Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Any E85 users?

Tags
e85 users
12K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Agastya 
#1 ·
Looking for feed back on people using E85. Mainly if there are issues with anything on the fuel system that it is not prepared to run alcohol and gas mileage. I understand the great performance increase it gives you. As it is equal to 105oct and no carbon build up. Plus it is forgiving on the air/fuel ratio you run vs if it was gas.

Also I live in Wisconsin so I, like many other states, get 3 blends of this thru out the year. E70(winter), E74(fall/spring), E79(summer). Wondering what tune it comes with when you order it because knowing this will greatly effect the a/f ratio. Plus I assume its mandatory to run a wideband?

Thanks in advance for your input.

#4 ·
I'm probably buying the kit this weekend. :)

ICruze2, hows this tune? Is it different than the standard Trifecta tune?

#18 · (Edited)
I had Vince run me a tune for it September 2011, when I ran 15.3, I haven't run it since. He told me the computer was showing me hp/tq numbers in the 190 range. This was before my axle-back/silencer delete and my fmic. I am planning to get the larger injectors so I can run a full tank of e85 and I believe I can break the 15 mark, hopefully with a 14.8...wishful thinking I know. I have a 1lt/rs automatic

and yes, it dropped me 3 tenths in the 1/4 on 1/3 of a tank of e85 and 2/3 92

#5 ·
A lot more Sonics have bought the E85 stuff than Cruze guys, and they all love it. One guy went from running mid 15s on his 93 tune to running low low 15s on E85, but with a worse 60ft time. I'd say he'd be easily in the 14s if he could get his 60ft down with the added power. 93 tune he was running like a 2.0-2.1 60ft and I think his best on E85 was 2.4

#6 · (Edited)
Are there any E85 vs. 93 charts you can show Jerry?

Is the 190hp/220tq numbers at the wheels or crank? Just curious, in case I should keep an eye on the clutch in case I get a little carried away with this tune in the empty mall parking lot covered in a blanket of snow. :)

Also, I wonder. If E85 burns hotter than gasoline, I wonder if this will help the warm-up times of the Cruze to get warm air for those frigid mornings!

#8 ·
E85 burns cooler which is why you can run more boost/timing and a lot less prone to detonation (KR). I usually recommend to others not running it in the winter because of the longer hard starts.
With the 93oct tune I'll see the car maybe just leave the bottom of the temp gauge after a complete 20min warm up on remote start. (I know you hyper milers are hating me for that statement lol)

#7 ·
I try to tell people how magical this stuff is when I tune/mod there 3800 and I can say its 25-35hp over your best dyno on 93. This application I could see 15-20hp over the 93 tune. But like I asked what about adjusting for E70,E74,E79 every season change?

#9 ·
I will be getting e85 at some point in the near future. I won't install until a little later I plan on getting the fuel sensor to have the auto-adjusting ECU.

To answer your question in the OP, the Cruze fuel system is completely fine on e85. You just need the tune and injectors to run it.

#14 ·
The tune itself has options of flex fuel. I don't know if this is a general base computer plat form used on other vehicles or it was considered to run in the Cruze.

#13 ·
The engine itself is E85 rated. It's the fuel system, including injectors that is rated only to E15.

#25 ·
Well you'll see me in spring time with an E85 kit order.

but still no feed back on mileage and what the tune involves when seasons change. WB mandatory?

#28 ·
Yeah, I had my E85 knowledge a**-backwards. :)

I can only rely on E85, sadly. It's bad enough my closest E85 station is 40 miles away...

#29 ·
Does anyone know if the standard spark plugs are ok to use on E85 or do you need to change them?
If you need to change them, what are the best ones to use and what gap?
Cheers, Buk. :question:

#30 ·
There may be a couple of issues at work here:

1) When some people switch to E85, they also turn up turbo boost, compression or other performance factors. With higher performance usually comes a recommendation to reduce the plug heat range.

2) E85 burns cleaner than gas, so there isn't as much need to keep the plug hot. And/or a switch to E85 can sometimes mean running a bit leaner/hotter, so a cooler plug can be tolerated.

3) Some have claimed a change in plug heat range helps certain characteristics...idle, cold starting, etc.

I can't vouch for the starting as I haven't had reason to change the plug heat range...beyond running a cooler plug for the turbo. My general thought:

For a stock engine, the stock plug should be good on E85 or gas. I don't think the OEM's have any different plug for flex fuel vs gasoline - and they sure don't require a plug change when you fill up with a different fuel. So overall, as long as you aren't detonating on the hot end or carbon fouling on the cold end, the plug heat range should be OK.

For a modified engine, I would adjust the plug heat range the same as indicated for gas...ie "one heat range colder per 100hp added power" or what ever rule is prevalent in your community.

As far as starting, idling, etc - IMHO, all the plug heat range dictates is the length of the insulator in contact with the body of the spark plug. More contact means an easier path to the relatively cool cylinder head and a cooler plug. Less contact means a hotter plug. It has nothing to do with the voltage, firing characteristics, etc. So there should be minimal, if any, changes in actual start/idle characteristics. All plugs start out 'cold' in a cold engine.

There 'may' be some slight benefit due to the small electrode diameter of the platinum / iridium plugs (regardless of heat range). This requires less voltage to fire and should fire just a bit sooner which would be equivalent to a slight advance in timing over a stock plug. At the same time, there is no performance benefit in running hotter/colder plugs...you're really just trying to balance detonation and carbon fouling.

Overall, I would say run what ever plug you would run on gas. E85 has less tendency to detonate and less tendency to carbon foul. So if you are not detonating or carbon fouling, the heat range would be pretty good.

#31 ·
Thanks Invierno, I will stick with the stock ones but I think I'll put in some fresh ones as I have done about 15k with the Trifecta tune in! As far as the gap goes stay the same? Running .028", I have tried upto .035" but I kept getting spark blowout until I got back down to .028"

Cheers, Buk.

#32 ·
Modern engines are designed to pretty much last 30k or 60k without a spark plug change. Obviously if you feel the gap isn't correct and/or are upgrading more power/fuel and possibly requiring new plugs in the process, I don't see a need to replace spark plugs with only 15k miles. If we all did that, it would be expensive to change the plugs that often.

#34 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think I might change the plugs I have regapped them soo many times I'm worried the ground will snap off!! LOL
Cheers, Buk.

#35 ·
Thank you guys for the info and direction on plugs. Just out of curiosity anyone know what was the difference in boost level for the "low power" and "high power" E85 tune? Jerry?

#36 ·
Not sure about road cars, but in Australia the V8 super cars are using E85 and in endurance racing they have to make twice as many fuel stops than they did on regular petrol. They do make a bit more power though.

#37 ·
I dont know why us aussies have followed the americans in terms of this e85 setup. I thought by going 100kw to about 145 kw would attract people or tuners in Australia to do this.

But one thing I would like to see from BNR in particular or anyone with this e85 tune is to post some videos of zero to hundred km with the e85 setup. There was so much hype about it but no video clips as such

#38 ·
would love to run e85 but the nearest station is in DC. 50 miles away! I would like to run this instead of water/meth cause vince said there is no way to turn off the water meth once tuned for it you have to use it all the time.
could some one explaine e85 for dummies!

Reactions: kfr291
#39 ·
Just like global warming, "POLITICS". First they get you to use it, then they tell you they have to tax it because you use too much. And then back this up with some BS reason why they have to reduce the use of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.