but I had to add coolant once and after driving I smell antifreeze if I pop hood

sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzeman View Post
    I am having this issue as well. Dealer said all is well but I had to add coolant once and after driving I smell antifreeze if I pop hood

sent from my Thunderbolt using AutoGuide App
    I'd say its time to grab a drop light and start looking around the engine room. If you continuously smell collant, its bleeding out somewhere, even if there is nothing on the garage floor.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    15,000 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    23 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    45,316 September '14 YTD

@Jaygeo- If your not smelling coolant then simply take a Marker and make a small dot where the current level is. check it every week for the next month and see if you see a change. It could also be as simple as maybe when you remember seeing it before it was cold and this time around it was hot.
    raffmanlt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by silverls View Post
    @Jaygeo- If your not smelling coolant then simply take a Marker and make a small dot where the current level is. check it every week for the next month and see if you see a change. It could also be as simple as maybe when you remember seeing it before it was cold and this time around it was hot.
    Good suggestion..I picked up some Dexcool and added 1 1/2 cups of coolant to the tank which brought the level to the top visible fin/arrow. This is probably the engine hot level...but I can keep an eye on the level now.
    jaygeo1 - Keep Cruze'in

The higher level should be the cold level, but either way a little too much coolant isnt a bad thing.

I've got a 1.8 ls so I'm not sure if this applies to any of you but my car has been into the dealer twice in the last two weeks for a coolant leak around the intake manifold. Initially the dealer thought that the o-ring around the metal tube going into the intake was bad so they replaced it and a week later it was leaking again so they replaced the o-ring a second time as well as the aluminium housing the tube goes into (not sure how everything actually goes together, this is just what they told me)... Not sure if this is an isolated incident or a defect in the 1.8's but I thought it was worth noting.

i have a 1.8 but it only has 768 miles on it. so i havn't had any problems. lol

Driver's Ed

coolant loss

I have the 2011 1.4 LT turbo. I took my car into the dealer because i noticed that i can smell coolant everytime the car got to operating temperature. I smelled it inside the cabin and on the outside. I did a quick check myself I didn't see anything leaking but I did notice the reservoir was low. The dealer got back to me and said the water pump is leaking, they put me in a rental and said they had to order the part. Next day the part comes in it apparently didn't come with the gasket. So hopefully tomorrow i will be a happy camper with my car again, in the mean time the rental company didn't have any GM vehicles so I'm stuck driving a Dodge Journey.

Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalley View Post
    I have the 2011 1.4 LT turbo. I took my car into the dealer because i noticed that i can smell coolant everytime the car got to operating temperature. I smelled it inside the cabin and on the outside. I did a quick check myself I didn't see anything leaking but I did notice the reservoir was low. The dealer got back to me and said the water pump is leaking, they put me in a rental and said they had to order the part. Next day the part comes in it apparently didn't come with the gasket. So hopefully tomorrow i will be a happy camper with my car again, in the mean time the rental company didn't have any GM vehicles so I'm stuck driving a Dodge Journey.

Interesting, just got my car back today and they tell me nothing wrong with cooling system even though I smell antifreeze. I wonder if my water pump is leaking?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast