Antifreeze Smell Thread - Page 80
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 80 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: Antifreeze Smell Thread

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohdan View Post
    The Cruze has this problem yet it seems the Chevy Sonic does not. Different parts but yet the engine is same however the coolant tank different. GM should have a fix for us if they look into the Sonic and find out what they did different.
    Made a good tank apparently.

I would advise against adding coolant up to the line. It worsened the smell tenfold in mine. If its below the mark, it doesn't matter too much. It will only expand when hot.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    The Cruze has this problem yet it seems the Chevy Sonic does not. Different parts but yet the engine is same however the coolant tank different. GM should have a fix for us if they look into the Sonic and find out what they did different.
    The Sonic is nearly 400 pounds lighter than the Cruze. The same engine is performing much differently to achieve nearly the same mileage. I'd bet that the ECU maps/software are very much different between the two cars. I'm betting the Cruze 1.4L implementation is working much harder.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    13,000 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    21 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    21,759 June '14 YTD

I've noticed that no-one in Europe, Asia, or Australia has complaints about this - perhaps GM in the USA should have just copied the Korean Cruze?

Driver's Ed
    Report is pretty much same story. Noted lighted or from heat last winter and definite coolant smell outside when parked. System checked for coolant leak last aug - NTF. Noticed stronger odor w/ cold weather, took back in, TSB fix for hood seals and drain line. No change. Took back in. Initial report - NTF (I gave them detailed,repeatable procedure). I called cust serv and started case last night. Called dealer today, service had not called him yet. He did comment that it was the first time service fix did not work which I found odd since he stated the prior day NTF. About to suggest sitting in a new car for 45 minutes, then mine. I'll provide the eye drops...

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by grs1961 View Post
    I've noticed that no-one in Europe, Asia, or Australia has complaints about this - perhaps GM in the USA should have just copied the Korean Cruze?
    So the real key is if the above statement is true, that is, no complaints with coolant smell outside North America, what is physically different between a 1.4L turbo (gas/petrol) powertrain setup in a Lordstown produced Cruze vs. a Cruze built and sold outside North America. The problem is the probability of ever getting one of each side-by-side is slim. I realize that the software calibrations are most likely unique for each car, but what about the actual hardware, the physical parts. What's common and what is unique?

World Rally Champion
    The Sonic just like the new Buick Encore do not have the tank mounted directly in front of the driver near the HVAC air intake. Both of those cars its mounted to the upper radiator support at least 2-3ft farther away from where air enters the cabin.

Lifetime: 10.7 cents per mile @ $3.74 average price over 49K miles

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    So the real key is if the above statement is true, that is, no complaints with coolant smell outside North America, what is physically different between a 1.4L turbo (gas/petrol) powertrain setup in a Lordstown produced Cruze vs. a Cruze built and sold outside North America. The problem is the probability of ever getting one of each side-by-side is slim. I realize that the software calibrations are most likely unique for each car, but what about the actual hardware, the physical parts. What's common and what is unique?
    After making the above post, I realized that maybe the forum members outside the USA & Canada can be of some help. It would be great to have available and posted some good clear digital photo, using a real camera and not a camera phone, of the surge tank and cooling system on a 1.4L Turbo petrol Cruze made outside the US. Since the likely hood of getting an actual car for examination is remote, having some good underhood photos, specifically of the surge tank and such would be great. Is there a better way to ask for these photos vs. inside this thread?
    grs1961 likes this.

If it wasn't stinking hot outside - 40C - I'd wander up the road and talk a dealer into opening the lid of one for me!

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    After making the above post, I realized that maybe the forum members outside the USA & Canada can be of some help. It would be great to have available and posted some good clear digital photo, using a real camera and not a camera phone, of the surge tank and cooling system on a 1.4L Turbo petrol Cruze made outside the US. Since the likely hood of getting an actual car for examination is remote, having some good underhood photos, specifically of the surge tank and such would be great. Is there a better way to ask for these photos vs. inside this thread?
    Keep in mind that even the 1.8's are not immune from this issue, according to the poll about the smell started here.

Any foreign Cruze - besides the 2.0 diesel, because I already know that is different - would be helpful here.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

BOOOOST!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodeis View Post
    You ever tried to duplicate an intermittant problem? Not always the easiest thing to do. That being said, it's ridiculous for GM to not have acknowledged that their fixes aren't working. I got a notice in the mail for my trailblazer. There is a problem with the door modules, they dont have a fix but they are working on it and wanted to give everyone notice. Does that satisfy me? No. But at least they are communicating the fact that they are aware of the problem.
    It's not intermittent in my car anymore, it's every time it reaches operating temp.

I told the dealer this, they let my car cool off, pressure tested it, and told me they could not duplicate the issue.

Either they're retarded, or they don't want to duplicate the issue. I drove home 45 minutes tonight with the heat off for the last 30 minutes, because after it hits temp it stinks.
    '12 Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi

'05 GSXR750 - Big ole turbo.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 80 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast