Cleaning Fuel Injectors and Throttle Bodies
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cleaning Fuel Injectors and Throttle Bodies

Driver's Ed

Cleaning Fuel Injectors and Throttle Bodies

Went in for my oil change yesterday - service guy told me that they recommended cleaning my fuel injectors EVERY 15k miles and Throttle bodies at 30k miles, because the Cruze does not have Fuel Filter. Each service runs $129, and are not listed on the Cruze Service/Maintenance Schedule. Any insight on this? never heard this before and was quite surprised. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

First, run, run away fast to a different dealership for service. This one's trying to make extra money off you.

I would go with the service guide that came with the car. Your car will tell you when it needs a fuel system cleaning by running lousy after a tank of bad gas or throwing a check engine light with a code that tells you it needs a cleaning. If you really want to do this, other GMs I have had had only needed this every 60K.
    spacedout, Patman, Starks8 and 1 others like this.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Smells like bs to me.
    Starks8 likes this.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

Now this is interesting we have no Fuel Filter connected to the gas line. If so this has to be the first car I have ever owned from GM without one.
    ProjektCruze likes this.

Handbrake Released
    the fuel filter is part of the whole fuel pump assembly on this, and many other cars these days. It's supposed to be basically a permanent fuel filter. You replace it when the fuel pump goes out. As far as injector cleaning at a dealership goes, all they do is run some fuel injector cleaner through them, which does a lot of nothing. The best way to do it is with the proper tool-FIT470B FUEL INJECTOR CANISTER CLEANER | Matco Tools
    Yes it's expensive, but if you can find a local shop that does it using something similar to this, do it. The way dealerships do it does virtually nothing. and as far as throttle body service goes, all they do is remove the throttle body, spray it with with throttle plate cleaner, dry it off, and put it back, something you could do yourself in less than an hour depending on your general mechanical knowledge. So I tend to steer clear of stealerships. I'm actually planning on getting one of those fuel injector cleaners from snap on while im still in school and have a discount. So if there's anyone in the Houston area who needs a legit EFI flush, I might be able to help .
    blk88verde and Bohdan like this.
    2011 Chevy Cruze LS with connectivity package in Black Granite Metallic.
    -Blacked out bowties
    -20% tint all around
    -LED dome lights
    -Blacked out Chrome and center console trim.

BOOOOST!
    Complete load of BS.

Throttle bodies rarely need cleaning, and it's something you could do yourself in very little time if need be.

As for injectors, our fuels are full of detergents that help keep things clean. Occasionally dump a can of seafoam/injector cleaner in the fuel if you're really concerned about it (which you shouldn't be).
    sciphi and jdubb11 like this.
    '12 Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi

'05 GSXR750 - Big ole turbo.

Like everybody else said. Run far away from that service center. I would not worry about it if you are using good fuel, especially Top Tier. Chevron with Techron, Shell, Texaco with Techron, etc., fuels probably do all the cleaning that is needed. If been using questionable gas, dump some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel cleaner in it. That is what GM's fuel cleaner is.

Some threads talking about fuel and cleaners:
    http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-che...-tier-gas.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-en...uld-i-run.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-che...ed-my-car.html
    Last edited by zr1000a1; 07-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Driver's Ed
    Thank you all for the info - much appreciated!
    I will stick to the Gm Schedule

I understand cleaning the injectors every so many miles but ive gone over 100k miles without touching throttle bodies and they were still pretty clean. And i was always taught that fuel system cleanings are only necessary after replacing the filter. Because as it gets old it doesn't do its job as well. But if your filter still has a lot of life left then its unnecessary

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    2012 Cruze LS <Totaled
    2012 Cruze Eco < Totaled

I'm here for moral support

The Gearheads Guild

What zr1000a1 (and everyone else) said. Run screaming from this service center, and throw some Techron cleaner in every once in a while if it makes you feel better.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast