New TSB: PI0645 - front suspension popping noise
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New TSB: PI0645 - front suspension popping noise

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.

New TSB: PI0645 - front suspension popping noise

I discovered my car had a suspension noise today. If you sit in the car and rock the car left and right with the doors closed, you can hear a slight knock or pop. Took it in to the dealer and they lifted the car and found the problem, but couldn't fix it.

Official TSB PI0645: Knock or pop noise heard when coming to a stop or at low speeds over small bumps - Jan 10, 2012.

Models:
    2012 Buick Verano built prior to VIN breakpoint C4141115
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze built prior to VIN breakpoint C7239134

Condition/Concern:
    Some customers may comment on a knock noise or pop noise heard from the front strut assembly when coming to a stop or low speeds over small bumps in the road.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Engineering is aware of the concern and is working on a new part that will correct the noise concern. Please DO NOT replace struts for this concern as a new strut will be available shortly.

My dealer did not have an ETA as to when this strut would be available and suggested that I call back in a month to check for availability and to schedule an appointment. In the meantime, I'm stuck driving a broken car until GM gets a part ready. 22 days have passed since the release of the TSB and their "available shortly" strut is not yet available.
    kevhed likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    have not heard anything out of mine i will have to sit in the car like oyu said see if i hear anything... i will compare my VIN to the cutoff numbers you gave also... good looking out! im calling the dealer if i hear a peep outa this thing

Retired Moderator

Fantastic! Thanks for posting! I'm going to let my dealer know about this next time I'm in for service. My VIN is in the affected range, and I let them know my car's popping on the last visit. Of course, they could not duplicate it.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Off-Road Champion
    Gee, I had to wait several months for Chevy to come up with a fix for a broken motor mount in my '69 Camaro. It turned out the ones they had would not handle the torque of the V8s and they were ripping the mounts apart where they were bonded to the rubber vibration blocks. It was completely safe, you just had to remember not to jump on the gas in a left turn. If you did, the motor would roll over on the right mount and jam the throttle full on. No biggie. After several months wait, the recall came in and it was fixed by passing a cable through the left side exhaust manifold and the frame to hold the engine in place. So be careful what you wish for in too big a hurry.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    15,900 Mi., Avg. MPG: 33 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    24 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    45,151 October '14 YTD

This isnt a TSB, thats why theres no current way to fix it, its preliminary information to let techs know that GM is aware of a problem and working on a solution. Could be months honestly.
    Custom built headlight retrofits, wiring harnesses and lighting supplies & parts.

Duke of Oil

Quote Originally Posted by maven View Post
    This isnt a TSB, thats why theres no current way to fix it, its preliminary information to let techs know that GM is aware of a problem and working on a solution. Could be months honestly.
    Thanks for clarifying that. At least we know they know its an issue.

Turns out, this is the reason why GM halted production of the Cruze for a week back in December.

Driver's Ed
    My car has been making this noise since day 2 (picked up 12/10/11). Its only slightly annoying and if you have the radio on, you don't even notice it. I notified my dealer about it and told him he could check it out when I brought the car in for the first oil change. I am glad to see this and to see GM is aware of the issue. I was afraid this would be one of those issues that couldn't be pinpointed because like I said, its pretty minor. Thanks for the heads up!!

2nd Gear
    Seems my car is affected too (C7102899), however, I haven't heard any noise from the front strut only something in the rear shock. To clarify it is probably stuff in my trunk bouncing.

4th Gear
    This seems like it might be related to the situation where they shut down the factory for a few weeks at the end of last year. I remember the shut down had something to do with defective, noisy struts.

Duke of Oil

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed View Post
    My car has been making this noise since day 2 (picked up 12/10/11). Its only slightly annoying and if you have the radio on, you don't even notice it. I notified my dealer about it and told him he could check it out when I brought the car in for the first oil change. I am glad to see this and to see GM is aware of the issue. I was afraid this would be one of those issues that couldn't be pinpointed because like I said, its pretty minor. Thanks for the heads up!!
    Yeah, you really have to listen for it, and even then, some people might think its normal. The best way to reproduce the sound very easily is to rock the car side to side while sitting inside it on level ground. It has to be on level ground or it won't make the noise. I was able to get my service adviser and their master tech inside the car while I rocked it and they heard it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
    This seems like it might be related to the situation where they shut down the factory for a few weeks at the end of last year. I remember the shut down had something to do with defective, noisy struts.
    This is actually the reason for it from what I've read. GM was obviously aware of it, so its only a matter of time before they have a replacement. What bothers me is that since they've been shipping out the Cruze with the revised strut assembly since the plant went back online, this would mean that there is a revised strut assembly available, yet for some reason, its not available to dealers to install on models built prior to the VIN cutoff.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.