HP Tuners vs Trifecta
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: HP Tuners vs Trifecta

HP Tuners vs Trifecta

I am going to get a tune going for my first mod. I've owned and been around tuned cars of all types for years now. I know HP Tuners is almost the go-to software for GM vehicles tuning. I have a friend who's Corvette was locally tuned by a big GM shop. I'm thinking I am going to go with him (the tuner/tuning shop) instead of ordering the Trifecta tune...

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/objections?

I thought the Trifecta was the way to go. I just don't want to do all the back and forth datalogging and emailing tunes stuff back and forth. With the local tuning shop, I'll have my car up on the dyno and monitoring all aspects i.e. timing, boost, AFRs, etc so in essence a more custom and pro-tune.

The shop hasn't tuned any Cruzes yet though. Tons of LS1 motor stuff and the Cobalt SS LNF motors. It would be probably cheaper for the dyno tune vs the $300+ for Trifecta. Only thing holding me back is the lack of experience tuning the Cruze. I trust them/him though because he's done great work on so many high power applications (i.e. recently did a twin turbo custom Viper setup with the stock motor put down 900+rwhp)

What can/can't HP Tuners do that Trifecta can/cannot?

AMERICAN INTENSE RACING

https://www.facebook.com/americanintenseracing

Clint Baxstrom - YouTube
    '12 Cruze LT 6spd - 172whp/220wtq
    '98 Honda Prelude - sold
    '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Supercharged - 248whp/316wtq - sold
    '05 Subaru WRX - 233whp/243wtq - gone
    '98 BMW 328i - DINAN tuned - ​sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I would say your on the right track
    ADDICTED TO TURBO
    http://www.facebook.com/christophercroninvfib

Retired Moderator

Custom tune will always beat a mail-order tune. I'd go with your local guy, especially if he has experience on other GM turbo engines.

He might have to download the newest beta version to tune the Cruze, though. I'd snoop around the HPTuners forums to be sure.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

I loaded the stage 0 Vtune and no changes had to be done to the tune at all.All my data log did was verify threw the GM Torque PID my power increase.I would not have any local tuneing shop do it The E 78 PCM on the cruze 1.4T is not easy to tune right.There are a lot of things involved to do a no issues tune.If you like Trifecta buy there tune !
    Stage 0 Vtuned 174HP/177TQ / Per GM Torque PID 174hp at 5527 rpm (165 lb-ft @ 5527 rpm), Peak 177TQ at 3500 rpm 19 PSI Boost. Latest Vtune 21 psi boost 178HP/201TQ / Per GM Torque PID

3rd Gear
    Don't go with the local shop. They will be "learning" how to tune the 1.4 on your car.

And how ! keep your pistons in 1 piece !!!!!!!
    Stage 0 Vtuned 174HP/177TQ / Per GM Torque PID 174hp at 5527 rpm (165 lb-ft @ 5527 rpm), Peak 177TQ at 3500 rpm 19 PSI Boost. Latest Vtune 21 psi boost 178HP/201TQ / Per GM Torque PID

True, the local shop doesn't have much knowledge of Cruzes but I trust the guy and I'll be with him on the dyno the whole time obviously. He's tuned plenty of cobalt turbos and many other successful powerful applications

besides here in CO at our altitude, pro-tuning is the way to go
    '98 Honda Prelude - sold

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Invierno View Post
    I am going to get a tune going for my first mod. I've owned and been around tuned cars of all types for years now. I know HP Tuners is almost the go-to software for GM vehicles tuning. I have a friend who's Corvette was locally tuned by a big GM shop. I'm thinking I am going to go with him (the tuner/tuning shop) instead of ordering the Trifecta tune...

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/objections?

I thought the Trifecta was the way to go. I just don't want to do all the back and forth datalogging and emailing tunes stuff back and forth. With the local tuning shop, I'll have my car up on the dyno and monitoring all aspects i.e. timing, boost, AFRs, etc so in essence a more custom and pro-tune.

The shop hasn't tuned any Cruzes yet though. Tons of LS1 motor stuff and the Cobalt SS LNF motors. It would be probably cheaper for the dyno tune vs the $300+ for Trifecta. Only thing holding me back is the lack of experience tuning the Cruze. I trust them/him though because he's done great work on so many high power applications (i.e. recently did a twin turbo custom Viper setup with the stock motor put down 900+rwhp)

What can/can't HP Tuners do that Trifecta can/cannot?

AMERICAN INTENSE RACING

https://www.facebook.com/americanintenseracing

Clint Baxstrom - YouTube
    I'm currently building my own tune with HP tuners.

I think the biggest thing HP tuners has over the other tunes out there is that you have the software on your laptop, and you can data log everything under the sun to see how you are changing things. HP tuners has a forum with a ton of info, and how-to's and you can learn to tune your own car.

If you dont like something with a mail-order you need to do the back and forth like you were talking about...say, for example, if you had an auto trans and the shifts are too firm for your liking...having HP tuners on your laptop enables you to just soften up the shifts a little...

Having said that...you need to learn how to use the software in order to do any tuning...and its not point and click simple. You can toast your engine pretty quickly. Nothing stops you from taking out every safety.

Its also very slow going and a lot of try this and that, than log, than try something else, than log again... Having said that, there are a few guys over there with a lot of experience tuning small turbo engines, and they're all pretty good with questions as long as its specifics and not just how do I tune my car.

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GM Master Tech View Post
    And how ! keep your pistons in 1 piece !!!!!!!
    Mine are in one piece. They look like the day I drove them off the lot...

I will update you guys on my dyno tune and results I'll post pics and a video if possible. I'm betting on a better custom tune than Trifecta, not to knock it or anything.
    Hoon likes this.
    '98 Honda Prelude - sold

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast