cold weather decreases mpg ?? my cruze disagrees
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: cold weather decreases mpg ?? my cruze disagrees

cold weather decreases mpg ?? my cruze disagrees

So apparently the cold weather doesnt affect the cruze mpg as much as I was expecting. Yes my overall mpg for the fall has decreased by 5 mpg which was expected. The picture below shows that in calm, gentle 30f degree weather or 95f degree weather mpg will remain consistant. Over the next couple weeks the weather in the 4-5k elevation Idaho mountains will experience 0-20f temperatures it will be interesting to see what affect this has on mpg as long as the weather remains calm and not windy.

On a side note I try to keep my tires at 38psi *cold* and is actually about where they stay while driving on the highway * warm* which is about 2-3psi less then my summer months pressure.

These mpg numbers are identical to what I see during the hot summer months on this particular stretch of highway.
    Last edited by CruzeEcoBlueTopaz; 11-14-2012 at 01:10 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Good lord that is fantastic gas mileage!!! I could never get that good, my foot is heavy

I drive a particularly dangerous 75 mile stretch of highway everynight in the dark of night that receives a healthy amount of wildlife traffic. Reducing my speed has helped me to dodge a deer or two on a few occasions and obviously increases my mpg.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzeEcoBlueTopaz View Post
    I drive a particularly dangerous 75 mile stretch of highway everynight in the dark of night that receives a healthy amount of wildlife traffic. Reducing my speed has helped me to dodge a deer or two on a few occasions and obviously increases my mpg.
    Your long trips won't be susceptible to the reason most people get bad fuel economy during the winter; warm up time. The car spends much longer warming up in open loop mode, practically dumping fuel. The temperature of the intake air itself stays fairly warm as the intake sucks in air from the engine bay.
    ErikBEggs likes this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I find my cruze loves the cooler/cold weather. My best MPG came in winter last year although i live in FL and it wasnt freezing but still from the 40's to the 70's my car averaged 2-4 MPG better over winter

Lol. That's because Florida just has 2 seasons. Spring and Summer. 70s isn't cold.

And I'm glad my car stays in the garage which even in 20-30 degree weather it is about 50-60. So I don't have the problem of my car having to warm up all that much in the morning.
    spacedout and ErikBEggs like this.

'12 Cruze Eco 6M Topaz Blue

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Your long trips won't be susceptible to the reason most people get bad fuel economy during the winter; warm up time. The car spends much longer warming up in open loop mode, practically dumping fuel. The temperature of the intake air itself stays fairly warm as the intake sucks in air from the engine bay.

I noticed my MPG is is the can when I ride the bus to work, I drive my car @2 miles to a park and ride and the car has no time to warm up. But would I waste more gas letting the car warm in my garage? When I leave@ 6:25 I have just enough time to get to the bus @6:30 AM ergo no time for warm up. Effectively I use more gas than save gas by riding the bus! LOL

Touring Champion
    My girlfriend walks to work in the summer as long as its nice, she only works about 1000ft from our house(three short blocks). When she does drive the DIC typically reads about 9-20mpg. Now that its cold she drives every day, can't wait to see how low our MPG goes.

She uses remote start for 5 minutes before & after work to defrost windows, I make sure to fully warm car(30 minutes to an hour drive) at least once a week to eliminate condensation in the oil from the short trips.

had issues with my last car with all the short trips & never fully warming up, the oil would be white sludge by 3000miles. did a test on that car once the oil was all white sludge, had to drive the car 3-4 hours to eliminate all residue from dipstick & oil fill cap. Best bet never let it get bad in the first place by driving the car 30minutes every few days. Cruze probably will never be as bad because of how hot it runs it will more easily eliminate condensation.

In the winter months I will probably just change my oil every 3months/3,000miles if I notice any condensation issues. I should also add that it didn't matter if I used regular or synthetic oil in my last car, Mobil 1 would also get bad condensation when always driven cold & never warmed up.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Off-Road Champion

Many people don't realise that one of the main reasons cars use more gas in colder temps is that cold air is more dense and harder for the car to push through. So not only does the car use more gas warming up from lower temps (big effect on shorter trips), even once it's warm the mileage is reduced by extra drag.
    '12 ECO MT

Super Moderator

Different fuel, the engine needing to warm up longer, colder tires needing more energy to roll, increased defroster use (uses the A/C), overcoming frozen precipitation, drawing in colder air, and needing to push through colder air all will have an effect on fuel economy.

I noticed a roughly 2-3 mpg overall decrease last winter. Not bad, but still noticeable.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast