Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel Revealed
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums Ė General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel Revealed

Handbrake Released

Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel Revealed

Hoping to cash in on growing diesel demand in the U.S. market, Chevrolet debuted the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel today in Chicago.

Aimed squarely at the Volkswagen Jetta TDI, Chevrolet will offer the car in its higher end 2LT trim for $25,695 including delivery. Thatís $1,845 more than the starting price for a Volkswagen, but Chevrolet says the more premium 2LT trim will still represent a compelling value to customers.

In other words, the diesel Cruze will come with heated leather seats standard along with a seven-inch touch screen display. An available driver convenience package also adds an auto-dimming mirror, power side mirrors, a rear view camera and more.

Roughly the first two months of sales, starting in May, will be restricted to specific markets Chevrolet expects to be more open to a diesel compact passenger sedan. After that, the car will be available in dealers nationwide.

Official fuel mileage is still unreleased, but Chevrolet expects the car to get 42 mpg on the highway. Thatís right in line with the gas-burning Cruze Eco model, which accounted for 15 percent of the carís U.S. sales, according to the brand.

But Chevrolet isnít forecasting the Eco and diesel models to attract the same buyers despite the common efficiencies. Instead, it expects to attract current diesel drivers. This is GMís first diesel passenger car since the 1987 Chevette, which means the brand hopes to poach customers from other makers. The U.S. diesel pool is a small one, though, and that doesnít leave much to the imagination. Volkswagen is in the crosshairs.

That raises the question of whether or not Volkswagen drivers would consider switching to a Chevrolet. Base price comparisons make Chevrolet the more expensive option, but that also isnít a fair comparison because the diesel Cruze is only offered with a six-speed automatic.

VIEW COMPLETE 2013 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW COVERAGE

Volkswagen, on the other hand, sells the Jetta with a six-speed manual or dual-clutch gearbox. Chevyís automatic isnít the same unit as you would find with the gasoline engines ó the unit found here is built to deal with the diesel engineís 148 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. In fact, torque can be temporarily increased via an overboost function for about 10 seconds to 280 lb-ft.

Chevrolet promises that will all add up to an engine that feels closer to a V6, and itís tough to argue. Despite that, it remains to be seen if the new transmission can really stack up to Volkswagenís DSG which would seem to be the likely winner.

Look for the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel to roll out nationwide by mid-summer. A fixed date hasnít been announced, but based on Chevroletís announcement that its smaller initial debut will last about two months starting in May, July seems like a safe bet.
    Read the full story on the Chevy Cruze Diesel at AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BOOOOST!
    Wow, there goes any desire i had to look at a diesel.

Starting at 25,700 and the same MPG? Do not want.
    steve333 likes this.
    '12 Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi

'05 GSXR750 - Big ole turbo.

They are outta their minds with it priced like that. Had they come in 1500 less than the vw I think they woulda had a winner. Not now. No thank you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Cruze Eco
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Injen CAI Intake

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    Wow, there goes any desire i had to look at a diesel.

Starting at 25,700 and the same MPG? Do not want.
    What happened to it coming in an eco model? I would not want to have to buy a 2LT and then add the price premium of the diesel engine too. Seems like they are setting this up for poor sales.

I guess I was expecting a $23,000 window sticker price on the diesel. The engine should be optional on all 1LT-LTZ cars, I don't want to have to buy leather & other options just to get the engine I want.
    Last edited by spacedout; 02-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Starks8 and Hoon like this.

Lifetime: 10.6 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 53K miles

Resident Tater Salad
    It was a similar price that drove me away from the Golf TDI. It was around $26,000 for a diesel and cloth seats. At least that little torque monster could be had with a manual transmission.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    cruzers likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

I paid 26950 for my 2LT, but I also got EVERY available option, back up sensors to heated leather seats.
    Eugene_C likes this.

Wow. I was interested until I saw the auto only.

Sorry GM, you set yourself up for nothing but failure here.
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Don't think I'll be in any rush to upgrade, maybe they'll offer it on lower trims next year. I'll probably test drive one.

BOOOOST!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
    Wow. I was interested until I saw the auto only.

Sorry GM, you set yourself up for nothing but failure here.
    Didn't even see that when i skimmed the article.

There is literally nothing i find even remotely attractive about this package. Diesel drivers typically like manuals also. Not sure what the guys at GM are smoking these days. I'll eat my words if this car is a success, but i highly doubt it will be.
    '12 Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi

'05 GSXR750 - Big ole turbo.

I don't understand why it's auto only, but the big advantage is manual Eco mpg w/o the manual. not everyone wants to row through the gears.

Also, maybe the manual transmission isn't up to the amount of torque the diesel makes?

I'm hoping they bring a manual with it as well, that gets rated for 45mpg+
    Eugene_C likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast