Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifreeze Smell Thread

383K views 1K replies 122 participants last post by  XtremeRevolution 
#1 · (Edited)
I've noticed a few threads regarding antifreeze smell emanating from the engine compartment on 1.4 liter Cruze. I thought it would be a good idea to centralize information regarding the issue.

In my personal experience, the smell would originate from under the hood, and waft in through the windows occasionally. I've visited the dealer three times for the issue, below is the order of events:
  1. Visit one, dealer "could not duplicate"
  2. Visit two, dealer changed the coolant surge tank, smell still present
  3. Visit three, currently in progress, deal followed procedure outlined in recent TSB, dyed coolant, and cycled the engine a few times. Noted leakage coming from the timing chain cover, as the dealer explained, it is a cast piece, and as a result of a manufacturing defect, there is either a hairline crack\improper formation in the housing. The part has been replaced, and remains at the dealer for additional testing. visit began 3/16/12.

*update 3/23, new part installed, dealer said the car was running rough, likely due to timing chain is a notch off, they ordered new gaskets, might have the car back next week sometime...sigh...disappointing

What has everyone experienced?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've noticed a few threads regarding antifreeze smell emanating from the engine compartment on 1.4 liter Cruze. I thought it would be a good idea to centralize information regarding the issue.

In my personal experience, the smell would originate from under the hood, and waft in through the windows occasionally. I've visited the dealer three times for the issue, below is the order of events:
  1. Visit one, dealer "could not duplicate"
  2. Visit two, dealer changed the coolant surge tank, smell still present
  3. Visit three, currently in progress, deal followed procedure outlined in recent TSB, dyed coolant, and cycled the engine a few times. Noted leakage coming from the timing chain cover, as the dealer explained, it is a cast piece, and as a result of a manufacturing defect, there is either a hairline crack\improper formation in the housing. The part has been replaced, and remains at the dealer for additional testing. visit began 3/16/12.
What has everyone experienced?

Xenocamry,
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced with your Cruze. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your full name, address, phone number, VIN number, current mileage and the name of the dealership that your vehicle is at? I look forward to hearing back from you as well as assisting you with this issue.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#3 ·
I had the same smell problem, however, when the dealer changed the tank and cap it did go away. Apparently that small clear molded tube coming from under the cap was seeping vapors somehow, you could also see a line of residue under the tube leading down the side of the tank. I have not smelled antifreeze since they replaced it.

#101 ·
Update! The smell like the cat came back!!! I have continued to smell the antifreeze for the past several weeks and even tried to trade the care off but HURAY!!! for me I think I found the problem today... I took a flash lite and went over every inch of the motor and found a small puddle of antifreeze on a bracket of the motor back behind the drive belt. I cant tell if its coming from the water pump or a gasket but I will have it back to the dealer tomorrow for him to look at it.

#6 ·
I've had the same problem with my Cruze. The smell is not constant...mainly when the heater is running... and when it is very cold outside. The mechanic smelled it the second time I brought it in but has been unable to find the problem.

They replaced the air compressor, cabin filter, and we have done the dye test. They have been unable to find a leak. We have spoke with Chevy and they had an engineer come out and have been unable to duplicate the problem.

The dealerships have been told not to replace any parts unless they find a leak. They are working on a solution. They had my car for 4-5 weeks... mechanic was very nice... but I told him that just because Chevy can't figure out the problem doesn't mean that I should have to smell it. I'm sure that it can't be very healthy to smell this.

#9 ·
patty1671,
I understand your frustration with this issue. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM your full name, address, phone number, VIN number, current mileage and the name of the dealership that you have been working with? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,

#10 ·
Cruzergal,
I understand that this issue is frustrating and I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM your full name, address, phone number, VIN number, current mileage and the name of the dealership that you have been working with? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,

#13 ·
...please DO keep us advised of your results!

#14 ·
Before it was a whiff here and there, today not only did my fiance notice, but so did the guy next to us in the parking lot. This is bs I've had nothing but problems with this car since i bought it. I've tried to remain calm about this, but it's ridiculous.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
Just curious, how many dealershiip service departments have you had this car to? Is it just the one where you purchased it?

#17 ·
Wow! Thanks. I continue to question the ability of Chevy service departments to handle the Cruze. Perhaps Chevy Corporate needs to put some focus on how well trained they are, and perhaps cough up some more warranty support ($$$$$$) for the car. Of course, by the time that happens, the '11s and '12s will be out of warranty. Guess the best thing to do is wait for the 2013s.

#18 ·
You know come to think of it I smell antifreeze too. I never really thought much about it. I just bought mine in December and it's a 2012.

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#21 ·
Can someone kindly describe the antifreeze smell? I think I might be smelling it. I only get this weird smell if the fan is on or if the car hasn't been driven for a long period of time.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#25 ·
Took my 2011 Cruze LT in today for coolant smell and film on W/shield. Dealer ordered a heater core. I have my doubts that this will repair it, since there are no signs of a leak. Also my A/C was not cooling properly. Dealer said it was cooling OK. Since it was 55 degrees, don't think they could tell. We shall see. I recently retired as a dept. manager for a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer. I purchased the Cruze due to the elimination of Pontiac. Not a great experience so far.

#29 ·
expontiacowner,
I understand that this can be frustrating. I would like you to keep me posted on the outcome of these issues. In the meantime if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,

#26 ·
I took mine in for the same thing and they put dye in it and said drive for a week or two and come back.

I took it back and they said they could not find any anti freeze leak but did find a transmission leak and replaced a transmission pump gasket. Started getting a lot better mileage after they did that.

I always smelled anti-freeze at the front of the engine after I drive home from work and always had from day one. The mechanic smelled it too but they could not find a leak and I haven't been losing any and there is non on the ground where I park. I have to get out and walk to the front of the car to smell it and I don't smell it while driving or inside the car.

Our mazda 3s has had the same thing since it was new and it has never had a cooling problem and to this day you can still somell some anti-freeze occassional after driving it. But no leaks and no coolant loss so I don't know go figure.

#30 ·
jtk33;83368,
I would suggest that you contact your local dealership and have them look into this issue for you. if you would like I can contact your dealer for you and make you an appointment. If you would like me to make you an appointment please send me a PM with your name and VIN. I would also like you to keep me posted on the outcome of your appointment at the dealer. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,

#28 ·
Didn't I read on here that the issue with the antifreeze smell is caused by the antifreeze boiling in the turbo after shutting off the engine? If I remember correctly the smell is coming from the coolant overflow tank & more than one person said they have lost a few inches of antifreeze in the overflow over 10,000-15,000 miles.
Only thing you can do until they design a pump to circulate the coolant after shutoff for a bit(like ford has) is to drive easy on the car the last couple miles of a drive & idle for 30seconds to a minute after reaching your destination to keep the coolant circulating a bit longer to help cool the turbo.

This explanation made sense to me, reminded of some of the old turbo tractors idling for 30minutes after leaving the field because the turbo was so hot it causes early turbo failure if shutting off when hot.

#31 ·
Hello I have a 2011 1.4 LTZ auto same issue 24150 Miles so far had to fill up over flow 2 nd time, am loosing 1.5 inch of coolant per 10 to 12 thousand miles due to ether boiling off or evaporation or the antifreeze fairy, asked dealer twice they say nothing is wrong. OK but why do I have to add coolant every 10000 they had no answer. I guess will have to live with it will treat it like routine maintenance change oil, add coolant. Should just add it to the owners manual.

#37 ·
The coolant loss may be due to a leaky turbo. The Turbo is both oil and liquid cooled. Did they check the exhaust for coolant? There is a notice on GM's TechLink (all dealer service folks are supposed to read it) that talks about replacing the turbo if they can't find any other coolant leaks. It's reference bulletin PI0675. You should never have to add coolant unless there is a leak or the car has been overheating and boiling off coolant through the tank overflow.

#32 ·
Jewel - go to a different dealer. The engine coolant system is a "closed" system. There should never be a coolant level drop unless there is a leak.

#34 ·
jtk33, I agree, the radio reception is not very good. Stations that came in crystal clear on my last three cars (2004 Taurus, 2000 Contour and 1993 Saturn SL2) come in with noticable static on my 2012 Cruze LT RS. I don't listen to the radio all that often, but when I do it would be nice if the stations came in clear, without static (like they did on my other cars).

#35 · (Edited)
Hello,

I bought my Cruze 2LT one year ago. I live in Canada and all winter long I had issues with windows condensation even though I was pulling air from the outside. The heat setting was about 1/3 of the way from the middle position, the fan on 1/4 or 2/4 and the windshield/floor setting was used almost all the time. Also, my windshield and front windows seem to have a slight film, it doesnt freeze but smears around when wiped.

Right before the winter started, I got tinted windows installed and I assumed they must have used a dirty cloth or something; thats how I explained why my windows were getting foggy. My windshield doesnt get foggy but it seems to have a slight film too.

On top of that, after owning the car for a year, I can still smell that "new" car smell and I find it weird. I have put 12500km on it. I came across this article regarding coolant leaks and antifreeze smell and decided to look into it. Tomorrow I will look for coolant leaks inside the engine compartement and the cabin.

I found a picture of my engine back in July 2011. I shows my coolant tank full, right up to the level mark which is normal when the engine is cold. Today, it is 8C outside and I drove the car for 30 minutes. I let it idle for 5 hours and the coolant level is about 3/4" lower. I will leave it overnight and recheck it tomorrow to see if it will come back to the level mark. Even after not driving the car for two days, the level is about 3/4" to about 1" below the level mark. My GM dealer is closed on weekends and this Monday, but I will try to contact them next Tuesday.

Given that inhaling antifreeze is totally unhealthy for adulds and extremly toxic for children, if this is a real problem, I hope GM will fix it asap.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Auto part Vehicle Automotive fuel system Car

Attachments

#36 ·
I just dropped my car off at the dealer because of this smell and the film on the window.... granted i recently cleaned my windshield so it was safe to drive and see out of so they didn't notice that as bad as it normally gets, and while going for a test drive the guy from the dealership said he couldn't notice the smell, even though to me it was clearly there.

Im not very hopeful that this will get fixed on this trip to the dealer after the ride i had today, but we will see i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.