Antifreeze Smell Thread - Page 55

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Closed Thread
Page 55 of 109 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: Antifreeze Smell Thread

Eco
    Handbrake Released
    Inmy personal experience no. I've only owned a few OE turbo cars, my other non OE turbo projects were all journal bearing without coolant provisions.
    If it is any consolation though, my 1994 Supra (likely actually manufactured sometimes in late 1993) had it's stock twins on as late as 1 year ago from now with 80K miles on them. I never burned coolant. 80K miles on an 18 year old vehicle that had TWO water cooled turbos never went through coolant like this.
    Nor did my 2.0TFSI 6MT 2006 Passat, however that car used more oil than ANY car I've EVER seens. 1 Qt / 1000 miles...

To answer the question, can the turbo use coolant?
    Yeah it can. If it were being processed through the turbo either throught the exhaust or through the comp housing back into the motor, once it got bad enough even the smallest bit would cause a coolant smell from the exhaust - which I don't have.

That doesn't rule out the turbo itself leaking, which has coolant sitting in a literally boiling hot turbocharger housing...
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Hey Steve.....UNF***INGACCEPTIBLE!!!! lol.
    When you guys get a lawyer to go after them, let me know. I want to see the $15 gas card you get for the trouble. Just sell the cars and go buy something else.
    Munchausen by Proxy.....what I am reminded of by this thread.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by cruze2011white View Post
    Actually I think its leaking again. The dealer called and ask me about it and I told the service department like always is very good but it might still be leaking. The lady on the phone said she would let my service advisor know that I might be calling again. I can't see the leak but opening the hood i can see where somehow its leaking on the belts and spraying it on frame and there is a smell.

cruze2011white,
    Have you been in contact with customer service in regards to this concern? If you have not you can send me a PM with your name and VIN so I can look into this for you. Either way, please keep me posted on this and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    me an my wife have been starting to notice the coolant smell and it seems to only happen when cold outside and the heat is on. It almost smells like i is blowing out of the vents.
    I am hesitant to take to dealer as i have had several other issues and I am now getting the "you have an extended warranty" speach and that you have nothing to worry about wait until it gets more noticeable. Imaging me talking to them about a coolant smell

I guess i dont have a choice i will keep you posted Wish me luck

silverfox;,
    I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Thank you,

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Service View Post
    silverfox;,
    I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Thank you,

Stacy, What do you do with the info provided (as I did last weeK)>? Do you forward to GM or the dealer? Thanks.

1st Gear
    UPDATE/ I did provide info to Stacy (on this site ).. My guess is he forwarded some info to the dealer. I went to the dealer today. They had a strange way of seeming to be protecting everything they did (I ll tell you further).. I stated that it has not used lots of coolent, maybe an inch or two on the overflow but I do smell coolent very often coming thru the air vents. They did a pressure test (all was OK), No leaks detected. Then they put the dye into the system so we can see any leaks in a week or so. They then told me they are going to leave the repair OPEN and provided me with no paperwork. They want me to return so they can put the hose on, that we saw on someone elses post, which vents everything down and away from the vent intake area. Ok, so far so good. It appears they already know what we guessed this week about the coolant tank. I wonder if they will recall and do all Cruzes or just complainers?
    Side note , the service writter and a manager of some sort came out to me before the car came out. Again, they looked very guarded. They had a pile of paperwork about the oil fires and TSB or recall about cutting the undercar shield. They said they had to do the repair. I said I am aware of the recall and signed off last time because I change my own oil and do not leave any spilled oil on the shield. They then said that they HAD TO do the service according to NTSB and could not let it go out undone. Then they told me they already did the repair on the shield. I was kind of supprised as I told them not to do it when I signed the car in. (Just like the last time). I felt it was not worth talking about it any further as I am not sure if they had to correct this even against my direction. So I said, Ok, if it s done, it s done. Its only a lease. So I am happy that the dealer went to full route with the coolant smell,,, I strongly suspect they got the word about an unhappy customer coming in. Stacy?? Maybe.
    I ll go back next week and let them affix the coolant tank hose. Maybe that s the fix.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cerbomark View Post
    UPDATE/ I did provide info to Stacy (on this site ).. My guess is he forwarded some info to the dealer. I went to the dealer today. They had a strange way of seeming to be protecting everything they did (I ll tell you further).. I stated that it has not used lots of coolent, maybe an inch or two on the overflow but I do smell coolent very often coming thru the air vents. They did a pressure test (all was OK), No leaks detected. Then they put the dye into the system so we can see any leaks in a week or so. They then told me they are going to leave the repair OPEN and provided me with no paperwork. They want me to return so they can put the hose on, that we saw on someone elses post, which vents everything down and away from the vent intake area. Ok, so far so good. It appears they already know what we guessed this week about the coolant tank. I wonder if they will recall and do all Cruzes or just complainers?
    Side note , the service writter and a manager of some sort came out to me before the car came out. Again, they looked very guarded. They had a pile of paperwork about the oil fires and TSB or recall about cutting the undercar shield. They said they had to do the repair. I said I am aware of the recall and signed off last time because I change my own oil and do not leave any spilled oil on the shield. They then said that they HAD TO do the service according to NTSB and could not let it go out undone. Then they told me they already did the repair on the shield. I was kind of supprised as I told them not to do it when I signed the car in. (Just like the last time). I felt it was not worth talking about it any further as I am not sure if they had to correct this even against my direction. So I said, Ok, if it s done, it s done. Its only a lease. So I am happy that the dealer went to full route with the coolant smell,,, I strongly suspect they got the word about an unhappy customer coming in. Stacy?? Maybe.
    I ll go back next week and let them affix the coolant tank hose. Maybe that s the fix.
    That tsb also involves putting in plastic pieces in the cowl to block airflow towards the side windows- make sure they do that. Also, after trying 3x my dealer finally was able to get the hose permanently affixed using epoxy (see my other posts), I would be interested in how your dealer does it. Even after the tsb and pressure/dye tests that show no leaks, I am still having issues. It got cold today and the odor was strong inside the car- the strongest it's been since I initially complained about it back in April. When I noticed the smell today I checked my temps- coolant was 225 and then went down to 212 then back up to 221 and then down and up again- first time I noticed this and coincidently was the first time in months I had the strong smell inside my cabin. Who knows if there is some type of correlation between the two. I am anxiously awaiting my dealer to get back with me to discuss what GM will be offering me to get me in another vehicle.
    Last edited by dby2011; 12-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dby2011 View Post
    That tsb also involves putting in plastic pieces in the cowl to block airflow towards the side windows- make sure they do that. Also, after trying 3x my dealer finally was able to get the hose permanently affixed using epoxy (see my other posts), I would be interested in how your dealer does it. Even after the tsb and pressure/dye tests that show no leaks, I am still having issues. It got cold today and the odor was strong inside the car- the strongest it's been since I initially complained about it back in April. When I noticed the smell today I checked my temps- coolant was 225 and then went down to 212 then back up to 221 and then down and up again- first time I noticed this and coincidently was the first time in months I had the strong smell inside my cabin. Who knows if there is some type of correlation between the two.
    Doesn t three tries get you a Lemon Law car???
    Wonder of that s why they left my repair OPEN?
    steve333 likes this.

Off-Road Champion
    It depends on your state's law. In OH, it's four strikes for the same repair and there's something in it concerning the number of different repairs during a specified amount of time.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    16,900 Mi., Avg. MPG: 33 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    25 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    45,384 November '14 YTD

Driver's Ed
    It's standard procedure to leave a repair order OPEN on a warranty claim. Leaving it open avoids filing another claim when the repair is completed. The dealer should be able to provide you with a copy of the repairs made to date, if you want one.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.