44K views 185 replies 60 participants last post by  shinylugnut 
#1 ·
Report Receipt Date: MAR 31, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V151000
Component(s): POWER TRAIN

[h=5]Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)[/h]

• CHEVROLETCRUZE2013-2014

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h]General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2013 and 2014 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a 1.4L turbo engine, and manufactured between November 28, 2012, and March 7, 2014. On the affected vehicles, the right front half shaft may fracture and separate. [h=5]CONSEQUENCE:[/h]If the half shaft fractures and separates while driving, the vehicle would lose power and coast to a stop. If a vehicle with a fractured half shaft is parked without the parking brake applied, the vehicle could move unexpectedly. Either condition increases the risk of a crash. [h=5]REMEDY:[/h]GM will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the right half shaft, as needed, free of charge. Parts for the remedy are not currently available. GM will send an interim letter to owners the week of April 28, 2014. A second owner letter will be mailed when parts are available. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-866-694-6546. GM's number for this recall is 14079. This is an expansion of recall 13V-452. NOTE: Some vehicles subject to this recall were subject to the recall campaign initiated in 2013. Some of those vehicles were repaired using defective parts. Those owners will be advised that they must have their vehicles remedied again under this campaign and that having the earlier recall completed did not remedy their vehicles. [h=5]NOTES:[/h]Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

[hr][/hr]
I suspect this is related to last fall's recall for the same reason:

[h=3] RECALL Subject : Front Right Half Shaft may Fracture [/h]Report Receipt Date: SEP 23, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V452000
Component(s): POWER TRAIN

[h=5]Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)[/h]

• CHEVROLETCRUZE2013-2014

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h]General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2013 and 2014 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with manual transmissions (MF3/MR5) and manufactured January 24, 2013, through August 1, 2013. On the affected vehicles, the right front half shaft may fracture and separate. [h=5]CONSEQUENCE:[/h]If the half shaft fractures and separates while driving, the vehicle would lose power and coast to a stop. If a vehicle with a fractured half shaft is parked without the parking brake applied, the vehicle could move unexpectedly. Either condition increases the risk of a crash. [h=5]REMEDY:[/h]General Motors has notified owners. Dealers will replace the half shaft assembly, free of charge. The safety recall began on October 15, 2013. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300. This is General Motors campaign number 13276. [h=5]NOTES:[/h]Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Before you go bugging our GM Social Media reps (Chevy Customer Care), please give GM a chance to get the notices out and their recall database updated. Also, dealers may initially have to wait for replacement parts.

Also, I know that at least one person will read this and panic - it's human nature. Remember, from an objective standpoint your car is no more likely to fail now that you know this recall has occurred. All this notice does is make you aware there is a potential problem.

Finally, go to http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/105-ask-general-motors/36433-gm-recall-database-check.html here on CruzeTalk for information on how to check on recall status for your car.

#3 ·
Remember, from an objective standpoint your car is no more likely to fail now that you know this recall has occurred.
Which is exactly why I responded by taking our car on a 340 mile road trip Saturday.
No worries.

#4 ·
wait what? This needs to get done again? Interesting.

#5 ·
Had my right half shaft replaced before my 3,000+ mile 2 week trip around Christmas for recall on my 2013 Eco 6MT. Would be funny if they recalled it again. Traveled to Raleigh, then Lexington, then Detroit, Toronto, back to Detroit, back down to Lexington and then home over the holidays. Have had it since new (3 miles on the dash when I test drove) for just under a year now and have 16k on it now. Trifecta tune is the only thing aftermarket besides the plugin bluetooth adapter for Torque to read off of (Which has caused some odd starts a couple times, flipping the computer out). Just the other week took it with a full load (3 people, 2 suitcases, a duffelbag, and 40gal Tote) to Atlanta and back without problems.

I like to beat on the car every once in a while for a good half tank of gas, lifetime average of 39.2 (Though the car seems to add 2mpg in the positive reliably, so 37.2) while I average 42-44mpg with a/c on. Haven't ran into any other issues, guess I've been lucky!

#6 ·
The reason I included the ECO MT only recall is that the date range for the new recall completely covers the ECO MT recall. We don't know at this time if the ECO MTs that were recalled last fall will be recalled again. It is a possibility, especially since the new recall includes cars built after those ECOs were "repaired".

#107 ·
not sure if this was covered already or not but I have a 2014 Eco MT that is needing to get this done as well went in for my first service and they did inform me that there was a recall then after further inspection GM did order the part for me but it's still on national back order... so I'm waiting for it to come in still.

#7 ·
As far as I know that recall last september wasn't JUST Eco's. My 2LT manual was also affected and "fixed." I'm interested to see if my car falls under this new recall.

#8 ·
foxdude and others can get away with romping on their Cruze with no ill effect. Then, as stated by a member in the other thread you have a hypermiler that babies their Cruze and snap crackle pop goes the axle. Just a matter if you've gotten unlucky with one of the bum units that should've failed QC. GM only claims to have warrantied 'a few dozen' which is a needle in the haystack. Glad they're owning up to things and trying to make it right.

#10 ·
If you are a supplier of this type of part and you want to get the parts out the door faster, you cheat on the heat treating steps. Deja vu all over again. In the 1970's, Chevrolet was plagued with "soft" cam shafts in their 305 cu. in. small block V-8. They thumbed their nose at all of us who asked for extended warranty help. Failure typically occurred around 60,000 miles. I bought an RV cam for it and did it myself. Much better low end torque.

#11 ·
Auto part Pipe Suspension part Suspension Engine
Auto part Suspension part Suspension Wheel Pipe
Auto part Pipe Suspension part Suspension Engine
Auto part Technology Electronic device Vehicle Family car
When I was poking around under my wife's 13 Eco mt earlier I was shocked at what the axles looked like! She bought it in October & has 4500km (about 2500mi). The undercarriage is rust free & spotless until you look at the axles. Heck even my axles on my quads don't look that rough!

#15 ·
View attachment 70625 View attachment 70633 View attachment 70625 View attachment 70641 When I was poking around under my wife's 13 Eco mt earlier I was shocked at what the axles looked like! She bought it in October & has 4500km (about 2500mi). The undercarriage is rust free & spotless until you look at the axles. Heck even my axles on my quads don't look that rough!
My half shafts were painted with no rust on the shafts, only issue was that the pass side shaft was in 2 pieces....

#20 ·
Anybody ever wonder, when they would see the sun up? Just remember when you come up, the show goes on!

#22 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and remind everyone we are here if you have any questions. Please reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

#23 ·
I recently got the recall notice on my OnStar diagnostic report. I called my dealer and scheduled an appt for the 16th to get the axle inspected. According to the VIN, my Cruze is part of the recall, yet the dealer service man said they still have to inspect the axle to see if it is one that has to be replaced or not. If it is determined to be a defective axle, then they will order the new one and install it at a later date. Didn't think fast enough to ask the service guy, but I'm wondering why they don't already know whether or not the axle is defective or not? Are they saying that different axles (part #'s) where installed on Cruzes of the same production run? I will ask him anyway, when I go to the inspection appointment.

#26 · (Edited)
Didn't think fast enough to ask the service guy, but I'm wondering why they don't already know whether or not the axle is defective or not? Are they saying that different axles (part #'s) where installed on Cruzes of the same production run? I will ask him anyway, when I go to the inspection appointment.
From what I've read on this subject, there may be two different production runs of axles (possibly from different suppliers) and they have to check to see if you got a good one or a bad one when your car was assembled (or recalled). Given what they've done with the ignition switch part number and apparently with the Cruze water pump part number, it's highly likely all of the axles (good and bad) have the same part number. It costs a lot of money to do a supersede part number in an inventory system that is spread all over the U.S., especially with the volume of pieces relative to a car. Unless it's a part that the company feels they must get out of the system, and out of the customer's possession, they just start sending the new part out into the supply chain.

Reactions: obermd
#25 ·
We've had some indications that there were at least two different axle shafts being installed during the period the recall covers. Thus, the need for the inspection to verify which axle shaft each car has.

#29 · (Edited)
More discussion on the subject of changing part numbers in GM. It looks like GM didn't think the switches were a danger to the populace, or didn't want to acknowledge it. Oddly enough, when the ignition switch in my "83 Civic broke after 6 years of use (the only thing that broke on the car in 8 years of ownership), the replacement switch had a different part number. I even questioned it with the the parts counter guy to make sure I had the right one, and he verified it was a supersede part number.

GM Engineer Was Okd By Delphi To Leave Part Number Unchanged | GM Authority

#30 ·
Well, it turns out that I have one of the bad axles. The dealer inspected it today and ordered me a new one. They will call me when it arrives. Yes, apparently there were two different axles being installed on these recalled cars. They were looking for identification marks near the rubber boot. Something about a green dot and either 1 or 2 hash marks.

#32 ·
Hello Everyone,

Please feel free to send us a private message with your VINs included if you have any questions or concerns about the recall. We will be glad to look into this for you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#33 ·
FYI I just brought my cruze in for this recall and other stuff. I was told by the service advisor (whom I'm friends with) that they currently have 30 cars ahead of me (mostly rentals). Said that they have had this part on order for a month now it's still being designed...so I have a rental car for the next few weeks....or months....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.