Forge BOV shims
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Forge BOV shims

Forge BOV shims

hey i see a lot of us not knowing what spring to run in the BOV. most every one is saying green but for some of us green is leaking off a lil boost at 21, 22psi. BUt i see for a lot of the other forge bov's they make shims to fine tune the spring you are using. it look like a shim with the green spring would work best for all of us tuned. Cause the yellow seems to hard and the green is just a lil soft for when we are switching over to sport mode. 1 shim would make the green spring hold to about 25psi. i am going to call them and see how to get a hold of these "shims"
    2012 Cruze 1.4T 6AT Ksport C/O, DDM Spacers, DRAG dr-19 18X8 With 235/45 18" ExtremeContact DWS, UR bars+4, Trifecta Custom Water/Meth Tune, Snow Performance water/meth, Ported Intake, Forge BPV, K&N SRI, ZZP FMIC, ZZP Big Brake Kit, Amsoil By-Pass, MagnaFlow Dual Exhaust, ZZP O2 Housing/Down Pipe, ZZP Catless Mid-Pipe, QTP Electric Cutout, AGT 6K HID's, AGT 3K HID Fog Lamps, 10% Tint, AEM Boost, AEM Wideband A/F, PS Intercooler Temp, PS EGT, AEM W/M Flow Gauges. Best Run 14.473 @ 93.89mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Good find smorey! That sounds exactly what can be the fix for the spring tuning.

Learning about my Cruze jayman4312's Avatar
    If its like other bov's i have "patched, you can just use a washer as a "shim" to firm up the spring. Keep adding washers until the bov operates properly

I would hope the shims are already tested along with the springs to give a specific boost level before blow off or valve opening. Yeah anyone can use a washer to test with but buying a shim that should already be done hence the price difference

Ok here is what they said. there is no rating for the 2 springs. the 2 springs we get is just a soft (green) and harder (yellow) no boost rating Some one already has a thread on this...but the kits they sell with the springs that are rated and shims to fine tune will not work on this BOV. but the concept is still true...by adding a small thin washer to the cup side of the bov where the spring is would make the green spring better...but we don't know what size washer ie shim will fit and we don't know if there will be any piston travel problems. in other words this would be a try it and see what happens type of thing. he did say that if the vacuum line comes from the intake to a solenoid than to the BOV that this could be the hang up. it would be better to run a straight line from the intake to the BOV...but this would take out any safety feature that gm may of built into the boost controlling side of the car. that solenoid may help with traction control and all so maybe what causing the boost to very so much on our cars. i guess at this time we need to talk with our tuning department!
    2012 Cruze 1.4T 6AT Ksport C/O, DDM Spacers, DRAG dr-19 18X8 With 235/45 18" ExtremeContact DWS, UR bars+4, Trifecta Custom Water/Meth Tune, Snow Performance water/meth, Ported Intake, Forge BPV, K&N SRI, ZZP FMIC, ZZP Big Brake Kit, Amsoil By-Pass, MagnaFlow Dual Exhaust, ZZP O2 Housing/Down Pipe, ZZP Catless Mid-Pipe, QTP Electric Cutout, AGT 6K HID's, AGT 3K HID Fog Lamps, 10% Tint, AEM Boost, AEM Wideband A/F, PS Intercooler Temp, PS EGT, AEM W/M Flow Gauges. Best Run 14.473 @ 93.89mph

Thats what I was thinking too. Time to ask the tuners on this. Hopefully one of the venders will chime in on this. Id like to leave the testing to the pros if I can.

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by smorey78 View Post
    Ok here is what they said. there is no rating for the 2 springs. the 2 springs we get is just a soft (green) and harder (yellow) no boost rating Some one already has a thread on this...but the kits they sell with the springs that are rated and shims to fine tune will not work on this BOV. but the concept is still true...by adding a small thin washer to the cup side of the bov where the spring is would make the green spring better...but we don't know what size washer ie shim will fit and we don't know if there will be any piston travel problems. in other words this would be a try it and see what happens type of thing. he did say that if the vacuum line comes from the intake to a solenoid than to the BOV that this could be the hang up. it would be better to run a straight line from the intake to the BOV...but this would take out any safety feature that gm may of built into the boost controlling side of the car. that solenoid may help with traction control and all so maybe what causing the boost to very so much on our cars. i guess at this time we need to talk with our tuning department!
    Except for the shims, all of this info is here Forge BOV/BPV: Spring Selection. I was going to try the direct vacuum tap but I wasn't aware of what the consequences would be by bypassing the solenoid. I'd rather shim it if that will actually work.

I believe that Jerry had a bout with another member who was suggesting shims so I have a feeling that it might not be recommended. We could always send the spring to a spring manufacturer and have them spec out a spring that would work for us.
    No more Cruze Now driving a 2014 Genesis Coup 3.8 R-Spec.

Autocross Champion
    I just sent an email to an old friend who is an actual engineer. He knows a lot about springs. If I get a response, I'll post what he says. I asked him how we can test the springs, what affect shimming has on the life of the spring and where we can get a spring made up.
    No more Cruze Now driving a 2014 Genesis Coup 3.8 R-Spec.

Thanks titan. A spring engineer is exactly what we need on this subject. Can the spring itself be altered im wondering, such as stretching it to loosen its strenth in the yellow spring?

Hey smorey did Forge recommend an tuning for are BPVs/BOVs from them?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast