Antifreeze Smell Thread - Page 43
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 43 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: Antifreeze Smell Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bryanakron40 View Post
    This is why I believe you have a water pump bolt issue. I think if they replaced the pump and gasket with the new one, it would go away. I don't see why they are so against replacing the pump. All I had to do was write it up that the coolant was seen leaking from around the pump bolts. It isn't a complete lie. They know it is a problem on these and they know that it is going to be hard to find. Plus the fact that you still have an issue.
    Sorry but that did not fix mine! They replaced the pump and still it smelled!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cruze01 View Post
    Sorry but that did not fix mine! They replaced the pump and still it smelled!
    Yes, but was it with the updated parts? If with the newer pump and gasket then I am at a loss.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2LT View Post
    My car is currently in the shop for the coolant smell. Did they replace the coolant bottle with a '13 one? That's what the dealer is going to do for me. He said the '13 bottles are designed different.

RS2LT,
    Have you been in contact with customer service in regards to your Cruze concerns? I would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name and VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1st Gear
    Before I go back to the dealer, or another one to get this looked at AGAIN..I still smell coolant even with the tsb fix. It is strong when I first lift up the hood. I assume this is still not normal for the car

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by dby2011 View Post
    Before I go back to the dealer, or another one to get this looked at AGAIN..I still smell coolant even with the tsb fix. It is strong when I first lift up the hood. I assume this is still not normal for the car
    I may be wrong,but i don't believe you are going to get rid of the antifreeze smell in the engine compartment. Probably the best you can hope for is to keep the smell from entering the car's cabin. That was the case with my 2011 LT. The additional air intake plenum seals stopped the smell inside, but it was still in the engine compartment. Having retired from a GM dealer as a service manager after 40 years, I wanted to stay with a GM car. I traded the Cruze on a 2013 Malibu last month. The Cruze is a great car except for the coolant smell. It just seems to be one of those problems that often happen to a vehicle, that there may not be a fix for. Again this car was designed by Daewoo. BTW the Malibu seems to be a great car. No problems so far.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by expontiacowner View Post
    I may be wrong,but i don't believe you are going to get rid of the antifreeze smell in the engine compartment. Probably the best you can hope for is to keep the smell from entering the car's cabin. That was the case with my 2011 LT. The additional air intake plenum seals stopped the smell inside, but it was still in the engine compartment. Having retired from a GM dealer as a service manager after 40 years, I wanted to stay with a GM car. I traded the Cruze on a 2013 Malibu last month. The Cruze is a great car except for the coolant smell. It just seems to be one of those problems that often happen to a vehicle, that there may not be a fix for. Again this car was designed by Daewoo. BTW the Malibu seems to be a great car. No problems so far.
    Ugh..I just don't know what to do. My coworker got a 2012 Cruze as a rental today- I went to check it out- sure enough, popped the hood and we did smell a little coolant. It will cost me way more money to get into a Malibu with similar equipment. We use the remote start a lot and you can't get the remote start unless you get a Malibu LT which is at least 25 grand.
    Last edited by dby2011; 11-20-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dby2011 View Post
    Ugh..I just don't know what to do. My coworker got a 2012 Cruze as a rental today- I went to check it out- sure enough, popped the hood and we did smell a little coolant. It will cost me way more money to get into a Malibu with similar equipment. We use the remote start a lot and you can't get the remote start unless you get a Malibu LT which is at least 25 grand.
    A friend of mine bought a 2012 ECO last summer and did not have any problems until now. Did anyone hear any complaints on the 2013s?

1st Gear
    Have to wonder if eventually we will see a recall because of this. I am going to stop at another dealer to see what they say tomorrow, however now that I had a chance to look at another Cruze that still smells of coolant (a 2012 LT with 16,000 miles) I have to wonder if it is some design issue that they don't have a fix for now.
    steve333 and Starks8 like this.

I wonder if anyone has considered starting a class action law suite over this. Apparently there are many others like myself who have lost thousands of dollars due to having to trade the thing off!
    steve333 likes this.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cruze01 View Post
    I wonder if anyone has considered starting a class action law suite over this. Apparently there are many others like myself who have lost thousands of dollars due to having to trade the thing off!
    Update: Dealer is going to pressure test my car again and look around the water pump. Another lady dropped off a 2011 LT when I was there and he checked her car, sure enough, you could smell coolant as soon as you lifted up the hood and the fluid level was barley above the bottom hose- about an inch lower of where it is supposed to be. I am convinced this a general design issue.

As to what you said Cruze01- you are exactly right- I test drove a Dodge Dart today and they looked at my car and would give me less then what I owe and this is the sister dealership to the Chevy dealer I bought my Cruze from- they are literally right next to each other. I will take a big loss if I get rid of the Cruze. I have about 10 grand in principle and trade in I would lose if I get into another car.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 43 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast