2018 Chevrolet Equinox Review

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Review

1st Gear

2018 Chevrolet Equinox Review

At new-vehicle launches it’s always a bit suspicious when an automaker spends more time hyping the drive route or how scenic the lunch stop is than they do about the product they’re introducing. Are they trying to draw attention away from a substandard product?

Indeed, Chevrolet seemed proud of both the area roads and local cuisine we would experience in the Carolinas (yes, both of ‘em) when they invited AutoGuide.com down to Dixie for a taste of their completely overhauled 2018 Equinox.

Strangely, there was no technical lecture or in-depth walkaround of this new compact crossover; the only formal presentation we got was a marketing spiel that was relegated to the second day. Initially it seemed like Chevy was being a bit evasive about their latest crossover model.

But intended or not, this apparent caginess was completely unnecessary. The new Equinox is a solid product and something they have every right to be proud of.
    Read more about the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Review at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    The new Equinox is an extraordinary improvement over the previous model. I can provide a walk around if anybody is interested.
    2017 Cruze Hatch LT w/RS manual | Cajun Red Tintcoat
    Metro Detroit

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I work at a Chevrolet dealer; let me know if I can help!

248-882-0883 | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by EricSmit View Post
    The new Equinox is an extraordinary improvement over the previous model. I can provide a walk around if anybody is interested.
    Diesel availabilty still slated for late July/August?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat385B View Post
    Diesel availabilty still slated for late July/August?
    For now, yeah, subject to change at any moment. :P
    Metro Detroit

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    I really dislike the wheels. It looks like a Pontiac Aztek with less plastic in my eyes.

Aztek.jpg
    Current vehicles:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Previous vehicles:
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
    2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)

Resident Tater Salad

Too bad this didn't come out earlier - my sister was just in the market for a crossover, but I could in no way have recommended the outgoing Equinox.

This looks very competitive with the likes of the CR-V, Escape, and CX-5. I don't know why people actually spend money on RAV4s; the one I had as a rental was just terrible.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Too bad this didn't come out earlier - my sister was just in the market for a crossover, but I could in no way have recommended the outgoing Equinox.

This looks very competitive with the likes of the CR-V, Escape, and CX-5. I don't know why people actually spend money on RAV4s; the one I had as a rental was just terrible.
    The new Equinox is just as big a jump from the outgoing as the second gen to the first gen Cruze.
    Metro Detroit

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post

I am glad we bought our 2015 RAV4 xle and I would buy another one in a heartbeat (wife's car). It doesn't ride like a car but we had it two years now and had zero recalls and zero issues with it and that is the main reason we bought ours. I didn't expect it to ride like a car since it is an suv. The motor is a tank on the thing and it will probably be in our family for a long time and will probably get handed to our daughter in time. We were going to hand my cruze to our daughter but since I am on our fourth water pump in 55,000 miles and I want to sleep at night I will probably just keep the cruze for my go to work car and my wife will get the next new car again. Shoot if our 2007 mazda 3s touring keeps trucking along without any problems I may reclaim that from our daughter who drives it now and trade our cruze in since we would get more for it since it is newer and I would use the mazda 3s for my go to work car. zoom-zoom

With that said I think in normal mode the transmission shifts terrible on the RAV4. When I drive it I always put it in sport mode and it rides like it is meant to ride IMO. The transmission also has an eco mode but we never use it and I am guessing it would be worse than normal mode. Cruise control also leaves something to be desired on the RAV4 but that may be that I just haven't used it enough since I don't drive it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by EricSmit View Post
    The new Equinox is just as big a jump from the outgoing as the second gen to the first gen Cruze.
    Power train maybe, but design heck nope. Don't get me wrong, the new Cruze looks good, but it went from an "aggressive and pissed off" look to a "hey look mom I got a Civic!"
    MOTO13, IndyDiesel and hbilow like this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by jblackburn Hidden Content
    I always find it funny that you can find sports fans all over the country that universally hate:
    -The Cowboys
    -The Patriots
    -Duke

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by jsusanka View Post
    I am glad we bought our 2015 RAV4 xle and I would buy another one in a heartbeat (wife's car). It doesn't ride like a car but we had it two years now and had zero recalls and zero issues with it and that is the main reason we bought ours. I didn't expect it to ride like a car since it is an suv. The motor is a tank on the thing and it will probably be in our family for a long time and will probably get handed to our daughter in time. We were going to hand my cruze to our daughter but since I am on our fourth water pump in 55,000 miles and I want to sleep at night I will probably just keep the cruze for my go to work car and my wife will get the next new car again. Shoot if our 2007 mazda 3s touring keeps trucking along without any problems I may reclaim that from our daughter who drives it now and trade our cruze in since we would get more for it since it is newer and I would use the mazda 3s for my go to work car. zoom-zoom

With that said I think in normal mode the transmission shifts terrible on the RAV4. When I drive it I always put it in sport mode and it rides like it is meant to ride IMO. The transmission also has an eco mode but we never use it and I am guessing it would be worse than normal mode. Cruise control also leaves something to be desired on the RAV4 but that may be that I just haven't used it enough since I don't drive it daily.
    We've got a Camry with the 2.5. The powertrain is barely suited to carting that car and a load of people around. The cruise control being terrible is a normal Toyota thing - every single one I've driven was stupid about hills, often slamming on the gas for even a 1 MPH loss in speed, then overshooting the set speed. Road noise and ride quality is bad in the Camry (SE) too. Transmission shifting improved after the 3rd or 4th transmission update, and I think 's about to take out a torque converter shortly.

Maybe they've retuned it since 2013, but the RAV4 was constantly hunting gears, lugging, downshifting, shifting up too early, and overall just felt massively underpowered and too heavy for the 2.5. Every small molehill at highway speed elicted at least a 6-5 downshift, sometimes a massively jerky 6-4 downshift. At the same time, it feels chintzy, it's loud going down the road, the ride is Jeep-like bouncy, and it has nowhere near the level of interior quality as others in its class (with the exception of maybe the Rogue).

The powertrain and chassis refinement in the NX200 makes the RAV4 completely livable. It's a shame because the Highlander shows they can build a pretty competent SUV under the Toyota nameplate. The RAV4, IMO, never "grew up" like the rest of the class around it did from the cute ute days of the early 00's.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.