Things you miss when you moved on from your Cruze.

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Things you miss when you moved on from your Cruze.

Merc6 is online now [OP]
    Super Moderator

Things you miss when you moved on from your Cruze.

There isn't that many things I miss besides all the friends I made in the service department so I kinda had to sit down and consciously make a list. I've been back since then to take someone who recently got a car from there to pick up some paperwork. The Cruze I wanted last January and the Malibu I tested last month were still there surprisingly. The intent of this post was the grass is not always greener on the other side. Even if you jumped out of a L Cruze and into a 745Li there is still going to be something to nit pick. I didn't say I miss the friends I made here because, I haven't really left at all.

For me the things I kinda miss are (in no real order):

1. Flick the key to start. At times I forget this and short stroke the key in the Accord. So far I kinda un programmed myself of this.
    2. Self closing doors. The doors on the Cruze were self closing as in all you had to do is get in and sit down and the car did the rest. If you didn't get in all the way your ankles would find out what I meant by self closing really fast.
    3. Fuel door is just press to open. 1st 3 fill ups in the Accord I'd get the pump all ready and forget I have to go back in the car and open it from the floor lever.
    4. MPG. MPG new till before I started having issues in the Cruze I was never below 29 mpg. I had to work my *** off to get a 15 MPG. In the Accord I could hypermile and get a 37.9 MPG then do 1 single 10 second 4th gear downshift to pass 2 cars that are going well under the limit and drop down to 21.4 MPG and ruin the entire tank MPG no mater what I did. Sometimes you will see me fuel up just to go back and try again.
    5. Digital speed. I been so used to that digital speed I never ever ever looked at the analog. Actually the steering wheel blocked my view of the analog after 40 mph where in the Accord it's center of the dash.
    6. TPMS pressures each tire. It was reassuring to see the pressures granted they were never right and never the same for each tire setting off OCD. Instead I get a light and a button to reset them.
    7. Leather covered plastic shift knob. One in the Accord is a really fancy weighted metal with some leather splashed on just enough to make it look upscale. Anyone who has had a metal shift knob knows how fun that is for me in 10 degree weather. I'm gonna find a cover for it so I'm not wearing 1 glove 1st half of the trip in to work.
    8. Tweeters. My car has 4 speakers, 2 on the door and 2 on the rear deck. The drivers door one is useless until I crank it up past 16. I can just snag the panels from the upper trims to add tweeters in the factory spots on the door and figure out the wiring later. I haven't listed it as a mod on my thread as I'm not that serious of it just yet and the listed items are more realistic.
    9. Complaining about how many times I go back in for the most randomest issue nobody has ever had in the history of CT. Since I got my car I haven't been back besides the 1 time the dealer said he was gonna take a look in the used car trash bin for 9th gen all season mats for me. Honda service waiting room looked so elegant with the concierge, starbucks coffee, a smoking patio area, netflix, WiFi and is open to 3 AM but I have yet found a reason to go back in the 2200 miles I have on the car. My Chevy dealer wasn't as pretty looking but it had way more amenities like a movie theatre, nail salon, child waiting area and a few other things. The old dealership they left behind had even better stuff to add like a restaurant and the child area was a huge slide/maze/ball pit setup 10 times better than the Chuck E. Cheese nearby.
    10. OCD wouldn't let me stop at 9 so cheaper parts. Tires for this car will cost me even more than the overpriced LRR the Eco comes with no matter what. Snow tires, yeah I can only downgrade from 19 to 18 since the front brakes won't let me go any lower a size. Price of the Eco alloy is about the ball park of one of my 19s if you heavily relied on the dealer parts department. Online vendors and classifieds of appropriate forums will make that number change quite a bit.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
    ...I didn't say I miss the friends I made here because, I haven't really left at all.
    Damnright!
    Last edited by BrandoFisher117; 01-10-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: forgot emoji
    chevrasaki likes this.
    BB-8 - 2012 LTZ RS - Silver Ice Metallic
    -VG Shark Fin Antenna

Hidden Content

Your #1 point gets me all the time when I go into other cars..
    Merc6 likes this.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by jblackburn Hidden Content
    I always find it funny that you can find sports fans all over the country that universally hate:
    -The Cowboys
    -The Patriots
    -Duke

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I enjoy driving the Cruze simply because it feels more "tight" than my other three cars. Obviously the Cavalier is from 1998, has 254k miles and never was what I'd call "well-built" to begin with. The Camaro is 35 years old and has a good 2-3 degrees of play off center before the steering actually does anything. The Cobalt handles significantly better (since that's what I built it for) - but being so far modified, you "feel" it.

Having the backup camera and the touchscreen is a huge thing I always miss in my other cars, as well (though the Cobalt will eventually get the latter).
    Merc6 likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

Resident Tater Salad

I have definitely done the flick to start thing on other cars. Whenever I visit my parents, we have to shuffle cars around a lot - on my mothers Accord, I never seem to hold the key long enough and have to do a 2nd start attempt. They just replaced the battery after 8 years, so I bet that will help.

Can confirm on the MPG front - I miss how ridiculously easy MPG came in the other car. I think I need to get past break in and winter to really assess. So far I'm averaging about 30; 33 was easy in the other car, and would drop to 32 in winter. Heavy city driving bias on the black one; the blue one has done a lot of highway trips, but also a lot of city driving. I averaged 34-35 with the LT rentals, so I'm not sure if it's just the heavy wheels and tires or winter/winter fuel. Owning something else would probably massively disappoint me in this department.

The other thing I miss when I drive a N/A 4 cylinder or automatic car is just matting the pedal in 6th to pass or change lanes. The 2012, despite being a slowpoke, was right there in the meat of its torque band at highway speeds, which made picking up speed without downshifting easy.
    Merc6 and chevrasaki like this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
    There isn't that many things I miss besides all the friends I made in the service department so I kinda had to sit down and consciously make a list. I've been back since then to take someone who recently got a car from there to pick up some paperwork. The Cruze I wanted last January and the Malibu I tested last month were still there surprisingly. The intent of this post was the grass is not always greener on the other side. Even if you jumped out of a L Cruze and into a 745Li there is still going to be something to nit pick. I didn't say I miss the friends I made here because, I haven't really left at all.

For me the things I kinda miss are (in no real order):

1. Flick the key to start. At times I forget this and short stroke the key in the Accord. So far I kinda un programmed myself of this.
    2. Self closing doors. The doors on the Cruze were self closing as in all you had to do is get in and sit down and the car did the rest. If you didn't get in all the way your ankles would find out what I meant by self closing really fast.
    3. MPG. MPG new till before I started having issues in the Cruze I was never below 29 mpg. I had to work my *** off to get a 15 MPG. In the Accord I could hypermile and get a 37.9 MPG then do 1 single 10 second 4th gear downshift to pass 2 cars that are going well under the limit and drop down to 21.4 MPG and ruin the entire tank MPG no mater what I did. Sometimes you will see me fuel up just to go back and try again.
    4. TPMS pressures each tire. It was reassuring to see the pressures granted they were never right and never the same for each tire setting off OCD. Instead I get a light and a button to reset them.
    5. Leather covered plastic shift knob. One in the Accord is a really fancy weighted metal with some leather splashed on just enough to make it look upscale. Anyone who has had a metal shift knob knows how fun that is for me in 10 degree weather. I'm gonna find a cover for it so I'm not wearing 1 glove 1st half of the trip in to work.
    I have to deal with #1 every time I drive my wife's Solara.

Other things I like -

• Cruise control - the Cruze has the best cruise control I've ever used, even to the extent that it seems to predict hills.
    • 40+ MPG combined over the life of the car.
    • Really long highway tank range, even when I'm not trying for range.
    • Digital water temperature
    • I use the analog speedometer
    • Lumbar support (I added to both front seats)
    • Manual transmission - I learned to drive in a manual and then drove automatic transmission mini-vans for 20 years while raising my kids. Manuals are a dying breed.
    Merc6 likes this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

The one thing that drives me crazy when I drive a lot of other cars is not having automatic headlights. It's beyond me how any vehicle doesn't have automatic headlights. I think even a base model Spark comes with automatic headlights.

The other thing is that I love having a manual. I can't stand driving any automatic really that's not a 4 speed. With my Cruze when I want to pass I just downshift to where I want it, then when I pass it just goes. I can't stand that floor it and 5 seconds later it downshifts to where it needs to be nonsense.
    obermd, Merc6 and dhpnet like this.
    Current- 2014 Red Hot Cruze 1LT RS 6M
    Past- 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

Resident Tater Salad

The other thing is that I love having a manual. I can't stand driving any automatic really that's not a 4 speed. With my Cruze when I want to pass I just downshift to where I want it, then when I pass it just goes. I can't stand that floor it and 5 seconds later it downshifts to where it needs to be nonsense.
    Exactly that drives me crazy with our Camry. It fumbles around for gears often - trying to keep revs as low as possible and at times refusing to downshift. Floor it and it will think about it, drop gears, sometimes drop another gear, and then after a 1/2 second delay, ramp on the power. Makes it very annoying when you try to get around a slow-moving car into fast-moving traffic. I don't really understand why the programming is so terrible, considering the 4 and 5-speed Toyotas (V6's, though) I've driven had excellent transmission logic.

Stomp on it in the 2016 Cruze and it drops gears and picks up instantly. 95% of the time, the transmission knows exactly what it's doing, and that was a large part of my decision to go auto this time. It too is busy and likes to run low revs, but the engine is torqey at the low end, and it will drop gears when you really need it to without screaming. I hated the way the 1st gen auto went about its business.

As busy as the 6 speeds are, I wonder how much the 8-9 speed autos are shifting in normal city driving. At the same time, going back to a 4-speed auto is kinda weird for me. Driving my S70 again, where I know exactly where the shift points are, it just seems like the gears are soooooo long.
    Merc6, jmlo96 and BrandoFisher117 like this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    As busy as the 6 speeds are, I wonder how much the 8-9 speed autos are shifting in normal city driving.
    My dad has a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the ZF 8 speed. Its not a bad transmission but I think it could be programmed better. Its very responsive but it still seems like it takes a long time to downshift 4 gears when you want to pass. It also is very annoying and will not downshift to first unless you come to complete stop. It tries to start in second then abruptly downshifts into first.
    Current- 2014 Red Hot Cruze 1LT RS 6M
    Past- 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    I don't really understand why the programming is so terrible, considering the 4 and 5-speed Toyotas (V6's, though) I've driven had excellent transmission logic.
    The 5-speed auto in my sister-in-law's former car ('09 Pontiac Vibe) was quite possibly one of the most wretched transmissions I've ever experienced in my life. Multiple times it tried to kill us by simply not having a clue what gear to shift in, eventually deciding, and taking the better part of a century to downshift there.

The 4-speed auto (4T45E) in my Cobalt is tuned well (Trifecta engine and trans tune), and first and second gear are **** near perfect to make the car a lot more competitive than it should be. But as soon as you hit third, that's it, since that's 1:1. But it doesn't have that many gears to choose from - so it always knows where to be.

The Aisin 6-speed in the CTD is pretty good, usually, but we've had plenty of occasions where (generally in the process of passing someone in oncoming) the trans simply just doesn't downshift - even with your foot planted so hard into the floor you're worried it might go through. Can be pretty scary as a car is coming the opposite direction - have had to abort a couple times because of it.
    Merc6 likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.