really terrible mpg need help - Page 2

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: really terrible mpg need help

BOOOOST!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercruze1lt View Post
    i dont get more than 400km to a tank, thats 248 miles
    If your 14km commute is all stop and go you might not see much better. Now if you drive highway you should have no problem getting 650km (400 miles) from a 15.6 gal gas tank.
    bbdhomer likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

XR and I created a pair of posts/threads that include a laundry list of items that can make or break fuel economy. His is applicable year round and mine is a cold weather addendum to it. Have you gone through these two posts to see if anything on them jumps out at you as a recent change to your car or driving habits? Both are stickied in the Fuel Economy sub-forum. Also, what engines and transmissions do you guys have? It makes a huge difference in fuel economy. Other than OP's opening post, we don't really have a feel for what your car should be getting.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Learning about my Cruze silvercruze1lt's Avatar
    the 14km commute is all city but with a steady foot and all green lights usually
    the car has the 1.4t and the 6 spd auto, i also follow that thread that you made on how to save fuel.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    These things go into closed loop quite early. It's not a old car that needs a minute or so.

I'd look into the usual suspects such as weather, tire pressure, any changes in usual driving routines/traffic, and letting other people use the car. Some folks are lead-foots that can't get good fuel economy if their life depended on it.
    I'll have to check into this more, because from what I have seen, the car doesn't go into close loop mode until the ECT hits 160 degrees F.

With regard to the terrible gas mileage, it's actually not that bad given the fact that it's winter right now, with winter grade fuel, and the commute is so incredibly short. In fact, 20MPG is pretty good given the conditions. In a 10km or 14km commute, does the car even reach full operating temperature?

I'll bet your fuel economy will skyrocket once the weather warms up.
    ErikBEggs and DrVette like this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Off-Road Champion
    It sounds about right to me. These things don't get to full operating temp in city-only driving in the winter. Takes a good 20 minutes under those conditions.

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    I'll have to check into this more, because from what I have seen, the car doesn't go into close loop mode until the ECT hits 160 degrees F.

I think this is correct. Also with the automatic the torque converter does not lock up until the 160-175degree range(I'm going by engine temp since I have no trans temp). When driving on the highway with the automatic you will notice the RPMs are higher than normal by about 400-600rpm, once the above mentioned temps are reached the RPM drops to normal.

Lifetime: 10.4 cents per mile @ $3.68 average price over 60K miles

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercruze1lt View Post
    the 14km commute is all city but with a steady foot and all green lights usually
    the car has the 1.4t and the 6 spd auto, i also follow that thread that you made on how to save fuel.
    Without adding some highway to your route or eliminating stop signs/lights I really don't think you will see any improvement until the weather warms up.

My girlfriends weekly driving is 100% city with idling(remote start) & never fully warming up the car the DIC reads around 12mpg. Luckily I actually have to drive 30-60miles(about 70%hwy/30%city) round trip when I want to go shopping once a week which brings that poor MPG up to a more reasonable 25-30mpg.

Lifetime: 10.4 cents per mile @ $3.68 average price over 60K miles

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    I checked this morning on my ScanGauge II. From a 33*F cold start with the car sitting in 33*F air all night, the car was in closed loop in 30 seconds. Not sure on coolant temperature, but likely wasn't much above 70*F or so, if that.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Learning about my Cruze silvercruze1lt's Avatar
    so what you guys are saying is that until its summer, it wont be getting any better

MjC
    i honestly think somethings wrong, I live in toronto too and do 95% city driving with a load of stop signs, getting around 8.5L/100km
    obermd likes this.
    2012 Summit White LT1

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.