Light Sensor blinking when car is off and locked
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Light Sensor blinking when car is off and locked

Driver's Ed

Light Sensor blinking when car is off and locked

When I parked my car in my driveway tonight and locked the door, the light sensor (that ball under the windshield, in front of the cell phone pocket) started blinking a red light and I do not know what it means I'm afraid it's going to drain the battery of my car, would somebody please explain how to stop it or at least why it is blinking like that despite the car being off and locked.
    When I unlock it, it stops, when I lock it and the dashboard is still lit up, it is a solid red, but when I lock it so no lights are on it blinks red.
    I hope somebody can explain this to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

...it does the same thing on our car, the salesman said it's normal.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Alarm 'ARMED' indicator is the likely answer here..
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 01-11-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Driver's Ed
    Weird because I had never noticed the light going off at all since I got the car a month or two ago, I had no idea that ball even lit up until tonight, nor did I even know what it was .

...page 1-3 of the Owners Manual describes it as:

L. Light Sensor. See Automatic Headlamp System on page 6-3.

...and page 6-3 says this:

• Automatic Headlamp System
    When it is dark enough outside and and the exterior lamps control is in the automatic position, the headlamps come on automatically. See Exterior Lamp Controls on page 6-1.
    The vehicle has a light sensor located on top of the instrument panel. Make sure it is not covered, or the headlamps will be on when they are not needed. The system may also turn on the headlamps when driving through a parking garage or tunnel.

...but, page 2-10 has the answer (ta-da)!

• Immobilizer Operation
    This vehicle has a passive theft-deterrent system. The system does not have to be manually armed or disarmed. The vehicle is automatically immobilized when the key is removed from the ignition. The system is automatically disarmed when the vehicle is started with the correct key. The key uses a transponder that matches an immobilizer control unit in the vehicle and automatically disarms the system. Only an authorized key starts the vehicle. The vehicle may not start if the key is damaged.

The security light, located in the instrument panel cluster, comes on if there is a problem with arming or disarming the theft-deterrent system. When trying to start the vehicle, the security light comes on briefly when the ignition is turned on. If the engine does not start and the security light stays on, there is a problem with the system. Turn the ignition off and try again. If the engine still does not start, and the key appears to be undamaged or the light continues to stay on, try another ignition key. If the engine does not start with the other key, the vehicle needs service. If the vehicle does start, the first key may be damaged. See your dealer who can service the theft-deterrent system and have a new key made.

Do not leave the key or device that disarms or deactivates the theft-deterrent system in the vehicle.
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 01-11-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Driver's Ed
    Yeah I saw that in the book but I'm still at a loss as to why it is doing it when the car is off.

1st Gear
    i dont think mine does that.

Learning about my Cruze
    Mine does it. I believe it's actually just to tell you and warn others that the integrated security system is active - The light flashes from the ball shaped object on the dash near the defrosting vents.

2nd Gear
    Yes, that's HAL's eye.

Driver's Ed
    Mine does it as does my folks Subaru Forrester, brother's VW Tiguan and my former car (a Nissan). It is related to the security system being on as far as I know. Its pretty common on new cars. Saw it on a BMW parked next to me this evening.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast