Oil infront of throttle blade!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil infront of throttle blade!

Oil infront of throttle blade!

So i took of the charge pipe off to install my methanol injection nozzle and i see oil before the throttle blade.
    Im at 37,000 Miles. 1000 Miles until my warranty is up.
    I've been keeping track of oil consumption, last time i measured 4 Liters going in, so when i saw this i replaced the oil and messured what came out. Exactly 4 liters. No smoke coming out the exhaust....

How screwed am I? I can't imagine this being normal. But this is also my first turbo vehicle...

IMG_20130124_174622.jpg
    Last edited by Markj2222; 01-24-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Manual 6
    Mods: Trifecta Tune ~22 PSI, 8-11 *Timing advance , 12:1 AFR
    Injen SRI (removed), Water/Meth 50-120 ML/min
    Turbonetics 11038-BB, 2.5 inch exaust, magnaflow muffler.

Next: Brakes that work...

Tires:
    Firehawk Wide Oval-215/60R16
    Wont rest until i reach 200 WHP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Autocross Champion
    Depends, it could be excess from the PCV (blow back, pressurizing the valve cover, etc). Do you have oil in the IC?

I am fighting the same issue with the SRT-4 right now. It's forcing air through the PCV while under boost which is causing oil to spew out the vent and into the cold side pipe before the turbo (which is causing so many other problems).
    No more Cruze Now driving a 2014 Genesis Coup 3.8 R-Spec.

Quote Originally Posted by titan2782 View Post
    Depends, it could be excess from the PCV (blow back, pressurizing the valve cover, etc). Do you have oil in the IC?

I am fighting the same issue with the SRT-4 right now. It's forcing air through the PCV while under boost which is causing oil to spew out the vent and into the cold side pipe before the turbo (which is causing so many other problems).
    It will be alot of work to get to my Intercooler, what other problems is it causing?

I took a look on other forums and they say oil post turbo is normal, especially if your PCV running back into your intake.

So i guess its normal, thats 38,000 miles of oil build up, and i have no measurable amount of oil consumption.

Still would like a second opinion.
    Last edited by Markj2222; 01-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Manual 6
    Mods: Trifecta Tune ~22 PSI, 8-11 *Timing advance , 12:1 AFR
    Injen SRI (removed), Water/Meth 50-120 ML/min
    Turbonetics 11038-BB, 2.5 inch exaust, magnaflow muffler.

Next: Brakes that work...

Tires:
    Firehawk Wide Oval-215/60R16
    Wont rest until i reach 200 WHP

Handbrake Released
    I don't believe the Cruze has a feedback from the exhaust in to the turbo intake like some cars. That looks like condensation and dirt to me. If it was oil you would have to be burning the oil through your engine, then feeding it through the exhaust, squeezing the oil through the turbo impeller seals, and back to the intake at which point it would be re-burned a second time (and would no longer be in an oil like form due to combustion). Plus there would be other signs such as blue smoke and lowered oil level.

My guess is it is either condensation and dirt, or slight oil from the turbo seals/oil, or a little bit of both. Nothing to be worried about.
    2012 Cruze Eco MT

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Markj2222 View Post
    It will be alot of work to get to my Intercooler, what other problems is it causing?

I took a look on other forums and they say oil post turbo is normal, especially if your PCV running back into your intake.

So i guess its normal, thats 38,000 miles oil, and i have no measurable amount of oil consumption.

Still would like a second opinion.
    Pull the PCV line and check for oil to make sure thats the cause. If it is then I recommend a catch can and a check valve.

check_valve.jpg

I literally just got this in the mail. It's the check valve that I'm putting on the SRT-4 to fix that issue.

You might not have a lot of consumption but it could start blowing out of the tubes and causing a bad smell (or fire). But you certainly don't want it getting into your cylinders. But we need to figure out where it's coming from.

What does it look like inside the TB? Same issue? Does the blade have a residue on it?

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MyShibbyEco View Post
    I don't believe the Cruze has a feedback from the exhaust in to the turbo intake like some cars. That looks like condensation and dirt to me. If it was oil you would have to be burning the oil through your engine, then feeding it through the exhaust, squeezing the oil through the turbo impeller seals, and back to the intake at which point it would be re-burned a second time (and would no longer be in an oil like form due to combustion). Plus there would be other signs such as blue smoke and lowered oil level.

My guess is it is either condensation and dirt, or slight oil from the turbo seals/oil, or a little bit of both. Nothing to be worried about.
    You're thinking of the EGR.

BOOOOST!
    Its normal for a turbo car unfortunately. Titan gave great advice on taking care of the issue
    '12 Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi

'05 GSXR750 - Big ole turbo.

Correct GM will say some oil would be normal for a turbo vehicle !
    Stage 0 Vtuned 174HP/177TQ / Per GM Torque PID 174hp at 5527 rpm (165 lb-ft @ 5527 rpm), Peak 177TQ at 3500 rpm 19 PSI Boost. Latest Vtune 21 psi boost 178HP/201TQ / Per GM Torque PID

Resident Tater Salad

The Cruze doesn't really use a PCV system that's entirely effective at removing oil blown past the turbo seals, so there will be some oil in the charge pipes.

A catch can/separator box will prevent this, if you're so inclined to rig one up.

One of the coolest designs I've seen was a built-in catch can on a car that separated oil vapors, condensed them back into oil, and put it back in the oil pan. But unfortunately, it clogged up usually within 5 years and required massive disassembly to replace or clean the system.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=28487
    ^Repair procedure, if you care to look at it.

Last edited by jblackburn; 01-25-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Autocross Champion
    Since you're somewhat new, you may not have seen this message from Trifecta

Special Message from Trifecta Performance and Insane Speed Motorsports

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.