Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

HyperCruzer Badges

134K views 721 replies 96 participants last post by  mechguy78 
#1 · (Edited)
To recognize those members who have proven the Cruze is capable of far exceeding the official government estimates for fuel economy and range, we have developed two Hyper Cruzer badges. The first badge should be obtainable by simply learning to drive efficiently. The second badge is aimed at those members who are serious hypermilers and will involve some risk of running out of gas if you're not careful. To get the silver badge, you need to provide evidence, usually in the form of a picture, showing that you have exceeded the single tank published range for your model Cruze by at least 10%. The gold hyper miler badge requires exceeding the single tank published range by 20%. If you prefer to not risk running out of gas you can also earn these badges by providing evidence of 5 consecutive fill-ups of a minimum of 8 US gallons (30 liters) with either each having an average fuel economy listed or the total fuel economy above the listed value for the silver or gold economy column.

DISCLAIMER: These numbers are doable, but not easily. If you run out of gas trying to do this, it's your own fault, not that of CruzeTalk, AutoGuide, or anyone else. It takes planning and some luck to achieve this type of range. The gold level requires medium to serious hypermiling techniques. Be careful out there and be considerate of drivers around you. Finally, pay attention to your low fuel warning lights and fill up. You can always try again. If you run out of gas I do have a HyperFailure badge you can add to your signature block. You have to request it however.

Year/ModelHighway/Ultra-UrbanSilver RangeSilver EconomyGold RangeGold Economy
2009-2010
US (Canada) LS AT35 (6.7)540 (870)38.5 (6.1)590 (950)42.0 (5.6)
US (Canada) LS MT, LT, LTZ36 (6.5)550 (890)39.6 (5.9)600 (970)43.2 (5.4)
US (Canada) ECO AT37 (6.4)570 (920)40.7 (5.8)620 (1,000)44.4 (5.3)
US (Canada) ECO MT*42 (5.6)620 (1,000)46.2 (5.1)680 (1,090)50.4 (4.7)
ECO MT Modified Fuel Pump42 (5.6)650 (1,040)46.2 (5.1)710 (1,140)50.4 (4.7)
2012-2016 Limited (CTD is 2014-2015)
US (Canada) LS AT35 (6.7)540 (870)38.5 (6.1)590 (950)42.0 (5.6)
US (Canada) L, LS MT36 (6.5)550 (890)39.6 (5.9)600 (970)43.2 (5.4)
US (Canada) LT, LTZ38 (6.2)590 (940)41.8 (5.6)640 (1,030)45.6 (5.2)
US (Canada) ECO AT39 (6.0)600 (970)42.9 (5.5)660 (1,050)46.9 (5.0)
US (Canada) ECO MT*42 (5.6)620 (1,000)46.2 (5.1)680 (1,090)50.4 (4.7)
ECO MT Modified Fuel Pump42 (5.6)650 (1,040)46.2 (5.1)710 (1,140)50.4 (4.7)
US (Canada) ECO Clean Turbo Diesel46 (5.1)700 (1,140)50.6 (4.6)775 (1,240)55.2 (4.3)
US (Canada) ECO CTD 18 Gallon Tank46 (5.1)835 (1,340)50.6 (4.6)910 (1,470)55.2 (4.3)
2016 (Gen 2)
US (Canada) LS AT, LS MT, LT MT41 (5.7)560 (900)44.4 (5.3)610 (980)48.4 (4.9)
US (Canada) LT AT42 (5.6)575 (920)46.4 (5.1)625 (1,000)50.4 (4.7)
US (Canada) Premier40 (6.2)550 (885)42.3 (5.6)600 (965)46.4 (5.1)

As members report their ranges, model years, trims, and transmissions I will update this table for non-US (Canada) Cruze. The next post describes the methodology used and also how we're going to handle non-EPA tested trims.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
With the exception of the US (Canada) Cruze ECO MT we are assuming a 14 US gallons (55 litres) usable in the tank. This gives all Cruze trims a minimum of 55 US miles (90 kilometers) in reserve for the range. The range must be actual when you pull in to fill up. The US (Canada) Cruze ECO MT has an artificial limit of 12.6 gallons. It is relatively easy to get this tank to 13.5 gallons but gets progressively harder to reach 14 gallons. Thus the range numbers are slightly lower but the overall fuel economy numbers are the same. Excessively overfilling your tank above 15.6 gallons (59 liters) may shorten the life of your car's fuel system. When we see this we will be falling back on the computed MPG values to determine whether or not to award these badges. Questionable awards will be discussed by the site staff and VIP members before awarding them.

So far, we only have the numbers for the US/Canada Cruze computed. We are using the US EPA numbers since they are far more realistic for most drivers. The chart in the first post shows both US Miles and Kilometers, rounded to the nearest 10. The range numbers for the US/Canada Cruze are in US Miles (Kilometers). The fuel economy numbers are US MPG and L/100KM. I have researched the differences between the EPA and the rest of the world appears that the EPA runs about 10% low vs. the European Union, which is the basis for all fuel economy estimates in the rest of the world. As such, the silver badge will be earned for meeting the official Ultra-Urban fuel economy for the country estimates for 5 tanks or the computed range for 55 liters. The gold badge will be computed at 10% over those numbers.

All calculations for the US (Canada) Cruze trims were done in US Miles and Gallons and then rounded. Canadian (metric) numbers are shown in parenthesis and are rounded from the raw, prerounded mileage. As a result, the 1.8 Automatic and the 2012 and later 1.4T automatic have the same rounded range of 590 miles but the rounded range in kilometers is different. The 1.8 rounds down to 590 and the 2012 1.4T automatics round up to 590. Both are within five miles of 590. The formulas used are below. I was originally going to round to the nearest 25 miles but discovered it wasn't granular enough, generating the same numbers for different base MPGs. The MPG numbers are direct computations of the EPA highway number - 10% for the first level and 20% for the second level.

Special Note for the ECO MT:

While developing these badges we discovered that it is relatively easy to get 13.5 gallons into the ECO MT's marketing limited gas tank, but it starts getting progressively harder above this level. Thus there are two sets of numbers for the ECO MT. The first set, US (Canada) ECO MT* assume a 13.5 gallon tank. The second set, ECO MT Modified Fuel Pump, uses 14 gallons. Some of you have increased your tank capacity so we gave you a set of numbers just for you.

Special Note for the CTD:

Since we developed these it has become apparent that the CTD is capable of holding over 17 gallons for fuel. For the CTD we will be using range and average fuel economy as a result. See the note above in red about this.

For non-US/Canada Cruze trims, I will use 55 litres for the tank size. This leaves 5 litres in reserve. The formulas I used in Excel are as follows:

Silver Range MPG: =Round(MPG * 14 * 1.1, -1)
Gold Range MPG: =Round(MPG * 14 * 1.2, -1)

Silver MPG: =Round(MPG * 1.1, 1)
Gold MPG: =Round(MPG * 1.2, 1)

Silver Range KM: =Round(MPG * 14 * 1.1 * 1.609344, -1)
Gold Range KM: =Round(MPG * 14 * 1.2 * 1.609344, -1)

L/100KM: =Round(378.5411784/1.609344/MPG, 1)
Silver L/100KM: =Round(378.5411784/1.609344/(MPG * 1.1), 1)
Gold L/100KM: =Round(378.5411784/1.609344/(MPG * 1.2), 1)

For the US (Canada) Cruze, MPG numbers are the highway number reported by the EPA at www.fueleconomy.gov.

[HR][/HR]
To see how these badges were designed and the criteria developed, start at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/16826-i-have-idea-new-badge.html and then continue to http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/19097-hypercruzers.html. There are 400+ posts between these two threads.

#3 · (Edited)
I will be going through the site looking for people who have met the above criteria and awarding them with badges. If you don't see a badge show up in the next few days please post your evidence in this thread.

OK - I've been through all the high tank mileage threads I'm aware of and assigned members to HyperCruzer Silver and HyperCruzer Gold groups.

#4 ·
Are Fuelly postings adequate or do you want pictures of the DIC?

#5 ·
As long as I can access your fuelly, ecomodder, or fueleconomy.gov fill up history they will work. I actually figured this would be the easiest way to check for the 5 fill up average.

#10 ·
If I'm not mistaken, you input the data yourself on each fill up with fuelly correct? If so we cant use it as a basis on determining badges, since anyone can simply make up a mileage that meets the mark and report their account to you for the badge. I'm not calling everyone out there with a fuelly account a liar, but I think that for a badge, photographic proof of the DIC and the receipt should be provided. Seeing as just the DIC of the MPG's and total range on the trip doesn't show gallons used since trip reset.

#9 · (Edited)
When the construction co. Completes these roads here I might just be able to gather those numbers . Too many construction zones at the present time . I know I can bust the Gov,s posted numbers . Cool ....................

#11 ·
He mentioned in his OP this

To get the silver badge, you need to provide evidence, usually in the form of a picture, showing that you have exceeded the published range for your model Cruze by at least 10%. The gold hyper miler badge requires exceeding the published range by 20%.
We heavily discussed this and came down to the conclusion that a picture of the DIC and gas receipt are necessary. Correct me if i am wrong Mike.

#12 ·
Danny, I believe for the range number you are correct.

Just for everyone's information. We discussed this program nearly to death, including questions about why we just don't pick a single range, which if you look at the initial chart you will see is impossible. We also discussed the amount of fuel we were going to assume you're using. I originally assumed the full 15.6 gallon tank and that was pointed out that the risk of running out of gas is very high doing this. Another discussion we had was how to handle non EPA tested Cruze which lead to several hours of web searching on how various countries do their testing.

For the multi-tank option, fuelly.com, ecomodder.com, and fueleconomy.gov accounts will work, but the fill ups can't be the five most recent. You need to have at least three fill ups of 8 gallons past them. This is to reduce the chance of an erroneous entry on your account throwing your actual fuel economy calculations off. You can also post the pictures of the main odometer and fuel receipts from any five consecutive fill ups.

#13 ·
So cool to see the badges put to use, I'll have to give this a shot once I have a long freeway trip planned!

#14 ·
Iroc, thanks for making the badges. I'm holding Blue Angel's special badge in reserve.

#15 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I'll do my best to earn my badge...:)

Reactions: obermd
#16 ·
It wont be easy I guarantee that lol. Go For Gold

#18 ·
#19 ·
Brian, for city driving this looks good. However, we chose specifically to not include city driving because what I have in Denver isn't the same as San Francisco or Boston. City traffic patterns vary so much it would be impossible to figure out.

#35 ·
Thanks for clarifying. I drive@90 - 95 % city and I typically beat EPA for the combined/city by my hypermiling when driving in the city. I was going to ask if this is limited to hwy driving only, but you answered my question Thanks. Guess I have to move out of the city! LOL

#20 ·
If I am getting better than government posted mpg city , and only drive city for my specific purposes , Hypermiling those allotted miles regardless of the city and traffic patterns . There would be a mathematical equation that stipulates my fuel economy . And this is my beginning post for Documentation purposes .

Reactions: Sonic
#21 ·
If I am getting better than government posted mpg city , and only drive city for my specific purposes , Hypermiling those allotted miles regardless of the city and traffic patterns . There would be a mathematical equation that stipulates my fuel economy . And this is my beginning post for Documentation purposes .
There are way too many variables to determine what would be a fair # for everyone, so an equation would not be possible, unless we visit all 18,443 cities, towns, villages, etc, and even then within every city there are countys. I was barely able to get 22 MPG in my LS, and i had HWY in it. Why? because where i live, there are a BUNCH of traffic lights and for ever sq ft of street there is 9000 cars.

So just follow what obermd said, it was something that we all agreed on.

#22 ·
So if I reset my trip on every freeway run and documented only freeway mpg over "X" amount of trips, then did an average would I be able to submit for HC?

#23 ·
If you prefer to not risk running out of gas you can also earn these badges by providing evidence of 5 consecutive fill-ups of a minimum of 8 US gallons (30 liters) each with an average fuel economy listed for the silver or gold economy column.
After thinking about this why would one need to burn 5X8 gallons = 45 gallons at the silver or gold level vs if you risk running out of gas you only need to keep the average over 15.6gallons?

Seems this alternative method should be based on gallons and miles to be equal. For gold with my 1LT I have to get 45.6mpg over 640miles, yet this alternate way I would have to drive 2052miles(based on gallons and MPG target).

#26 · (Edited)
Exactly ............... some nut job whom I shall not name had to have unreasonable qualifications implemented !

To add 5x8 =45 no sir ,,,,,,,, 5x8 = 40 .....

#24 ·
#25 ·
WhiteAndBright - you need 590 miles on a tank or five consecutive tanks averaging over 41.8 MPG. I definitely like the 48.1 MPG for a single tank however.

#27 ·
I kind of understand why they are doing it the way they are. It's essentially see how much you can possible get out of one tank, but they probably threw in later the scenario of five tanks to prove the same thing. I'd like a badge now too but it seems were going to have to earn it (which is a good thing)

#30 ·
Doesn't this system favoritize Cruzen that see mostly highway miles? What about those that don't see 100% highway? As an example my Cruze, using EPA estimates:
My percentage city/hwy: 45%/55%***
My combined MPG EPA estimate= 0.45*28+0.55*42 = 35.7 MPG combined
Silver badge according to my commute: 35.7*(1+0.1) = 39.27 MPG
Gold badge: 35.7*(1+0.2) = 42.84

***Using the following formula for each tank, and according to EPA city test avg MPH = 21, EPA highway test avg MPH = 48
Highway percentage = (DIC MPH-21)/(48-21)*100
City percentage = (100%-(highway percentage))

Im not trolling for a badge, but just pointing out the bias of this system towards Cruzen that see more highway miles than others.

#66 · (Edited)
Doesn't this system favoritize Cruzen that see mostly highway miles? What about those that don't see 100% highway? As an example my Cruze, using EPA estimates:
My percentage city/hwy: 45%/55%***
My combined MPG EPA estimate= 0.45*28+0.55*42 = 35.7 MPG combined
Silver badge according to my commute: 35.7*(1+0.1) = 39.27 MPG
Gold badge: 35.7*(1+0.2) = 42.84

***Using the following formula for each tank, and according to EPA city test avg MPH = 21, EPA highway test avg MPH = 48
Highway percentage = (DIC MPH-21)/(48-21)*100
City percentage = (100%-(highway percentage))

Im not trolling for a badge, but just pointing out the bias of this system towards Cruzen that see more highway miles than others.
We won't use city because it is too easy to "cheat" the system. I mentioned in VIP where I live if I decide to go over the U.S. Canada border it can take me over an hour to cross. The cruze burns less than 0.2 gal in an hour but sitting there for an hour will drop my DIC over 10 mph easily to low 20s or low 30s. Now somehow I'm looking at something like 80% city? Toll booth delays and basic traffic congestion work exactly the same. Just too easy to 'game' it.

At the end of the day, what is most important is fuel costs, not fuel economy. Someone who commutes 50+ miles per day and gets a badge is still worse off than a person commuting 10 miles per day as far as $$$$ is concerned. Total $$$ is all people should care about. Save the badge for your next road trip and be happy you aren't spending 2 hours per day in your car and at the gas station every week.

#31 ·
I second bow tie Guy .. Biased...

#32 ·
Come on guys this is supposed to be a challenge don't make it into a flame war. This is supposed to test the cars ability in its best shining point which is obviously on the HWY so let keep the negativity to a minimum.

#34 ·
What ? 2.8 mile commuting in an eco , try adding some more common road hazards like construction zones . Try driving a real city and achieve better than average FE .
And no one is flaming I resent the notion !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.