Excessive engine vibration?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Excessive engine vibration?

Duke of Oil
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.

Excessive engine vibration?

Has anyone had this issue? I'm noticing what may be excessive engine vibration on my 2012 Cruze Eco MT. My wife can feel the engine's vibration in the floorboards of the car when I accelerate past about 1600RPM. It sounds like I have an mild aftermarket exhaust or an exhaust resonator removed, but the whole system is completely stock. I even put the intake duct back in (which I removed to bypass the intake resonator), to make 100% sure that wasn't it, and that's not it.

I've also heard this before when an engine mount went bad. The vibration causes an exhaust-like noise. There's also noticeable vibration in the steering wheel when accelerating, especially below 1500RPM. I don't recall it being quite as bad before.

I checked the engine mounts over and couldn't see anything wrong from the surface. With previous cars, I could tell when they went bad because they were hydraulic and the fluid/grease just explodes and leaves a huge mess, but these seem to be solid rubber.

Any ideas what it could be? I'll have the dealer look into it when I drop it off hopefully this week to have the front strut assemblies replaced.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

My guess would be a heat shield. At certain rpm, vibration and resonance causes the feel and noise. Check along firewall and body, and around the cats. Sometimes the catalytic converter's own shield (or outside casing) comes lose and vibrates. Might also be making contact with exhaust. Check exhaust hangers and rubber bushings. Might need a little adjustment. Noise and vibration might only be around a certain rpm, when it hits a certain resonance, then goes away by 1900-2100 rpm or so. Hopefully there are no exhaust leaks or bad gaskets along the intake and exhaust track, causing vibration and idling problems.
    Tougher to do engine mount checks with a manual. With an automatic it is easy to observe excessive play by observing engine while putting in reverse and then drive a couple times while checking for movement. Sometimes power braking a little will also help while checking. With a manual, might be able to have someone observe from side of car (watching toes and side mirror) while checking in first gear with clutch engagement and disengagement a few times, then repeat in reverse.
    A slight coil or plug misfire might cause more noticeable vibration at certain rpm's, but I think you would probably feel that at idle too.
    Edit:
    The way the turbo is incorporated into the manifold might transmit more vibration and resonance if impeller is slightly out of balance or bearing is a little out of spec, but I doubt that you could feel it, unless exhaust is rubbing against the shields. Even then, I doubt it, and there would be other noise noticeable throughout rpm range.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by zr1000a1; 03-05-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

Duke of Oil
    Quote Originally Posted by zr1000a1 View Post
    My guess would be a heat shield. At certain rpm, vibration and resonance causes the feel and noise. Check along firewall and body, and around the cats. Sometimes the catalytic converter's own shield (or outside casing) comes lose and vibrates. Might also be making contact with exhaust. Check exhaust hangers and rubber bushings. Might need a little adjustment. Noise and vibration might only be around a certain rpm, when it hits a certain resonance, then goes away by 1900-2100 rpm or so. Hopefully there are no exhaust leaks or bad gaskets along the intake and exhaust track, causing vibration and idling problems.
    Tougher to do engine mount checks with a manual. With an automatic it is easy to observe excessive play by observing engine while putting in reverse and then drive a couple times while checking for movement. Sometimes power braking a little will also help while checking. With a manual, might be able to have someone observe from side of car (watching toes and side mirror) while checking in first gear with clutch engagement and disengagement a few times, then repeat in reverse.
    A slight coil or plug misfire might cause more noticeable vibration at certain rpm's, but I think you would probably feel that at idle too.
    Edit:
    The way the turbo is incorporated into the manifold might transmit more vibration and resonance if impeller is slightly out of balance or bearing is a little out of spec, but I doubt that you could feel it, unless exhaust is rubbing against the shields. Even then, I doubt it, and there would be other noise noticeable throughout rpm range.
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I drove it a bit more today and isolated the problem between 1700 and 1800RPM. When the car was cold, it caused a pretty loud vibration somewhere in front of the passenger area, either in the dash or somewhere near the firewall. As the car warmed up, that noise went away, but you could still hear a distinct vibration around those RPMs. Just curious if anyone else had this kind of issue.

I'll just have the dealer take care of it.

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Has anyone had this issue? I'm noticing what may be excessive engine vibration on my 2012 Cruze Eco MT. My wife can feel the engine's vibration in the floorboards of the car when I accelerate past about 1600RPM. It sounds like I have an mild aftermarket exhaust or an exhaust resonator removed, but the whole system is completely stock. I even put the intake duct back in (which I removed to bypass the intake resonator), to make 100% sure that wasn't it, and that's not it.

I've also heard this before when an engine mount went bad. The vibration causes an exhaust-like noise. There's also noticeable vibration in the steering wheel when accelerating, especially below 1500RPM. I don't recall it being quite as bad before.

I checked the engine mounts over and couldn't see anything wrong from the surface. With previous cars, I could tell when they went bad because they were hydraulic and the fluid/grease just explodes and leaves a huge mess, but these seem to be solid rubber.

Any ideas what it could be? I'll have the dealer look into it when I drop it off hopefully this week to have the front strut assemblies replaced.

XtremeRevolution,
    I would like you to keep me posted on the outcome of your visit to the dealership. They will be in the best position to get this issue properly diagnosed for you. If you have any further questions please feel free to message me.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Duke of Oil
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service View Post
    XtremeRevolution,
    I would like you to keep me posted on the outcome of your visit to the dealership. They will be in the best position to get this issue properly diagnosed for you. If you have any further questions please feel free to message me.
    Thank you,
    Thanks.

I've been in close contact with GM regarding my first issue with this car; the front suspension popping noise. I'm waiting for the part to be delivered. I understand they were ordered last week with an ETA of 5-12 days. Not sure if you are in the same office, but I've been working with a lady named Rachel, service request number 71-1035532273.

I will be calling back and filing another case if the dealership gives me absolutely any trouble with this problem. Thank you for keeping up to date on our issues Stacy. Your presence is very much appreciated.

Duke of Oil
    I have an appointment set up for tomorrow at 8:00 to have them replace the strut assemblies on the car, which arrived today, and will drive around a dealer technician to explain this problem. I will report back on the exact cause and remedy when that is determined.

Duke of Oil
    Well, I'm not sure what happened, but the vibration is gone. It could have been related to the strut issue I was having, as that may allow the vibrations to be transferred into the car more easily through the wheel bearing. I will update this thread if the problem comes back, but today was fairly cold out and the car was butter smooth.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Well, I'm not sure what happened, but the vibration is gone. It could have been related to the strut issue I was having, as that may allow the vibrations to be transferred into the car more easily through the wheel bearing. I will update this thread if the problem comes back, but today was fairly cold out and the car was butter smooth.

XtremeRevolution,
    I am very happy to hear that you are not experiencing this issue any longer. If it does come back please let me know. I hope you are able to do nothing but enjoy your Cruze now!
    Thank you,

I am having a similar issue on a 2013 LT A/T. When the engine is cold, it vibrates right before each gear change after 1800 rpm. On the highway I hear a constant BRRRR comming from the engine compartement (passenger side).

I managed to record this vibration : a little at 9s and very clear at 54s. The engine was already warm when I got this.

Administrator

I had this with my Lancer. It turned out to be ice build up in the front wheel wells that was interfering with the struts and springs. Once the ice melted the vibration went away. Had you been driving in snow and ice before this started?

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast