Not-so-good Mileage.Please Help - Page 5
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Not-so-good Mileage.Please Help

  1. #41
    Learning about my Cruze
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    77
    It sounds like you aren't going into Lockup , Does your RPMs Kinda Match with the Speed .
    When You get to hyway speed there should be an RPM drop after the Last gear shifted .
    I have a 2011 W/ the 1.4 turbo and I wasn't getting as good miliage until I gapped the Plugs to .035
    You have a different engine check the gap and open it to .030 and see what happens there .
    You should get one of you Techs to scan the vehicle and see what its doing with Data Stream.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Retired Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachFools View Post
    i stay at a pretty constant 65-80mph depending on of im running late and what not lol.Currently at 2700 total miles now.
    That's the reason for your poor fuel economy right there. If you're slowing down and speeding up between 65 and 80 mph a bunch of times on your commute your fuel economy will stink. The car uses a lot of gas cruising at 80 mph, and even more accelerating to reach 80 mph. Especially a 1.8 automatic that will drop gears like a stripper drops clothes.

    Leave 5 minutes earlier and do your darndest to keep 65 mph. Your fuel mileage will go up.

    I spent 40 miles at 55-60 mph, and got 51 mpg this morning. That included a few large hills. My average speed was ~44 mph thanks to the stops/starts at the beginning and end of the trip, and slowing down for some sheriffs rushing to calls.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

    Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

  4. #43
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northcentral PA
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    That's the reason for your poor fuel economy right there. If you're slowing down and speeding up between 65 and 80 mph a bunch of times on your commute your fuel economy will stink. The car uses a lot of gas cruising at 80 mph, and even more accelerating to reach 80 mph. Especially a 1.8 automatic that will drop gears like a stripper drops clothes.

    Leave 5 minutes earlier and do your darndest to keep 65 mph. Your fuel mileage will go up.

    I spent 40 miles at 55-60 mph, and got 51 mpg this morning. That included a few large hills. My average speed was ~44 mph thanks to the stops/starts at the beginning and end of the trip, and slowing down for some sheriffs rushing to calls.
    I believe you hit the nail on the head, Sciphi. I definitely see a large drop in mpg with my auto when exceeding 65 mph for a long period of time on my 30 mile commute to work. Keep it at 60 to 65 and use gradual accelerations when passing, for instance, and if all else is good with tranny/engine you should see an improvement.
    2011 Crystal Red Tintcoat LTZ/RS 6A
    - Resonator delete
    - .030 Plug gap
    2006 Trailblazer EXT LT

  5. #44
    Off-Road Champion Aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Posts
    2,544
    PS:When I accelerate,im a snail and keep my foot on the pedal pretty stable,yet another reason Im stumped,I dont speed or anything,sometimes I even try going 60 on the hwy,but its pointless seeing as though the moment I let off I decelerate like crazy!
    Thanks in advance!

    This paragraph makes me think that maybe his car is downshifting when he backs off, maybe if he puts it in M6 on the freeway he may at least discover what the cause is if his economy improves and he will have something to go to his dealer with?

  6. #45
    Learning about my Cruze ZachFools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sherman tx
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    That's the reason for your poor fuel economy right there. If you're slowing down and speeding up between 65 and 80 mph a bunch of times on your commute your fuel economy will stink. The car uses a lot of gas cruising at 80 mph, and even more accelerating to reach 80 mph. Especially a 1.8 automatic that will drop gears like a stripper drops clothes.

    Leave 5 minutes earlier and do your darndest to keep 65 mph. Your fuel mileage will go up.

    I spent 40 miles at 55-60 mph, and got 51 mpg this morning. That included a few large hills. My average speed was ~44 mph thanks to the stops/starts at the beginning and end of the trip, and slowing down for some sheriffs rushing to calls.
    Im not saying that i fluxuiate between 65-80mph on the 40 miles if thats what you think.i meant that some days ill stay steady at 70mph,some days at 65mph etc.on days i do stay steady at 65mph,this HIGHEST i averaged was a measly 25.6mpg.I do get what your saying though
    "Facing a greater challenge, only will make the accomplishment ever better."
    ~2013 Chevrolet Cruze Lt 1.4 turbo w/ 6-spd manual shift~

  7. #46
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    14
    I get a consistant 40+ mpg avg of all driving in my 2012 Cruze 1LT, 1.4 turbo, 6spd auto. I drive the speed limit and accelerate normally.
    12 Cruze 1LT RS
    06 Malibu SS
    05 Victory Hammer 11.84@111 1/4 mi ET
    02 Kawasaki ZRX1200R 10.80@123 1/4 mi ET
    95 F250
    79 Chevy K10

  8. #47
    Learning about my Cruze ZachFools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sherman tx
    Posts
    54
    SOLVED....Sorta..:

    Ok,I drove another cruze to see what the difference was between that one and my LS.
    HERES THE DIFFERENCE:

    Bold parts mean important note.


    2013 Cruze LS with a 1.8 6T30 Transmission:
    Had only 807 total miles.
    When I was on the highway,the gears shifted promptly at 2000 rpms. Once at 70 Mph, RPMs stayed steady at 2000 rpms in 6th gear.
    Averaged 37mpg.

    My 2012 Cruze LS with a 1.8 6T40 Transmission:
    When I was on the highway,same route and all as I was with the 13,the gears shifted a little over 3000 rpms. Once at 70mph, RPMs stayed at a LITTLE OVER 3000 rpms in 6th gear.
    Averaged 24mpg.

    See the difference??I told my service manager about it the said he would look at it tomorrow morning.Although he doesnt know the difference between the two transmissions,surely they cant be THAT different right??This has gotta be why the MPGS are so bad on my car.Its obvious now it seems like.But thats what I came up with,what do you guys think??
    "Facing a greater challenge, only will make the accomplishment ever better."
    ~2013 Chevrolet Cruze Lt 1.4 turbo w/ 6-spd manual shift~

  9. #48
    Administrator

    obermd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    13,704
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachFools View Post
    SOLVED....Sorta..:

    Ok,I drove another cruze to see what the difference was between that one and my LS.
    HERES THE DIFFERENCE:

    Bold parts mean important note.


    2013 Cruze LS with a 1.8 6T30 Transmission:
    Had only 807 total miles.
    When I was on the highway,the gears shifted promptly at 2000 rpms. Once at 70 Mph, RPMs stayed steady at 2000 rpms in 6th gear.
    Averaged 37mpg.

    My 2012 Cruze LS with a 1.8 6T40 Transmission:
    When I was on the highway,same route and all as I was with the 13,the gears shifted a little over 3000 rpms. Once at 70mph, RPMs stayed at a LITTLE OVER 3000 rpms in 6th gear.
    Averaged 24mpg.

    See the difference??I told my service manager about it the said he would look at it tomorrow morning.Although he doesnt know the difference between the two transmissions,surely they cant be THAT different right??This has gotta be why the MPGS are so bad on my car.Its obvious now it seems like.But thats what I came up with,what do you guys think??
    Although I think you're on the right track something's still not right here. My 2012 ECO MT is at 2000 RPM at 65 MPH in 6th gear. I don't see how the 2013 LS is at 2000 RPM at the same speed. I do think your car's 3000+ RPM is an indication that your car is NOT shifting to 6th gear, however.

    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

  10. #49
    Resident Tater Salad

    jblackburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    8,193
    They changed the final drive ratios in the automatics for 2013. Lower RPMs on the highway, worse acceleration.

    3000 at 80 is normal for a LS/LT 6MT or automatic.


    Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M


  11. #50
    Learning about my Cruze ZachFools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sherman tx
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Although I think you're on the right track something's still not right here. My 2012 ECO MT is at 2000 RPM at 65 MPH in 6th gear. I don't see how the 2013 LS is at 2000 RPM at the same speed. I do think your car's 3000+ RPM is an indication that your car is NOT shifting to 6th gear, however.
    Well,keep in mind,only the LS models have the 1.8,others have the 1.4 as well as different transmissions,like I said above,the ls I have is a 6t40 which ALL 2012 LS's have,while the 2013,has a 6t30 Tranny,and will have either one of those in the 13 LS.

    But also when I put it into manual,it displays that it shifts into 6th when I upshift,and thats when it says 3000rpms@70mph.

    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    They changed the final drive ratios in the automatics for 2013. Lower RPMs on the highway, worse acceleration.

    3000 at 80 is normal for a LS/LT 6MT or automatic.
    Thats understandable,but i'm at 3000@70mph.Thats not right,5 speeds usually shift at 3000@70mph,not 6 speeds.Hopefully they can agree with my hypothesis,it makes perfect sense,and I wouldnt have a single clue why else it could be.Guess I'll find out in the morning.
    "Facing a greater challenge, only will make the accomplishment ever better."
    ~2013 Chevrolet Cruze Lt 1.4 turbo w/ 6-spd manual shift~

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The cruze is no good
    By Keylo in forum New to CruzeTalk? Start here!
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 09:07 PM
  2. good numbers
    By neirfin in forum Fuel Economy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
  3. So far so good
    By Shonn84 in forum New to CruzeTalk? Start here!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  4. Not as good MPG as I want....
    By STUDLEE in forum Fuel Economy
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 04:38 PM
  5. Looking for a Good LTZ rim
    By DLuck in forum Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2