The Chevy Bolt is a Pricing Paradox for Dealers

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Chevy Bolt is a Pricing Paradox for Dealers

1st Gear

The Chevy Bolt is a Pricing Paradox for Dealers

Available in just seven states so far, some dealers are already offering deep discounts on the Chevy Bolt, while others are marking up prices in order to take advantage of early exuberance for GM’s latest battery electric vehicle.

The pricing disparity isn’t even happening across state lines, dealers separated by mere miles are attempting to undercut one another–in SoCal price differences of nearly $5,000 have been observed within a 5 mile radius–as they battle for a small pool of early adopters.

Read more about The Chevy Bolt is a Pricing Paradox for Dealers at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

So the Bolt is currently a "compliance car".
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    So the Bolt is currently a "compliance car".
    I think the Bolt is stunning and would love one except the Compliance car concept makes one wonder if GM is really committed to this technology. Then there's the Tax Credit which would never apply to someone like me, heck I could plunk down the full amount of the car if... the Tax Credit would apply to me, if it was discounted $5000 + not inflated, I had a place to plug into 230 volts or 120 for hours, if the range reached even further (its almost 237 miles to my next offramp here in the Desert), and if the Bolt proved itself which is still somewhat unknown? Plus it looks like it would cost about $10 to charge @ the public stations when empty. I think Chevy Guy did the math and it might take years to offset these costs. As it is now I am only using a tank of Gas in the CRUZE every month or two which is amazing!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    What's amazing is that people over on the gm-volt.com forum are saying that they aren't aware of anyone getting close to the $5,000 off MSRP before the tax credit. About $3,000 before the tax credit is about as high as I've seen it mentioned over there.

The $7,500 federal tax credit is worked into the price of the lease for everyone, excluding your income. However, if you buy it outright then you have to pay at least $7,500 in Federal taxes to see the credit. For some including retiree's they probably wouldn't have enough income.

It's early yet, but most GEN1 Volt people actually leased and then called the bank a month or two before their final payment was to be made and negotiated a buy out price. From what I read many banks are willing to do this.

A GEN 1 Volt when it first came out was $44,000. Many took a 3 year lease. At $300 per month that's $10,800 in payments. They are getting bank offers to buy a 3 year Volt from their leasing company for $10,000 to $12,000. This makes the lease look like a sweet way to go.

This is only because the banks are lowering the buy out prices. Due to low demand and low gas prices. Only time will tell with the BOLT, and if there's demand then the banks won't be bargaining with people on their buyout prices.
    How to add OEM Factory Heated Seats to a Cloth LT
    Hidden Content
    2012 Cruze LT, 1.4L, AT 58,000 Miles as of 12/16

Previous Rides
    2002 Intrigue 3.5L,LX5, AT 135,000- Owned for 10 years.. PM for Intrigue help. P1811 also a problem with this car.
    2000 Intrigue 3.5L, LX5, AT, 89,000- Owned for 12 years.. Dreaded P1811 killed this transmission.

Interesting that the Leasing company would get the $7500, thus the lease payments on the Bolt are reflected with the credit. Seems that Dealers in Los Angeles are discounting $5000 or more while some just located miles away are tacking on an extra $5000 to the Sticker. Anyway you look at it, if you are purchasing the Bolt and able to deduct it on your taxes or leasing it with the credit factored in, how can you lose with one of these? I assume the only unknown factor(s) would be how much Electric it will consume and the overall cost, how it holds up on extended drives and the reliability over time. From reading the A.G. article there are concerns as Mike pointed out that the Bolt might be merely a "Compliance Car" so other product lines can be expanded.

BOOOOST!
    It doesn't matter how low they price it.

I drove 265 miles for work today. I'll stick with my hatch.

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateNYBill View Post
    I drove 265 miles for work today. I'll stick with my hatch.
    There's that. I didn't save it, but apparently in my area, some people bought an electric car when they knew they didn't have a home to charge it in. They counted on the charging stations at shopping malls. But they're finding them in use or out of service. So they end up selling.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Cruze View Post
    Interesting that the Leasing company would get the $7500, thus the lease payments on the Bolt are reflected with the credit. Seems that Dealers in Los Angeles are discounting $5000 or more while some just located miles away are tacking on an extra $5000 to the Sticker. Anyway you look at it, if you are purchasing the Bolt and able to deduct it on your taxes or leasing it with the credit factored in, how can you lose with one of these? I assume the only unknown factor(s) would be how much Electric it will consume and the overall cost, how it holds up on extended drives and the reliability over time. From reading the A.G. article there are concerns as Mike pointed out that the Bolt might be merely a "Compliance Car" so other product lines can be expanded.
    Since the leasing company is buying it, technically, they get the tax credit. If your income doesn't qualify you for the whole shebang, then leasing is the best way to go.
    2017 Cruze Hatch LT w/RS manual | Cajun Red Tintcoat
    Metro Detroit

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I work at a Chevrolet dealer; let me know if I can help!

248-882-0883 | Hidden Content

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.