Burning Plastic Smell - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Burning Plastic Smell

Administrator

It just seems to take longer with the Cruze.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

its not a plastic smell but maybe its that hot brake smell?? my 1st cruze had it really bad for the first 500mi but on the 2nd one i never smelled the brakes or this smell you guys speak of...

I have the same with my 2012 Cruze that I just got and this smell is normal for a new car. I park mine inside the Garage and it was a strong smell that has now become less in another few more weeks it will be fine once more. I had the same smell from my new camaro yrs ago and it also went away. I have no liquids under my shield all is dry. The only other smell that would cause this is if your cars exhaust picked up a plastic bag while driving and it was melted to the system the smell is almost the same.

Handbrake Released Dreamsofyou365's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies! You guys helped ease my mind...
    2012 Chevy Cruze 1LT... Rs ackage, All Star package, and Connectivity package. Black granite metallic with black interior. Debagded the back looks sleek and nice. Future changes: Tinted windows, lowering it, HID lights.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsofyou365 View Post
    I picked up my cruze last Tuesday (brand new 2012) Every so often I smell plastic like its burning.. Has anyone had this issue is it cause its brand new? Sorry I dont know too much stuff about cars and this is my first brand new car. I did have the recall fixed and wondering if its something they did when they fixed that. Any ideas??

Dreamsofyou365,
    I would like to congratulate you on your new Cruze! It is a great vehicle! It sounds like you have received some good advice here. If you feel it is more of an issue that this I would suggest that you take your vehicle into your dealer and have them look into it for you. If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Driver's Ed
    Our cruze now has about 26k miles. Burning smell is just as bad as when the car was new, if not worse. We've had the heater core replaced and have had it in for this 5 or so times. I finally dropped it off at the dealership today and told them to give it back to GM so GM engineers can figure the problem out back at their shops. I just hate that we're paying payments and insurance for a useless car. If GM engineers don't pick it up or resolve the issue I'm going to be attaching a sign to the top of the car telling downtown Minneapolis and the metro area just what kind of car it is and offering free smells to anyone who asks.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Our cruze now has about 26k miles. Burning smell is just as bad as when the car was new, if not worse. We've had the heater core replaced and have had it in for this 5 or so times. I finally dropped it off at the dealership today and told them to give it back to GM so GM engineers can figure the problem out back at their shops. I just hate that we're paying payments and insurance for a useless car. If GM engineers don't pick it up or resolve the issue I'm going to be attaching a sign to the top of the car telling downtown Minneapolis and the metro area just what kind of car it is and offering free smells to anyone who asks.

Gary,
    I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Cruze. I understand your concerns and frustrations with this. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Driver's Ed

cure for burning plastic smell

I have 32000 km on my 2011 Cruze LT and it has often had the hot/burning plastic smell since it was new.
    It seemed like it was the heater that was running way too hot.
    Anyway I finally had the GM dealer check it out today and it looks like the problem was a bad HVAC program and it has now been cured.

(translated from French)... "verify code b0233 b0408 bad program....made program from hvac code 99aa0 code 6581
    verify find code verify find pi0433b for a program for this problem"

I think "pi" may mean a service bulletin.
    Hope this helps someone.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123