Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Fuel economy observations when you aren't trying for good economy.

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  17Hatch6MT 
#1 ·
This past long weekend, I drove from my hometown of Maple Ridge, BC to Vernon, BC and logged 347 Km on the trip odometer. I took the coquihalla highway and the okanagan connector with my cruise control set to 125 Km/hr (limit is 120Km/hr). I filled up with 24 litres of gas on the same block I live on. I got 6.9 L/100Km or 34 US MPG. Not bad for a car that hauls up long uphill grades at 125 in 6th gear without needing to downshift :) This is pretty great news if you just drive without any concern for fuel economy. Figured I'd post this instead of my once in a lifetime best economy ever story. Chances are a 2012 or newer Cruze auto with the taller 6th gear may even get lower L/100Km than 6.9.

#2 ·
For a 2011 LT A/T that's actually pretty good fuel economy at 77 MPH. Your car is rated for 36 MPG and we know that assumes 60 MPH on the highway. Well done.

#3 ·
Good mileage for the speed traveled and those hills are pretty long and steep.

I was going to ask when the heck the limit went to 120km/h? I see it went up this summer, I was just out there in the spring and it was still 110km/h. Hope that trend continues across Canada.

#4 ·
Yes, the speeds are up to 120 now, which is great because those highways are very suited to those speeds. With this warm and nearly snow-less winter, traveling is quite safe at the posted speed limit. I've found my car gets similar fuel economy no matter where i go, always around 7 to 8 L/100Km. No long flat highways around here! My tires are inflated to 40 psi, that may have helped. There were no stops along the way either, got 2 little ones in there so the less travel time the better!

Just information, my window sticker claims 8.5 L/100Km city and 5.5 L/100Km highway. The city number is a little worse than reality, but the highway number is ridiculous haha. We have two motorcycles in the family, a Suzuki v-strom 650 and a Harley Sportster 1200 and 5ish L/100Km is what they get.

#6 ·
Just information, my window sticker claims 8.5 L/100Km city and 5.5 L/100Km highway. The city number is a little worse than reality, but the highway number is ridiculous haha. We have two motorcycles in the family, a Suzuki v-strom 650 and a Harley Sportster 1200 and 5ish L/100Km is what they get.
28 MPG City/42.8 MPG highway. Fitz, are you driving an ECO MT? Those are the correct numbers.

#9 ·
Not bad. My '13 LT/M6 will pull 36-37 with the cruise set at 75-78, even loaded generously with luggage, as long as I don't have much of a headwind. It can drop to 33 running around town in the winter, but on a recent Sunday afternoon drive on a winding 2-lane the DIC showed 48.6 after 70 miles. ?

#12 ·
All you guys get excellent gas mileage. Here's what I am use to and I don't like I know something is wrong.
I fill up and trip says 426 km can be drivin. I get about 400 km actually drivin. I get 13.5L/100. I don't even drive fast, your guys gettin 6-9 what's the magic?cause I an always filling up. My mother got a corollary and off the bat 600km can be driving 1.8 same tank.

#17 ·
Are you talking in town or highway driving? I accelerate slower than a lot of "vancouver drivers" do (you know what I mean) off the line and just try to maintain my momentum between lights, rather that racing from red light to red light. I'm not driving like a grandpa either, but I swear a lot of people floor it on green lights. On the highway I'm usually 10K over the limit, and try to keep my speed consistent. Once I'm out of the city and into the mountains I just set the cruise at 130 on the coke until I hit the next town.

Depending on how many Km's your have on your car, I'd change your air filter and your spark plugs and clean both sides of the throttle body, then check your tire pressures to see if they are low. This is basically a tune up. AC kills the mileage a fair bit too.

#13 · (Edited)

There's the first 5 months of my 11' Eco MT with 102K on the odo, making no real effort to drive for MPG. I have not done much driving so far besides a short commute, so worse case for MPG. When I drive on the interstate, I set the cruise at 82 MPH, and don't do any crazy stuff like drafting lorries. Around town I drive at a brisk pace and usually ignore the shift light, but try to conserve momentum some, and always drive safely and defensively. No full tanks of easy 50-60 MPH highway driving to pad my numbers, but most of the mixed tanks are mixed with such.

Despite all that, these numbers are double what my old Audi 3.2 quattro got, and I have not been to the shop once yet. Mission accomplished in that respect. :eek:ccasion14:

#16 ·
#14 ·
I'm pretty much the same as Zen. I don't get in the car thinking, I'm looking to get the best gas mileage, possible, today. In fact, I don't think I've ever done that. There have been a few times I've tossed the cruise on at 72 and still gotten 42-43 over a 50 mile trip. But for the most part I have a 40 mile one way, commute. I get about 38-40 driving to work. Most times I'm going 70-75.

#15 ·
Since rush hour driving is so boring I do spend this time trying to get the best fuel economy I can. The rest of the time I don't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.