Why does my mileage suddenly suck
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why does my mileage suddenly suck

Why does my mileage suddenly suck

Removed my injen for the winter and replaced the stock air box minus the resonator and yes the weather is colder but not by much. Those are the only changes I can think of. My driving hasn't changed. I used to get 800 to 850 km to a tank easily and now I'm LUCKY if I break 700. My air intake cannot be helping that much. Can it?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Cruze Eco
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Injen CAI Intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze speedy862004's Avatar
    check the forum for gapping issues. I have seen that a lot of cars GM has put out are coming of the lot with the wrong plug gap.

Also this car has a lot to do with the computers. I switched from 87 to 93 gas and it died when I went to take off. It was in the computer settings cause it was used to 87. It learned the difference and adjusted when I started it. So maybe your car has learned how to work with the Injen. Maybe you need to unplug the battery?

Could be you forgot to plug up the tube on the bottom of the airfilter housing.

Beyond that, I'm mostly a parts changer. Maybe xtremerevolution or obermd will post on this with better ideas. (there is another guy on this forum that's been helpful for me too, but I can't remember his name)

Did you disconnect your battery in the process of changing it? I wonder if your MAF got accustomed to your Injen's airflow and now it senses less with the stock airbox setup? I'd pull the battery cable for 15 minutes to see if it'll reset things, and go from there.
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo badges, Husky Liners, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon to be 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.
    Pure Michigan Cruzers

Resident Tater Salad
    Could be you forgot to plug up the tube on the bottom of the airfilter housing.
    Double-check this. Leaving that PCV hose loose will cause a vacuum leak that will suck away gas mileage.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Touring Champion
    Its just the winter temps & longer warm up period, the intake change made no difference. 150km is 93miles, divide that by 12gallons is 7.75 miles less per gallon. With extra idling & longer warmup I have lost 6mpg from my usual weekly average, so your numbers are about the same as me.

All cars loose MPG in the winter, some of my previous cars were much worse than the Cruze.
    ErikBEggs likes this.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

^^^^ Everything said here. Mileage just sucks in the winter. We have the same climate buddy, my MPGs went down about 3 MPG, or ~10% from late summer / fall to winter.

Administrator

Although fuel economy goes down in the winter I would definitely double check the work just done to ensure everything is secured and tight.

Since when did I become a fuel economy expert? If so it's because of all the smart people on this forum.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Ohh, btw.. 700 kms is 435 miles... I bet 99% of North Americans would be happy to get that in a tank :P

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
    Ohh, btw.. 700 kms is 435 miles... I bet 99% of North Americans would be happy to get that in a tank :P
    I did that once, but I was on fumes. Then again, I never do straight highway driving.

You know, long before I even kept track of gas mileage on my cars, my 5-speed Honda Accord would do 450 miles on 11.5 gallons. Driving to Florida @ 75-80 mph. Cars these days...
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Haha I know it's not bad mileage I'm just saying. What is this hole to plug in the air box? And yes the battery was disconnected for a good while when I did the air box cause I has the whole front of the car off doing other stuff too

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Cruze Eco
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Injen CAI Intake

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast