Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Erradic AC blower speeds

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Wedge 
#1 · (Edited)
Erratic AC blower speeds

Hey all, I'm new on here... So I've seen others post issues about the blower speeds, but not much with my issue. Just curious if anyone else is having this problem: '12 LS 1.8 MT - 15,000mi When I shift or put it in neutral, the blower used to drop a bit, then recover, which is understandable. Recently, however, when I set temp to the coldest setting, it seems to automatically revert to recirc. mode, and subsequently causes the blower speed to drop substantially. This occurs at any fan speed setting. If I turn the temp up one notch, the "auto" recirc disconnects and speed increases (if I set recirc., speed remains low at any temp setting). However, air temp is severely impacted by this. I will also occasionally get boosts of fan speed when upshifting, but will shortly return to derated mode. It seems like my engine doesn't want to share any power with the AC... Anyone else getting similar problems, or know of the cause? The dealer said they need to get another MT Cruze in to compare it, and they're not very common (ehhhhh...) but he'll look into it...... Got it, thanks... see ya soon :/ Additionally, my fan settings aren't that bad (perhaps it's all relative). My wife has an '11 Soob Outback that also has 4 fan speed settings. The jump from 3 to 4 on that this is by far much worse than my little Cruze.

#2 ·
The switch to recirculation mode is normal when you move the temp dial to its lowest setting. The Cruze alternator has a computer controlled strategy to avoid charging the battery when the motor is under load. It tries to do all the charging when you're coasting and this process means the system voltage goes up when you take your foot off the gas. The fan speed changes slightly when the voltage changes and you can hear fan change pitch. As far as I know it's totally normal for a Cruze. If you set the DIC to display the voltage you can watch the change on the digital readout and hear it at the same time in the fan speed.

#3 ·
My issue is that is occurs about 98-99% of the time... with only slight returns to high fan output. And it is relatively new. I got the car last summer in FL and this wasn't an issue then. This will occur at all RPMs, unless on occasion, as stated, I upshift. Even then, it's not every time.

#4 ·
Check your cabin filter behind the glovebox. After 1 year and 15k miles in Florida, that thing is probably ready for the garbage can. A new one is about $17+shipping on Amazon. It takes 5 minutes to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.