Chevy’s First 9-Speed Transmission Debuts on Malibu

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jblackburn
  • 1 Post By jblackburn
  • 1 Post By jblackburn
  • 1 Post By MP81

Thread: Chevy’s First 9-Speed Transmission Debuts on Malibu

1st Gear

Chevy’s First 9-Speed Transmission Debuts on Malibu

Chevrolet’s very first nine-speed transmission is finally rolling out, first debuting on the 2017 Malibu and then the 2017 Cruze Diesel and 2018 Equinox.

The new transmission is available with the 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder 2017 Chevrolet Malibu and is said to be 3 percent more fuel efficient compared to the current six-speed automatic, netting a highway rating of 33 mpg. The new transmission also works with stop/start to increase fuel economy even more by shutting down the engine in stop-and-go traffic.

Chevrolet promises its nine-speed transmission, called the Hydra-Matic 9T50, will be refined and balanced, however, other automakers have experienced problems with their nine-speed units, mainly Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) brands like Jeep. The nine-speed automatic is generally becoming more mainstream, as it was once reserved for luxury cars like Mercedes-Benzes and Land Rovers.

Chevy’s transmission has a wider 7.6:1 overall ratio than the current transmission, which translates into a meaty first gear for brisk off-the-line acceleration and a tall final gear for low-rpm highway cruising.

'The smaller steps between the gears, compared to the six-speed, enable smooth, almost imperceptible upshifts, for excellent refinement,' said Dan Nicholson, vice president, Global Propulsion Systems. 'No matter the engine torque or vehicle speed, the 9T50 is always in the perfect gear.'

Nicholson added that the new transmission will be available on four Chevrolet models and 10 GM products by the end of next year.
    Read more about the Chevy’s First 9-Speed Transmission Debuts on Malibu at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Resident Tater Salad

Didn't the 2016 2.0T already have an 8 speed auto, not the 6?

And yet, still the volume-seller, which would probably benefit largely from the better gear spacing, will soldier on with the 6 speed auto? I thought we were done with this saving the good transmissions for the up-level engines stuff. (terrible 4 spd vs 6 spd).
    spacedout and Merc6 like this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Didn't the 2016 2.0T already have an 8 speed auto, not the 6?

And yet, still the volume-seller, which would probably benefit largely from the better gear spacing, will soldier on with the 6 speed auto? I thought we were done with this saving the good transmissions for the up-level engines stuff. (terrible 4 spd vs 6 spd).
    Yes it had an 8-speed Aisin. I have to imagine the 1.5L will eventually get the 9-speed. Keep in mind, though, a lot of the time, the engines that benefit from the extra gear ratios are the ones with enough torque to handle the taller overdrives. So its very possible that, at least at this time, the 1.5L has better drivability with a 6-speed compared to a 9-speed. I'd rather they do it that way, than releasing vehicles like those that have an I-4 and the ZF 9-speed, where the trans works best with the up-level engines, and terribly with the low-end ones.

Can't wait to try it out in the 2nd-gen CTD!
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

Resident Tater Salad

Maybe it wasn't ready in time for the mass production of the 1.5's. Or will have different ratios than the rest. I do hope that it doesn't spent the rest of its production cycle with the lesser automatic though - the ratios in 4,5, and 6 are wide.

Unlike the terrible Tigershark, the SGE engines have tons and tons of torque at the low end of the rev range though - I think the current Malibu knocks home full throttle shifts around the 5k mark, even lower than the LE2 in the Cruze.
    Merc6 likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Super Moderator
    Couldn't imagine shifting that much if they made a manual! LOL

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Couldn't imagine shifting that much if they made a manual! LOL
    The Vette has 7 Manual forward gears. As eco as I try to be I'd catch a cramp in 4 blocks.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
    The Vette has 7 Manual forward gears. As eco as I try to be I'd catch a cramp in 4 blocks.
    Porsche too. As I understand it, 6 and 7 are pretty tall highway loafing gears.
    Merc6 likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Maybe it wasn't ready in time for the mass production of the 1.5's. Or will have different ratios than the rest. I do hope that it doesn't spent the rest of its production cycle with the lesser automatic though - the ratios in 4,5, and 6 are wide.

Unlike the terrible Tigershark, the SGE engines have tons and tons of torque at the low end of the rev range though - I think the current Malibu knocks home full throttle shifts around the 5k mark, even lower than the LE2 in the Cruze.
    More than likely yeah, timing was probably a key here, maybe final calibration work.

And the Tigershark is an absolutely god-awful engine. Taking the 2.4L World Engine, which was terrible, and strapping Multi-Air to the top hardly makes it any better.
    jblackburn likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

Driver's Ed
    we have a 9 speed in our Cherokee. On the highway it can give this rig with 271 HP amazing mileage. We can travel at 110km/h from Halifax to Grandfalls NB and the computer reports 7.3 L/100km. I can get it down to 6.6L at 100km/h. The range is over 700km per tank on the highway. It takes getting used to. Sometimes it starts out in 2nd gear, 1st has a really low ratio. I have never gotten into 9th yet. I was told 9th was designed for the no speed limit German Highways. It will downshift itself to slow down and maintain the cruise control. I figure most manufactures will follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by gveinot View Post
    we have a 9 speed in our Cherokee. On the highway it can give this rig with 271 HP amazing mileage. We can travel at 110km/h from Halifax to Grandfalls NB and the computer reports 7.3 L/100km. I can get it down to 6.6L at 100km/h. The range is over 700km per tank on the highway. It takes getting used to. Sometimes it starts out in 2nd gear, 1st has a really low ratio. I have never gotten into 9th yet. I was told 9th was designed for the no speed limit German Highways. It will downshift itself to slow down and maintain the cruise control. I figure most manufactures will follow suit.
    9th gear on the ZF 9-speed generally will not be engaged unless you are coasting down a hill.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.