mpg help!!!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mpg help!!!

Handbrake Released

mpg help!!!

hey could anyone please help me i read on this forum that alot of cruzes came with the spark plug gap wrong i was wondering if that could be the cause of my problem. i have a 2012 lt auto and driving normal being fuel efficient i can not break 26mpg i am in the mid 25s to a tank i do all driving around town but am not crazy on the gas at all i also live in new york.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Resident Tater Salad

New York City? With a ton of stop and go 26 doesn't surprise me.

Yes, the spark plug gap can affect gas mileage a little bit since it takes more pedal pressure to get going. Change it to .035".

Also try 89 or 91 octane for a tank and see if it improves your MPG.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Handbrake Released
    i live long island not the city its more steady driving not so much stop and go. and i have used all not noticed to much of a difference a minor difference from 87 to 89 nothing on 91

Administrator

Stick with 89 in that case. Also, the 1.4T engine improves it's efficiency over the first 5-10K miles, so if you're below 5,000 miles, it will get better. My ECO MT improved from mid 30s to over 42 between 3,000 and 10,000 miles.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

+1 on MPG's increasing as the engine is worn in, also read this write-up it helped me. How to Get Better Fuel Economy

Driver's Ed

MPG decrease??

I have a 2012 LS, 12,000 miles. Used to get an average of 34/35 mpg consistantly. In the past few months it has gone down to 31/32 with the same driving style & route. Any ideas what would have caused this significant decrease?

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas C View Post
    I have a 2012 LS, 12,000 miles. Used to get an average of 34/35 mpg consistantly. In the past few months it has gone down to 31/32 with the same driving style & route. Any ideas what would have caused this significant decrease?

You did not indicate where you live, but my guess is colder weather. Colder weather requires longer engine warm up period when it consumes more fuel. In the northern US at least they also start using Winter blend gas which also has some effect on lower MPG.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.69 average price over 59K miles

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by papoose42 View Post
    I can not break 26mpg i am in the mid 25s to a tank i do all driving around town but am not crazy on the gas at all i also live in new york.
    I believe anything below 40MPH is still considered city driving, especially if you throw in a stop sign/light every few miles at a minimum. Knowing that your car is rated at 26city/38highway, so it looks like you are getting exactly what you are suppose to.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.69 average price over 59K miles

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.