Drove a new Fusion today...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Drove a new Fusion today...

Resident Tater Salad

Drove a new Fusion today...

I really like it. Especially the 2.0 Ecoboost...it's really got some pep under the hood. It's not on level with a V6 in others these days (it feels like a V6 maybe 5-6 years ago), but it's not bad at all.

Apparently these things are selling like hotcakes; they can't keep them on the lot long enough. I can see why. It's one of the sexiest car designs I've seen on something under $60,000 in a long, long time.

I was concerned with testing out what will probably be the volume-seller 1.6 Ecoboost though, and finally found one on the lot. The car is worlds above the old 2012 Fusion in terms of the interior and quality it seems to be built with - much like GM has done in recent years (like with the Cruze). The seats are nice, the dash is well-laid out. Lots of storage pockets and things everywhere. The trunk is HUGE, and there are nice rear air vents in the back seat.

The 1.6 engine has a brief moment of lag taking off from a stop, but after that you don't notice that it's turbocharged. It's a bit noisy and thrashy though when pushed; I feel like this engine was better isolated noise-wise in the Escape I drove not too long ago. Part of this is that the transmission likes to let it rev to 4000+ RPM pretty easily to compensate for its small size. The 2.0 seemed to like to stay under 3000 RPM when it could. But either engine has pretty good pep for driving around town, and even with the air conditioner running, neither felt strained.

The road manners are FANTASTIC - we have absolutely terrible roads around here, and this car rides as well as the Cruze and better than the 2012 Camry and Malibu in the same class. Handling? Amazing. It's a big, heavy car, and you can tell that to an extent, but it grips the road phenomenally around exit ramps and such.

I don't like the Sync/Nav system in Fords - never have. But I think it could be gotten used to. It's certainly better than it used to be.

Overall, for around $25K, I think I'd be inclined to buy this over the Accord, Sonata, Altima, or Malibu. Plus I mean...****. It looks great.
    Last edited by jblackburn; 11-12-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Patman and ErikBEggs like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Nice to know that American car companies are building import killers. GM needs to not rest on its laurels.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

I saw one on the road a few days ago and I thought "What is that?". The exterior (I only saw the front because I blew past it on the highway ) really gave off a luxury feel. My dad absolutely hates his 2012 fusion, Buzzy motor, poor handling, and very loud road noise. I'd go take a look at one but I'm tired of dealing with Car Salesmen...

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    I saw one on the road a few days ago and I thought "What is that?". The exterior (I only saw the front because I blew past it on the highway ) really gave off a luxury feel. My dad absolutely hates his 2012 fusion, Buzzy motor, poor handling, and very loud road noise. I'd go take a look at one but I'm tired of dealing with Car Salesmen...
    I know how he feels. When I test drove the old one, my impression was that the old 2.5 was underpowered and LOUD, and the old Fusion just felt cheap. It felt like a Corolla/Camry from 2007-2011.

Nice to know that American car companies are building import killers. GM needs to not rest on its laurels.
    I did like the old Malibu, if it had had a nicer interior. It had nice road manners and a decent engine/transmission. The new one? Blech.
    Last edited by jblackburn; 11-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

How much is a fully loaded Fusion?

The front end reminded me of a new Jag at first glance, not a bad thing to think at first look.

It does have a sexy design to it, I believe the guy who designed it use to work for Maserati and I think it shows. I am not crazy however, about the interior while it is well laid out I think its a little bland. Overall great car and I would consider buying one.
    2012 LT2 Black Granite Metalic: K&N Drop Filter, Tint 38%, Blacked Out Bowtie, Stubby Antenna, Custom Stripes/Graphics, Custom MGP Caliper Covers. XZE Bulbs, LED Bulb Conversion.
    Coming MODS: Tune, Wheels, Harness Upgrade (In Progress), Who knows...we shall see!

"Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional"

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by 2013Cruze View Post
    How much is a fully loaded Fusion?
    $32K. That buys you every option, AWD, and the 2.0 liter Ecoboost. Non-AWD is about $30K.

I'm not sure how much the hybrid is. I hate hybrids and have no interest in them. 47 mpg combined is impressive though, I suppose.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by rmass09 View Post
    The front end reminded me of a new Jag at first glance, not a bad thing to think at first look.
    I think it looks like an Aston Martin

iCruze2 likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

The hybrid starts at ~28k before you start with packages, started to configure one but stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    I think it looks like an Aston Martin
    Very true now that I see them side by side
    Last edited by rmass09; 11-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.