Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

#PI0461B: Supplemental Repair Required for HVAC Condenser Inoperative/Replacement Due

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jsusanka 
#1 ·
A TSB for dealing with installing the guard for the ac condensor to keep it from getting stone damage.

Subject:Supplemental Repair Required for HVAC Condenser Inoperative/Replacement Due to Stone/Foreign Material Impact

Models:2011-2012 Chevrolet Cruze (LT and LS Trim Levels)

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]This PI is being revised to add update information in the Recommendation/Instructions and Parts Information sections. Please discard PI0461A.[HR][/HR][h=4]Condition/Concern[/h]Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:
A/C inoperative

A/C will not blow cold air

A/C blows hot

Leaking refrigerant
The condenser may become inoperative due to frequent/heavy stone/foreign material impact.
[h=4]Recommendation/Instructions[/h]After replacing the condenser, install the condenser screen that snaps over the front of the existing condenser. This will prevent foreign material that comes through the front grille making contact with the new condenser causing damage.

See less See more
#2 ·
To the Forum operators - can we get a new area specifically for TSBs and Recalls?

#3 ·
I asked my dealer if I could get the shield installed proactively and was told it would cost me $125. Too bad GM won't do it for free since it seems like a known design issue.

And if anybody knows the part number of the shield it would be helpful. Maybe I could just put it on myself.

#11 ·
Here's my take on GMs position to these "PI" issues-not sure what the PI stands for but think it's private information-probably somewhere in the fine print lawyer legalese it says "we reserve the right to improve the product" which equates to we will not improve prior built product IMO
Now it is nice the engineers come up with a fix but not so nice that GM refuses to apply it to previous built product
My experience involving the known problem of the trunk opening un-expectedly which involves replacing a relay, and a water leak that involves adding a deflector and involving GM customer care still boils down to the simple fact GM will not fix anything unless it can be diagnosed to actually have the problem, and in any of these cases--hole in AC condenser, water on floor, or stuff taken from your open trunk--your SOL, now tell me how you diagnose an improvement part bad ???
my return call from the dealer (after 1 week of waiting) pretty much summed up what I'm saying--in other words they will do nothing to improve past produced cars unless you happen to be a relative of the pope or president !! after dancing around with my issues I've decided to make and add my own water deflector and modify my keys to stop the trunk openings, going to take a lot less time that 2 trips to the dealer (total 160mi driving time) to only be told we can not fix it unless problem is diagnosed, kinda like fighting a traffic ticket that you know you were not in the wrong but will take a day of lost work to fight in court--I give GM wins--I'll fix it myself !!

#7 ·
File a NHTSA complaint. Include the PI number in the complaint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.