How to Get Better Fuel Economy - Page 28
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: How to Get Better Fuel Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    no tune yet, I know I couldn't do it myself, and +2mpg wouldn't be worth the money to me, +5-10mpg, maybe. But I know nothing of how that stuff works. That's sad that I would pay so much additional money on a car and +2mpg I still wouldn't hit the EPA estimates!
    All the tune requires is a laptop. With the trifecta tune, my CAI, and the recall done (should hurt FE) I get 45 MPG on the highway flat terrain 58 mph cruise control. That is 20% higher than the EPA hwy rating. Even when I go 65-70 mph on road trips I get 38-40 MPG. My fuelly proves it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I wish I had that.

After the wonderful numbers that this tank started with, I only got 413 miles. DIC said I could still go 70 miles, but I had to fill up before coming to work.

I've always been of the mind that cruise control would get me better gas mileage on my 3 hour trips to Cleveland. Today I tested out to see what the difference was, on the way there with cruise I got 33.4 MPG. On the way back I got 37.6 MPG. That is an amazing difference. This is on an Auto Cruze. I'm going to up my tire pressure and see what I get on the same trip on Thursday. Thanks for the great write-up!

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    I've always been of the mind that cruise control would get me better gas mileage on my 3 hour trips to Cleveland. Today I tested out to see what the difference was, on the way there with cruise I got 33.4 MPG. On the way back I got 37.6 MPG. That is an amazing difference. This is on an Auto Cruze. I'm going to up my tire pressure and see what I get on the same trip on Thursday. Thanks for the great write-up!
    I have gotten better MPG not using the cruise control in ever car I have owned. I still sometimes use it, when my foot/ankle need a break or I am driving on the interstate.

With the cruise control in the cruze & the automatic, try using manual shifting mode. Instead of downshifting once you loose 2MPH like in full automatic mode on a hill, it will allow you to loose 8+ MPH(never fully tested to see if the cruise will eventually kick off). before I ever loose to much speed or slow other traffic I will manually downshift.

In my area with lots of rolling 150-300ft hills with steep grades allowing the car to loose more speed before downshifting, that means I can make it over half way up the hill(or all the way)with no downshift at all. Again these are steep grades that would normally kick down on every hill near the bottom, in a 30 mile drive that would be at least a dozen unneeded downshifts.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Administrator

The Cruze control will kick off at -15 MPH from the set point. This, and the ability to set as low as 25 MPH, seems to be a standard on GM vehicles. Most people will get better mpg using Cruze control on the highway, but if you pay attention to what's coming up you can beat the mpg from the cruze control system.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    Don't make conclusions just yet. Headwind or tailwind of several miles per hour will easily make up that difference. Is there a difference in elevation between your locations?

Raising tire pressure will definitely make an improvement.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I make the same trip multiple times a week and looking at the weather I was going into a slight wind this time, I've been hovering around 33-34 MPG until this trip, I had about half a tank left at 32.8 MPG (80-20 HW/CT split) on the way up and when I got there not using cruise control I was up to ~35MPG. I'll see what I get when I make the trip on Thursday. I do believe there is a slight elevation increase between Columbus and Cleveland but I haven't looked into it. Edit: Hmm its the opposite of what I expected, its an elevation increase to Cle from Col (about 250ft higher in Col). I thought it was the opposite for some reason. Maybe I did jump to conclusions though as so far on this tank it was 99% highway. Ill wait till Friday to see what happens.
    Last edited by rmass09; 11-13-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

Super Moderator

I can beat the cruise control up to about 62 mph. After 62 mph the MPG's on these cars really slides downhill, cruise control or not.

If going up a very slight incline at 35 mph, shifting into 5th has better fuel economy than being in 6th. Conversely, going on a slight downhill at 35 mph, 6th is the gear to be in since the engine is essentially idling at 1100 RPM at that speed.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedout View Post
    I have gotten better MPG not using the cruise control in ever car I have owned. I still sometimes use it, when my foot/ankle need a break or I am driving on the interstate.
    That is the only time it really should be used: on the interstate. Your foot will not out-hypermill a computer on a <6% grade

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast