Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Nice MPG!

Tags
mpg nice
5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  BU54 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 1LT gasoline cruze. For the first two years I was using 87 octane fuel. For a while I didn't know the cruze needs 91 for optimum performance. A few months ago I started using 93 because most stations around here have 87,89 then 92 or 93 and 93 is the same price as 91(if you can find it)or 92. Right away I noticed a +/- 10% increase in fuel economy. My lifetime MPG went from 36.9 to 37.6 over 1500 miles or so using 93. I started keeping track of just how much better MPG was so over the last 546 miles(see pic)I'm averaging 45.8 MPG. Now this is on secondary roads with the speed limit anywhere from 35 to 55 MPH with most of my journey on country roads where fuel economy is best.

The second pic is my lifetime average of 37.6 MPG over 11,183 miles. I mainly use me cruze for vacations on the interstate and traveling to my 2nd job 50 miles(one way)from where I live. On that route there's 22 stop lights and two stop signs with a 30 mile strech with only one stop sign. I accelerate easy and when I see the red light ahead I slow down, coast hoping by the time I get there to make it green or to reduce the amount or time sitting there getting 0 MPG. No I'm not one of those guys that races everyone to the red light. lol

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Gauge
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, the first ones a pretty nice tank average! My car has really impressed me with the highway traveling I've been doing the past few weeks - the DIC hasn't dipped below 40 mpg.

I am normally stuck driving in town with my car and my averages are down in the low 30s. Not complaining, but it is really cool to see a tank of gas last 500+ miles.

#3 ·
Yep. My overall MPG is up and my projected miles per tank is slowly creeping up I think I am almost to 500 now after I fill up. That along with hwy driving I don't typically do. When I am just doing city, my projected is @ 400. Hilly Cincinnati and rush hour/construction keep it < "hypercruzer" but I am like J:
I am normally stuck driving in town with my car and my averages are down in the low 30s. Not complaining, but it is really cool to see a tank of gas last 500+ miles.

#4 ·
Well done and something we can point to for those who are scared of the higher price per gallon.

#5 ·
500 plus miles is easy with those massive 14 - 15 gallon tanks. ( I know.... same tank) lol challenge yourself and fill to an average of 11.4 gallons, which is from 3.5% to 85% ish fuel level in my 15 Eco. At 3.5% I am deep into my low fuel range it comes on around 10%

RANT....

I have read in various locations on here that going to 13.5 gallons is relatively "easy" and I would love to do that, but after the first click it takes about 6 more painful clicks and another minute to get my next liter in. I am convinced that it is impossible to easily achieve the 13.5 as suggested, or at the very least I have no interest to find out how long it takes to "easily" fill the last 10 or 11 liters.

Done now, I feel better... lol

QUESTIONs...

Who here has an unmodified tank 2015 Eco Manual?
How much effort does it take to fill it past the click? maybe we have to break down the MY to confirm? Once i do get some solid information. I will do it just once or twice to find out. possibly with a ventless gas jug in my driveway first

It is unlikely that GM got better at controlling the fill-up on my car, but who knows.

#7 ·
QUESTIONs...

Who here has an unmodified tank 2015 Eco Manual?
How much effort does it take to fill it past the click? maybe we have to break down the MY to confirm? Once i do get some solid information. I will do it just once or twice to find out. possibly with a ventless gas jug in my driveway first.
As I have been doing for years....all you have to do is fill a 2 gal gas can and just dump it in after your pump fill-up.

#10 ·
Hi Guys, I don't know how you do it - use so little fuel.

Here in Australia our fuel tank holds 60L. I think this equates to 15.8 US gallons.

I also know in the turbo version, yours are 1.4L engines and our are 1.6L engines.

My 2015 SRi-V (1.6T Auto) averages over 9L/100kms. This is a maximum of 26 MPG, but more like 24 MPG. On a trip which wasn't solely highway driving, I used average 8L/100 which is still only 29 MPG.

To get what you guys are saying, I would have to only be using 5.4L/100. Even on a flat road it averages about 7L instant but obviously fluctuates with on and off throttle.

I was impressed when I told my wife the other day that I got over 600km out of a tank (actually 620km).

You are saying 500 miles out of a tank, I was happy and was only getting about 350 miles out of a tank of fuel.

Why is this so. Do you guys have 20 gallon gas tanks lol

I commented here just to give a different prospective and also other discussion points.

Cheers, Kev

#11 ·
Same tank - different drive trains.

#12 · (Edited)
Now this is on secondary roads with the speed limit anywhere from 35 to 55 MPH with most of my journey on country roads where fuel economy is best.
With the automatic the real sweet spot for MPG is 30-67mph. Can get great MPG even in the city if you can keep the car in 5th(above 28mph). Allot of the two lane highways I drive will go though a small town every 15-30 miles, usually if I can avoid stop lights/signs my DIC mpg actually increases driving through these towns. My average speed is typically around 42-44mph, In the summer months I average 38-40mpg every month.

I sometimes drive at night on backroads, so many deer around here don't dare drive over 45mph. I was driving to a friends Northern Wisconsin Cabin the other night at midnight+, was about 150 miles of roads at that speed. I reset my DIC at 45mph, 150 miles later It was reading 52mpg. Even though that tank had over 150 miles at 70mph, I still managed 43.3mpg(pump calculated) over 550 miles.

EDIT: I put 4000 miles on my cruze last month, in 80F+ temps I get 36mpg(pump calculated) at 70mph with or without AC use. This is with two adults, a full size spare, 25lb+ of camping gear and at times 50lb cooler with food/drinks and ice.

#14 ·
The tank is the same one. In the US we don't measure the fill pipe to the evap control system. Every other country includes this section of the fill pipe, making their "official" tank capacities slightly larger than the US.

#17 ·
Is it an LS? Also, from the speed average I'd say there are a lot of stop lights.

#19 ·
I managed to increase MPG a bit since starting this thread. I'm up to 46.2mpg from 45.8 at 701 miles now and my lifetime average also increased .1 to 37.7mpg
I don't think I can get much better than this with her. This is a 21.6% increase over what GM rates the highway MPG for my cruise.:eek:ccasion14:

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Gauge Auto part
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Gauge Odometer

#21 ·
Yes and how do we know how accurate the pump is? When the pump stops do they all stop at the same level of your tank? Do we "top off" and how do we know how much we top off? I'm comparing apples to apples here and it's much easier using the DIC then filling up and calculating all the time. I did check it once a year ago or so on a 660 mile trip and the DIC was darn close depending on how much I topped off the tank and again on a 860 mile trip to Columbus Georgia. I like to top off the tank before long trips so I can make it out of Illinois to where gas is cheaper. With the cruze this isn't a problem but with my 2003 S-10 I use about 15 gallons to make it to Festus Missouri, about 325 miles from home down I-55. Also one "secret" to my good mileage is when the tank is 1/2 or less MPG improves due to less weight. :th_salute:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.