Coolant Reservoir Level-won't stay topped off - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Coolant Reservoir Level-won't stay topped off

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    This isn't a Cruze thing. This is an "every turbo car" thing.

The Cruze isn't as prone to eating bearings and coking oil and stuff as some of the older, non-water-cooled turbos, but the turbos are still really hot, and more so when they've been run hard without cooling them down. Idling and letting the turbos cool is a big thing with diesels, because the turbos are largely not water cooled.

Mike
    Since the owner's manual doesn't address idling the car for a couple of minutes after a long run, I wonder if the noise some members, including me, have reported is the car cooling off the engine and turbo. My Montana had a cool down feature for it's engine as well, so I know GM does this for some vehicles.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    This isn't a Cruze thing. This is an "every turbo car" thing.

The Cruze isn't as prone to eating bearings and coking oil and stuff as some of the older, non-water-cooled turbos, but the turbos are still really hot, and more so when they've been run hard without cooling them down. Idling and letting the turbos cool is a big thing with diesels, because the turbos are largely not water cooled.

Mike
    That may be, but I have NEVER owned a turbo before and never knew this and did NOT see anything about this in the owner's manual. If it is so important, WHY isn't it in the manual?

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdriver View Post
    That may be, but I have NEVER owned a turbo before and never knew this and did NOT see anything about this in the owner's manual. If it is so important, WHY isn't it in the manual?

Because it is not important on the cruze. If the turbo is to hot at shutdown it sounds like they have a circulating pump to cool to a safe level. I have yet to hear this pump as other have, but I tend to be easy on the car the last 2-10miles of a drive. At most I idle for 10 seconds before I shut the car off.

Since turbos were first put on tractors it was known you needed to idle after working the engine/turbo to cool things down. I remember being on an uncles farm as a kid, they would leave the tractors idling while they ate lunch(20-30minutes) just to cool the super heated turbos.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.69 average price over 59K miles

1st Gear
    Honestly, I don't think it would make that much of a difference. It has been printed in many owner's manuals over the years and the majority of people ignore it. Also, since these aren't a SS model with high HP, they may have deemed it unnecessary.

Administrator

Add my ECO to the list of coolant leaks. I had the flourescent dye put in on my way home from work. I've dropped about an inch of coolant in the last 4,500 miles. I'll keep an eye on my level and when the car gets an oil change at 18K we'll put the black light to the underside of the engine.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin

I bought some anti freeze and topped it off on 0ct 23rd following the instructions in the manual. So far the level has stayed the same and I smelled antifreeze by the over flow tank a few times but the level hasn't dropped and I have no puddles under the car. I did notice the cap came off really easy and when I was putting it back it seemed like I had had to turn a lot more times than when I did taking it off. When I put the cap on I stopped when it started to get hard and could turn anymore then I turned the car off and was cleaning up and I tightened the cap one more time and it turned really easily like 3/4 a turn and now it seems like it is on better than it was before I added anti-freeze. I don't know maybe I am imagining it but hopefully my cap just wasn't on properely before.

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Since the owner's manual doesn't address idling the car for a couple of minutes after a long run, I wonder if the noise some members, including me, have reported is the car cooling off the engine and turbo. My Montana had a cool down feature for it's engine as well, so I know GM does this for some vehicles.
    I've never idled my turbo cars before shut down unless I've been driving them really, really hard. Coking doesn't happen with water-cooled turbos (or with a good synthetic oil used); it was moreso something that happened with the old oil-cooled Garrett turbos on old Volvos/Saabs at the onset of the turbocharging era. Both turbo technology and oil technology have come a long way since then and made this an unnecessary practice.
    Merc6 likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Driver's Ed
    Sorry to bump this if there is another thread about this that is more current.

2012 Cruze Eco MT *33,308 @ Overheat*
    I have been going thru **** for the last week and it all climaxed today.
    I was preparing for a road trip between Buffalo, NY and Provo, UT starting the weekend before last. *I'm spark noting the rest because i'm so frustrated at the moment, even though this may look too long... the bullshit i've had to deal with is ridiculous*
    So i popped the hood to see if i had enough wiper fluid and to see if everything was alright and i noticed my coolant was down to exactly where the pic is from the first page. I called my local Chevy mechanic who is a legit guy and he told me to just add some dexcool and water like the manual says. I drove from Buffalo to eastern Ohio the next day and freaked out cause i completely forgot to grab some dexcool because he checked the car @ my house. Walked into a dealership in OH and they gave me a jug and told me to go for it. Popped the hood and although the engine was warm but not scalding from the drive cause it cooled for a bit i decided to open it up. When i did so it depressurized and filled the tank right back up to the line. Problem solved? ......guess not
    -Drove all the way to Utah, no problems. Came out of the hotel in the morning, popped the hood and it was down again.
    -I decided that i would need an oil change around half way home so i decided to get it done in Provo.
    -Took it to Larry H. Miller Chevrolet (insert rage from this point forward)
    -Service man at the desk is a complete tool
    -I comment that it freaked me out that regular gas is 85 and he responds with "I know, it's great isn't it" and i say no it's not cause you're not supposed to run less than 87 in my car..... he tells me i'm wrong..... i point out it's a Cruze... he THEN agrees
    -Tell him my coolant was low right after he checks my mileage and he says it's because i need my "30,000mile Service"
    -Insists i have this service done even though half the things on it have been done in the last 2 months (tire rotation, alignment and too much else to list) for $489!!!!!!!!!!
    -I check CruzeTalk and find out this is bullshit, i call my dealership who tells me it's bullshit, i then check the owners manual again... no extra service until 45k
    -I say absolutely not and he badgers me about it, quits and does only the oil change
    -I notice it's only $40 and ask if it shouldn't be more because of the synthetic oil and he says it's only semi-synthetic and that's why it's only $40
    -Two hours later i realize my car is outside the waiting trailer and no one said a single word to me while i was the only person in the waiting room
    -Service cashier gives me two free car washes, never see service man again
    -Drive back to the hotel, no probs
    -That night i drive from Provo to Orem (like 15 mins), pop the hood and my coolant tank is full a bit above the line and it's literally boiling.... steam coming off it..... never seen or heard this happen but the engine temp maxes out @ 217-219 for the rest of my adventures until overheat.
    -Today, three days later i head out from Provo to Canon City, CO
    -Make it thru numerous deserts and stop twice with the car off for at least a half hour at a time
    -Right in front of Vail, CO my heat guages go crazy
    -Car goes into engine idle mode, make it about an 8th of a mile farther with reduced power to a safe spot
    -Complete engine power failure after stopped for no more than 30 seconds
    -Short line of fluid about 20 feet out back of car
    -Change Oil soon light and numerous other come on after car is turned off
    -Fan runs for a few minutes after car is off
    On* tows me to Silverthorne, CO to Hudson Chevy

I'm a 21 y/o Army Officer with a decent understanding of cars and machinery but obviously not enough.
    Sorry for the typos and lack of proper grammar from my rage.
    Worst Memorial Day ever.
    What in the **** just happened?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SwaggerWagon View Post
    Sorry to bump this if there is another thread about this that is more current.

2012 Cruze Eco MT *33,308 @ Overheat*
    I have been going thru **** for the last week and it all climaxed today.
    I was preparing for a road trip between Buffalo, NY and Provo, UT starting the weekend before last. *I'm spark noting the rest because i'm so frustrated at the moment, even though this may look too long... the bullshit i've had to deal with is ridiculous*
    So i popped the hood to see if i had enough wiper fluid and to see if everything was alright and i noticed my coolant was down to exactly where the pic is from the first page. I called my local Chevy mechanic who is a legit guy and he told me to just add some dexcool and water like the manual says. I drove from Buffalo to eastern Ohio the next day and freaked out cause i completely forgot to grab some dexcool because he checked the car @ my house. Walked into a dealership in OH and they gave me a jug and told me to go for it. Popped the hood and although the engine was warm but not scalding from the drive cause it cooled for a bit i decided to open it up. When i did so it depressurized and filled the tank right back up to the line. Problem solved? ......guess not
    -Drove all the way to Utah, no problems. Came out of the hotel in the morning, popped the hood and it was down again.
    When I got here my question was "how far down?" If only a little it's most likely from overpressure in the system that resulted from climbing from 800 ft above sea level to over 8,000 ft, which you had to do to get to Provo from Buffalo, Ohio. However, I suspect a hose or clamp else from later in your post.

-I decided that i would need an oil change around half way home so i decided to get it done in Provo.
    -Took it to Larry H. Miller Chevrolet (insert rage from this point forward)
    -Service man at the desk is a complete tool
    -I comment that it freaked me out that regular gas is 85 and he responds with "I know, it's great isn't it" and i say no it's not cause you're not supposed to run less than 87 in my car..... he tells me i'm wrong..... i point out it's a Cruze... he THEN agrees
    85 Octane was the normal regular for areas above 4,500 ft in the US, and still works in most cars in the US above 4,500 ft. It doesn't work in the Cruze, including the LS with it's NA engine.

-Tell him my coolant was low right after he checks my mileage and he says it's because i need my "30,000mile Service"
    -Insists i have this service done even though half the things on it have been done in the last 2 months (tire rotation, alignment and too much else to list) for $489!!!!!!!!!!
    -I check CruzeTalk and find out this is bullshit, i call my dealership who tells me it's bullshit, i then check the owners manual again... no extra service until 45k
    -I say absolutely not and he badgers me about it, quits and does only the oil change
    Good catch and good for you standing your ground. This guy is an idiot. When I purchased my ECO from Ed Bozarth Park Meadows I specifically asked about this because I do know that GM would sometimes change the service requirements at altitude. This is not the case for the Cruze.

-I notice it's only $40 and ask if it shouldn't be more because of the synthetic oil and he says it's only semi-synthetic and that's why it's only $40
    That's all I pay for an oil change at Ed Bozarth when I use the AC Delco Dexos 1 oil.

-Two hours later i realize my car is outside the waiting trailer and no one said a single word to me while i was the only person in the waiting room
    -Service cashier gives me two free car washes, never see service man again
    You finally found someone, in this case the cashier, who cares about the customer. He/She won't last long there if the first guy you talked to is typical.

-Drive back to the hotel, no probs
    -That night i drive from Provo to Orem (like 15 mins), pop the hood and my coolant tank is full a bit above the line and it's literally boiling.... steam coming off it..... never seen or heard this happen but the engine temp maxes out @ 217-219 for the rest of my adventures until overheat.
    -Today, three days later i head out from Provo to Canon City, CO
    -Make it thru numerous deserts and stop twice with the car off for at least a half hour at a time
    -Right in front of Vail, CO my heat guages go crazy
    -Car goes into engine idle mode, make it about an 8th of a mile farther with reduced power to a safe spot
    -Complete engine power failure after stopped for no more than 30 seconds
    -Short line of fluid about 20 feet out back of car
    -Change Oil soon light and numerous other come on after car is turned off
    -Fan runs for a few minutes after car is off
    This section is why I changed my mind about the reason for your coolant drop. Your car had a pressure related leak that finally got to a point that it failed completely. This kept the coolant system from properly pressurizing, which is why it was boiling. Make sure your oil is changed as part of the coolant system is repair. It should be covered as part of the repair since you just had it done (and should be in GM's tracking system for your car since it was done at a dealership. The change engine oil light came on because the OLM can't tell if the oil was damaged by the overheat in the engine.

On* tows me to Silverthorne, CO to Hudson Chevy

I'm a 21 y/o Army Officer with a decent understanding of cars and machinery but obviously not enough.
    Sorry for the typos and lack of proper grammar from my rage.
    Worst Memorial Day ever.
    What in the **** just happened?
    Hopefully Hudson Chevy takes care of you. When you get your car back, please double check the coolant level to ensure it's at the top of the arrow on the tank. Anything above that is a guaranteed way to get coolant odors in the engine bay and outside the car (and possible inside the cabin). Anything below that and we don't know what the long term impact to the engine will be because the coolant will boil at a lower level.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Has this issue been resolved? Please keep me posted and let me know if there is anything that I can do to assist you. Private message is the quickest way to contact me. Thank you for serving!

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.