Burning Plastic Smell
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Burning Plastic Smell

Handbrake Released Dreamsofyou365's Avatar

Burning Plastic Smell

I picked up my cruze last Tuesday (brand new 2012) Every so often I smell plastic like its burning.. Has anyone had this issue is it cause its brand new? Sorry I dont know too much stuff about cars and this is my first brand new car. I did have the recall fixed and wondering if its something they did when they fixed that. Any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsofyou365 View Post
    I picked up my cruze last Tuesday (brand new 2012) Every so often I smell plastic like its burning.. Has anyone had this issue is it cause its brand new? Sorry I dont know too much stuff about cars and this is my first brand new car. I did have the recall fixed and wondering if its something they did when they fixed that. Any ideas??
    Have the dealer check the exhuast system for any stickers.
    Starks8 likes this.

Handbrake Released dannylightning's Avatar
    never had that, are you sure its just not something out side of the car you were smelling, where you driving in the same area when you smelled it,

i would get a flash light and open the hood and take a good look in there, and than i would jack the car up and get under it and see if i notice any melted or burnt plastic
    2012 cruze eco 1.4 Turbo, manual transmission, red, no modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtec View Post
    Have the dealer check the exhuast system for any stickers.
    Would that cause it to smell in the front tho? I have noticed it when I open my door and it hits me very strong at times other times nothing.
    2012 Chevy Cruze 1LT... Rs ackage, All Star package, and Connectivity package. Black granite metallic with black interior. Debagded the back looks sleek and nice. Future changes: Tinted windows, lowering it, HID lights.

Quote Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
    never had that, are you sure its just not something out side of the car you were smelling, where you driving in the same area when you smelled it,

i would get a flash light and open the hood and take a good look in there, and than i would jack the car up and get under it and see if i notice any melted or burnt plastic
    It was def the car and it was on the outside. Its never in the same location lol not even the same town. I will have to have my bf take a look and if he cant find anything I guess bring it to the dealer =(
    2012 Chevy Cruze 1LT... Rs ackage, All Star package, and Connectivity package. Black granite metallic with black interior. Debagded the back looks sleek and nice. Future changes: Tinted windows, lowering it, HID lights.

Resident Tater Salad

That's normal - even though it smells like crap. It's from stickers on the exhaust. Give it a few thousand miles and it'll go away.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

You sure it's not the new car smell lol.
    Having your bf get under the car to check it out is not a bad idea. Wouldn't get too worried unless you start seeing puffs of smoke.
    Last edited by Mick; 07-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    You sure it's not the new car smell lol.
    Having your bf get under the car to check it out is not a bad idea. Wouldn't get too worried unless you start seeing puffs of smoke.
    HAHAHA It is not the new car smell I swear. Im not that stupid =/ I think jk jk but seriously it smells like crap. Im gonna have my bf look to see if there are stickers.

Yes, I know the smell you're referring to. It took a few thousand miles for it to go away, for me. It just factory oils burning off. Do you park your car in the garage? That's when I'd notice the most and strongest, the smell was so strong.

Good Luck!

Off-Road Champion
    I'd say it's the manufacturing oils burning off of the exhaust system piping. Have the BF look up under the shroud under the engine for spilled fluids though.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    14,900 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    23 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    45,316 September '14 YTD

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast