"sri" - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "sri"

Driver's Ed
    Ok guys heres my issue... I purchased a injen intake $220.00 of ebay...installed the intake in the sri verson because i couldnt justify taking the bumper off a car with 1200 miles and risk breaking something.with that said after driving the car i started to notice that hills i could usually go up in sixth gear of my manual eco, i was now having to downshift into 5th... The noise was there,but the power wasnt, it was like the engine didnt have the power so i took the intake off and guess what car makes it up the same hill with no slow down in sixth gear with the stock system re-installed.. Read in here removing and bypassing the resonator would allow me to hear the turbo and bov guess what did that and cant hear anything windows down or up so whats the deal.. Talked to brian at vermont and he specifically stated that I should send the intake back and put the k and n typhoon on as it seemed as though injen rushed the production on their intake system.. What am i looking for well ceartainly less power is not my option i do not wish to sacrifice power for a cool sound of the turbo,,,however i thought these intakes were supposed to raise hp levels not deplete them..and before you ask-yes i rmoved the negative battery terminal and installed everthing twice checked hoses and maf etc... This intake definatley caused my 2012 cruze eco 1.4t 6m to lose power, no questions asked hands down... If someone with true knowledge could give me some advice i would appreciate it exhaustively.. Ive put this intake on twice thinking i must have missed something etc but its an intake not a nitrous sytem that could easily be installed incorrectly... Please help because at this point im really just in disbelief and not sure what to do other than send this intake back or sell it or destroy it lol...please help thanks in advance...
    12 cruze1
    Last edited by 12CRUZE1; 01-16-2013 at 08:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Are u tuned?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    US Army Veteran - Rochester, NY | Instagram : @mastercanine
    2011 Cruze Eco 1.4T M/T
    Mods : -Trifecta Tune - Dual Borla Exhaust - Premium Aftermarket Audio System - ZZP Pillar Gauge Pod - Drop in K&N - Resonator Delete - Custom Vinyl Work (Hood, Roof, Trunk, Front/Rear Bowtie) - Interior L.E.D. Lighting (All) - Exterior L.E.D. Lighting (License plate, GlowTie) - 20% Tint All Around

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    To be honest, any of the aftermarket systems will be of higher quality than the plastic one you put together, so you can't really say that you did the same thing.

Also, the aftermarket systems are designed and tuned to run on a stock Cruze properly. Now, I haven't done this myself, but have you measured the inner diameter of the factory tube? What is the inner diameter of the tube you're using?
    I know I used "cheaper" parts to make my sri but it is very similar in shape to the k&n typhoon which uses the stock elbow, which is rubber. So yes I do feel I did the same thing. I just used my creative side rather than spending more than necessary. I do believe that there is less friction over the plastic parts than the rubber parts.
    The intake is 2.5" where the maf is located. The diameter of my tube is 3" with a 2.75" velocity tube at the maf.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by 12CRUZE1 View Post
    Ok guys heres my issue... I purchased a injen intake $220.00 of ebay...installed the intake in the sri verson because i couldnt justify taking the bumper off a car with 1200 miles and risk breaking something.with that said after driving the car i started to notice that hills i could usually go up in sixth gear of my manual eco, i was now having to downshift into 5th... The noise was there,but the power wasnt, it was like the engine didnt have the power so i took the intake off and guess what car makes it up the same hill with no slow down in sixth gear with the stock system re-installed.. Read in here removing and bypassing the resonator would allow me to hear the turbo and bov guess what did that and cant hear anything windows down or up so whats the deal.. Talked to brian at vermont and he specifically stated that I should send the intake back and put the k and n typhoon on as it seemed as though injen rushed the production on their intake system.. What am i looking for well ceartainly less power is not my option i do not wish to sacrifice power for a cool sound of the turbo,,,however i thought these intakes were supposed to raise hp levels not deplete them..and before you ask-yes i rmoved the negative battery terminal and installed everthing twice checked hoses and maf etc... This intake definatley caused my 2012 cruze eco 1.4t 6m to lose power, no questions asked hands down... If someone with true knowledge could give me some advice i would appreciate it exhaustively.. Ive put this intake on twice thinking i must have missed something etc but its an intake not a nitrous sytem that could easily be installed incorrectly... Please help because at this point im really just in disbelief and not sure what to do other than send this intake back or sell it or destroy it lol...please help thanks in advance...
    12 cruze1
    Hopefully you got a retune from Vermont Tuning when you installed the ingen, your MAF reading goes from 150g/s to 120g/s when its actually moving 150g/s. Atleast that was my problem.
    I quickly got vince to re-do my fuel maps to compensate for decreased readings.

Since the pipe is larger in diameter, the maf has less air going by the sensor, therefore it reports less even tho the same amount of air is being moved. Consequently it makes it run too lean, reducing power.

Once i got the ECP tune tho, i noticed it felt perfectly tuned at all times. No surging on hot days, 47 mpg if im taking it easy at 55mph down the roads. Honestly i don't think its reasonable to ever blame the intake unless its leaking or has a major blockage. Thats just my opinion tho...
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Manual 6
    Mods: Trifecta Tune ~22 PSI, 8-11 *Timing advance , 12:1 AFR
    Injen SRI (removed), Water/Meth 50-120 ML/min
    Turbonetics 11038-BB, 2.5 inch exaust, magnaflow muffler.

Next: Brakes that work...

Tires:
    Firehawk Wide Oval-215/60R16
    Wont rest until i reach 200 WHP

Driver's Ed
    No my car hasn't been tuned matt585! i didnt think i needed a tune to run the injen sri! do i

Driver's Ed
    hey mark thanks for the info but i dont have a tune yet all the stuff i read said i didnt need a tune for any intake system?

Duke of Oil
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoove87 View Post
    I know I used "cheaper" parts to make my sri but it is very similar in shape to the k&n typhoon which uses the stock elbow, which is rubber. So yes I do feel I did the same thing. I just used my creative side rather than spending more than necessary. I do believe that there is less friction over the plastic parts than the rubber parts.
    The intake is 2.5" where the maf is located. The diameter of my tube is 3" with a 2.75" velocity tube at the maf.

Did you have the car tuned?

If not, I can guarantee you that you're running lean. You are flowing more air than the car thinks you are. Your MAF calibration is completely screwed up. You might gain some power for running leaner at WOT, but you'll greatly increase the risk of detonation and piston damage.

That is, if your car hasn't been tuned to accept the new pipe diameter.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Duke of Oil
    Quote Originally Posted by Markj2222 View Post
    Hopefully you got a retune from Vermont Tuning when you installed the ingen, your MAF reading goes from 150g/s to 120g/s when its actually moving 150g/s. Atleast that was my problem.
    I quickly got vince to re-do my fuel maps to compensate for decreased readings.

Since the pipe is larger in diameter, the maf has less air going by the sensor, therefore it reports less even tho the same amount of air is being moved. Consequently it makes it run too lean, reducing power.

Once i got the ECP tune tho, i noticed it felt perfectly tuned at all times. No surging on hot days, 47 mpg if im taking it easy at 55mph down the roads. Honestly i don't think its reasonable to ever blame the intake unless its leaking or has a major blockage. Thats just my opinion tho...
    You'll actually make more power running leaner. The problem is your combustion chamber temps will rise and you'll increase the chance of detonation and piston damage.

How did you determine that you are moving 150g/s when your MAF reported 120g/s if your MAF sensor is what's doing the measuring? Is this compared to the stock intake? Consider that the stock intake is rather restrictive.

No my car hasn't been tuned matt585! i didnt think i needed a tune to run the injen sri! do i
    hey mark thanks for the info but i dont have a tune yet all the stuff i read said i didnt need a tune for any intake system?
    If the Injen is a different pipe diameter from the stock intake, it isn't enough of a difference to cause a consequential change in fuel trims beyond what the PCM can reasonably compensate for. I've been using the Injen intake on a stock tune for well over 10k miles now. Never threw a CEL and it idles perfectly. I've been scanning for knock every once in a while and haven't found anything out of the ordinary.

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Duke of Oil
    I figure, numbers talk, so I went out and measured it all.

Stock intake diameter is 2.55 inches, resulting in an area of 5.107 square inches.
    Injen intake diameter is more difficult to measure, because the ends are flared, so what I did is measure the thickness of the material, and the outer diameter next to the MAF sensor. The outer diameter was 2.75 inches, and the thickness was .07 inches, resulting in a diameter of 2.61 inches.

This results in an area of 5.320 square inches; a 4% increase over the stock intake.

HOWEVER, the Injen intake has a tube inside the pipe the length of the section where the MAF sensor is located. Given the amount of area that the tube's walls displace, I'd say the increase in area is closer to 2-3%, which is well within the capabilities of the stock PCM to adjust.

Markj2222, you might want to double-check those flow numbers. The very minor change in pipe diameter between the stock intake and the Injen intake do not support the significant change in flow numbers you provided.

Given my measurements, the Injen intake would be fine to use with the stock tune so long as you disconnect the battery before the install to clear the PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Did you have the car tuned?

If not, I can guarantee you that you're running lean. You are flowing more air than the car thinks you are. Your MAF calibration is completely screwed up. You might gain some power for running leaner at WOT, but you'll greatly increase the risk of detonation and piston damage.

That is, if your car hasn't been tuned to accept the new pipe diameter.
    I did have the car tuned. But until I had my tune updated for the intake, I never had a CEL code.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast